Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2015, 07:40 AM   #1

Tag Hub Oil Leak

I noticed a small amount of oil on tag wheel below chrome hub cover. Removed chrome hub cover and found small bolt and washer laying in chrome hub cover. I then found the missing bolt location on hub oil seal. Upon checking remaining hub oil seal bolts, I found another finger loose. Spoke to Spartan and was instructed to apply loc-tite and re-install bolt and washer since oil level was still good. Could have resulted in a serious issue had I not seen the oil on wheel!! Will now check all hub oil seal bolts. Tommy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hub leak 1.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	96265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hub leak 3.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	96266  

Ourrvtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2015, 08:47 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RW8804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourrvtrip View Post
I noticed a small amount of oil on tag wheel below chrome hub cover. Removed chrome hub cover and found small bolt and washer laying in chrome hub cover. I then found the missing bolt location on hub oil seal. Upon checking remaining hub oil seal bolts, I found another finger loose. Spoke to Spartan and was instructed to apply loc-tite and re-install bolt and washer since oil level was still good. Could have resulted in a serious issue had I not seen the oil on wheel!! Will now check all hub oil seal bolts. Tommy
Thanks. I know that I don't check the hub oil levels and rely on the assumption that a leak would be visible like yours. I do remember being told that a very small leak looks worse than it is, since the spinning tire spreads the leaked fluid around.

In fact during my CDL exam, the vehicle I was testing on had a small hub leak, and part of the test was for me to notice the leak and then use judgement to tell the examiner that it was not enough to take the vehicle off the road.
RW8804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:03 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourrvtrip View Post
Tommy,

Good one. I will add this check to my yearly hub oil servicing.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:11 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
In fact during my CDL exam, the vehicle I was testing on had a small hub leak, and part of the test was for me to notice the leak and then use judgement to tell the examiner that it was not enough to take the vehicle off the road.
I too, when taking my NCDL exam, checking the hubs for leakage was a part of the walk-around safety check. When I told the examiner that I was check the hubs for leaks, he praised me saying that the majority of people taking this part of the test will fail this particular issue. I have to admit, that prior to taking the exam, I was instructed by a CDL OTR driver that this would be part of the exam.

It is now a part of my walk around before each and every travel day.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #5

I had the right rear Tag axle seal fixed yesterday for the third time.The first two times I saw the oil leaking In was in Texas. Yesterday I got it fixed in Maryland. I'm not sure what is causing it but I hoped they got it this time . I look for oil on the rims quite often now.

Jim and Judy Thompson
2014 Entegra Anthem 43DEQ
2014 F150 Ford
FMCA 316757
Texas Jim 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:59 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the heads up. I just washed my rear wheels after three rear end changes and found the same oil leaks. Not sure if it is from the rear end changes or a hub seal. I should know by the time I get to Entegra and Spartan.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:59 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan will change the Stemco parts if there is a problem. Like I said earlier, a small leak looks way worse than it is.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:20 AM   #8

I having my drivers side tag leak fixed under Spartans TSB1334001 in two weeks which also call for checking Stemco Cover Studs.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:30 AM   #9

The oil leak often is a result of an overfill. Check the fluid level. There is a min and a max line.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I too have noticed this same Tag leak in the past. Took the coach to a Spartan/Freightliner facility in Flagstaff, Arizona about 18 months ago and they replaced the large seal and topped off the oil. Since then I've noticed the same oil spray around the rim but it is minimal so before every trip I check the oil level. I haven't had to replace any oil so I am thinking this is a chronic problem that Spartan needs to address because it looks a lot worse than it could turn out to be.
LarryLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:19 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I agree. Mine has been replaced twice and still leaks a little.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:33 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Stemco hub seal covers tend to do that unless you tweak them a bit. The first step is to remove the hub cover and apply black silicone RTV, such as Permatex Ultra-Black, to both sides of the gaskets. Then reinstall the hub caps, being sure to tighten the bolts correctly.

The second source of the leak can be the retainer ring that holds the clear sight window in place. Those Torx screws also loosen up. When that happens the super thin clear plastic gasket is generally shot. I removed it and replaced it with clear RTV silicone and retightened the screws. No more leaks after that.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:36 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
One other thing to look for. I had a slight leak in the right front hub on my Cornerstone. When I had it checked at Spartan last August during Spartan Academy, they said that they thought it was slightly over filled and it would stop soon - but keep an eye on it.

5000 miles later - still leaked. Had some warranty work at Lazy Days and asked them to check it out. Bad hub seal. However, when they check these seals, they check both wheels on the axle and the outer and inner seals. The inner seal on the D/S was leaking as well.

The tech told me to crank the front wheels hard over occasionally when I pull into a campground and look at the inner part of the wheel. It will be dirty from brake dust but, if it is dirty and wet - probably a bad seal. I will add this to the list of things to check.
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippsfl View Post
One other thing to look for. I had a slight leak in the right front hub on my Cornerstone. When I had it checked at Spartan last August during Spartan Academy, they said that they thought it was slightly over filled and it would stop soon - but keep an eye on it.

5000 miles later - still leaked. Had some warranty work at Lazy Days and asked them to check it out. Bad hub seal. However, when they check these seals, they check both wheels on the axle and the outer and inner seals. The inner seal on the D/S was leaking as well.

The tech told me to crank the front wheels hard over occasionally when I pull into a campground and look at the inner part of the wheel. It will be dirty from brake dust but, if it is dirty and wet - probably a bad seal. I will add this to the list of things to check.
Thanks!!!

Tags
leak