Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2022, 07:33 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Taking out the Hose Reel...

Our hose reel has died--motor runs, but reel doesn't move. There's probably a plastic gear in there that's stripped. I'm planning to replace the whole thing and start fresh.

It doesn't look like it's coming out of there until the wet bay control panel is off. And that looks like a major job I don't want to tackle.

Is there some trick I'm missing?

My plan at the moment is to simply cut the panel "south" of the fresh water and tank cleaning inputs (and the hose reel switch) and get rid of everything below. Once that stuff is gone, could probably re-plumb the water filter in a better position anyway. I'm not crazy about destroying the panel...

I'd dump the panel door, put a towel holder on the inside of the door, and call it a day. Use the black trim on the panel door to cover the edges of the cut.

And yeah, it's a little dusty. Went to AK and back this summer.

Anybody have any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2525.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	372706  
bsaldeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2022, 08:34 AM   #2

It is really not as bad as it looks. I had to take mine out to repair rodent damage to some wiring, also water hose had a deep twist next to the reel that kept it from working. After studying the panel for some time it really is just a few screw on hose connections, wiring plugs and a few screws. The panel does have to to be maneuvered to get it out of the bay though. Probably could do it again in a couple hours this time.
BEE1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaldeen View Post
Our hose reel has died--motor runs, but reel doesn't move. There's probably a plastic gear in there that's stripped. I'm planning to replace the whole thing and start fresh.

It doesn't look like it's coming out of there until the wet bay control panel is off. And that looks like a major job I don't want to tackle.

My plan at the moment is to simply cut the panel "south" of the fresh water and tank cleaning inputs (and the hose reel switch) and get rid of everything below. Once that stuff is gone, could probably re-plumb the water filter in a better position anyway. I'm not crazy about destroying the panel...

I'd dump the panel door, put a towel holder on the inside of the door, and call it a day. Use the black trim on the panel door to cover the edges of the cut.

And yeah, it's a little dusty. Went to AK and back this summer.

Anybody have any ideas?

Before and after pictures…..Click image for larger version

Name:	67253351356__751257BE-10F5-4784-B336-04FCAB038563.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	617.7 KB
ID:	372720Click image for larger version

Name:	67392212338__8133286C-FFD2-45F2-898B-D75496334F37.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	591.5 KB
ID:	372721
BEE1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:02 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEE1234 View Post
Before and after pictures…..Attachment 372720Attachment 372721
Thanks! But yours looks a different model though...
Old 08-03-2022, 11:30 AM   #5

His is different. If you don't mind cutting, cut it straight across above the reel, move the filter to the side wall and remove the hose reel assembly. If not, you have to disconnect everything and it will probably bend up the panel getting it out.
You can always take some silicone and seal the panel where you cut it. But that is to just fill the gap if you put the lower section back in.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:36 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

It is possible to remove the hose reel without cutting the white panel.

There are several screws holding the white panel in place. Once those screws are removed, it's possible to spring the white panel outward enough to get the hose reel out. On mine, the reel is designed with four attachment points to the floor of the wet bay. Fortunately, there were only three self tapping screws, the easiest three to access, used to hold it in place. It's not "easy", but, it is doable.

Southwire has modified the clutch mechanism for the hose reel (same mechanism ad the power cord reel). I'm not sure when the new drive clutch was incorporated, but it was after my '18 was manufactured. Here's a description of the installation process: Shoreline Reel Clutch Mod.pdf

It's available here: https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com...waAoIBEALw_wcB for $70.29.

Take care,
Stu
Old 08-03-2022, 12:46 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Bob, I had the one in my 14 out and it wasn't that bad. Before cutting it up, give Entegra a call. I am sure the know the short cut of replacing the hose reel. It's a common repair or replacement item.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 02:24 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I just had the modification done to my hose reel that STU mentioned above. I bought the kit from Shoreline and NIRVC Lewisville did the work. The tech said he did not remove the big cover. He removed the screws and pulled it forward to remove the reel. Only three screws holding the reel. He said he used a 90 degree ratchet to remove the right front screw. He said the rebuild was no problem if you followed the directions.
dcphil_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 03:58 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dowdle View Post
His is different. If you don't mind cutting, cut it straight across above the reel, move the filter to the side wall and remove the hose reel assembly. If not, you have to disconnect everything and it will probably bend up the panel getting it out.
Thanks Bobby. I'm sort of leaning towards just leaving the panel out and re-plumbing the little water filter. It's hard to wrap the water hose on the reel through that little hole--much easier to wrap it when you have access to the reel (like the AC reel is much easier to work with).

Anyway, appreciate the pro response.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:25 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
It is possible to remove the hose reel without cutting the white panel.
Thanks, Stu. I appreciate the input!
Old 08-03-2022, 07:31 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcphil_98 View Post
The tech said he did not remove the big cover. He removed the screws and pulled it forward to remove the reel.
Hmmm. It does seem like it *should* be possible, but looking at it, hard to see how. Once I get the reel, I'll give 'er a shot, and if it looks tough, I'll have the sawsall at the ready!
Old 08-03-2022, 08:08 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Thanks, Stu. I appreciate the input!
Bob, I've had my hose reel out twice (that's a whole other story). Much easier the second time because I knew the right moves. Really, it's not too difficult. Once you get the white panel screws out, there's plenty of flex in the panel to reach around and remove the three self tapping screws holding the reel to the wet bay floor. A little maneuvering of the reel over the 3" PVC for the gravity dump and it comes out without too much cussing.

Take care,
Stu
Old 08-04-2022, 07:12 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Bob, I've had my hose reel out twice (that's a whole other story). Much easier the second time because I knew the right moves. Really, it's not too difficult.
Thanks, Stu, and everyone else that responded. I'll give the sneak-it-out method a try before I go cutting stuff out. It's obviously possible, if not...easy.
Old 08-16-2022, 05:02 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would try to remove the panel first.

I have replaced my drinking water hose twice without removing the panel. It's a tight fit but doable. In both cases my hoses were deteriorating internally and leaving gunk on my screened hose entry point through the panel. Unless you are including a new hose with your new reel I recommend that you replace the hose while you have access. The ones I replaced were 25 feet. The panel looks like it is straightforward to remove but I have not tried it.

I did replaced the paper towel holder with some baskets and filled the open holes with rivets. A photo is attached. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wet Bay Storage Modifications.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	373865  

Tags
hose