Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2018, 07:26 AM   #1

Tandem axle or not

Looking to upgrade 2008 HR 38 foot to a Entegra wife hates the HR rough ride. Will a tandem axle help on ride comfort and road control. Will be going coast to coast long days 400-500 miles per day.
kotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2018, 07:57 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Hello Kotis,

Your current MH is built on an entry level Roadmaster chassis so most changes to larger MH will give you a different ride. The addition of a Tag will most noticeably aid in handling on windy days and benefit you by being a heavier more stable coach.

Although I don’t own an Entegra coach I read about owners that are pleased with their choice. I have also read about Entegra owners that upgrade to the HWH Active Air. You may want to consider with the upgrade to Entegra to add Active Air as well.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:59 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotis View Post
Looking to upgrade 2008 HR 38 foot to a Entegra wife hates the HR rough ride. Will a tandem axle help on ride comfort and road control. Will be going coast to coast long days 400-500 miles per day.
In short yes, IMO. I've driven from coast to coast in a single drive axle and tandem axle configurations. You won't fight a cross wind as hard, and a much smoother ride. You'll feel like you can drive longer and won't be as tired by the time you get where you're going.

Pick a windy day to do a test drive at highway speeds. You'll notice a difference.
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:13 AM   #4

Two years ago we upgraded from a 38 ft Fleetwood Providence to a Entegra Anthem.
I can only say from experience that the stability factor is much improved. Came across Nebraska into Montana with 60 mph crosswinds and really noticed the difference because of the added weight and control. 330 hp cat to 450 Cummins and still logged average of 7.6 mpg.
Be alert for added height 12'10",
Added length, turn wide and be alert for rear end travel making tight turns. You have 13 feet 3 inches from the drive axle, your pivot point, to the rear of the coach, ie, the rear end will swing left when making a right turn. However the 55 degree steering makes it possible to turn tight and get into tight places.
Understand that you will have two more tires to replace eventually.
Also, you will have to plan ahead for stops as the max length sometime can make it dicey to get into some parks. Although because of the increasing trend of the 45' coaches, many of the parks are adjusting to larger sites. We just came back from a 60 day trip through Canada and Alaska and the sites, while at a lesser level than the lower 48, were usable.
Bottom line is I am happy with the tag axle and the DW enjoys the smooth and quiet ride of the Entegra.

Good luck...The Balladeer
Balladeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:46 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
All the difference in the world. Drive one and you will see, have your check book with you.

We had the same chassis a Mountain Master non tag, them moved up to the MM with a tag, didn't even feel like the same chassis.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Nickels View Post
Hello Kotis,

Your current MH is built on an entry level Roadmaster chassis so most changes to larger MH will give you a different ride. The addition of a Tag will most noticeably aid in handling on windy days and benefit you by being a heavier more stable coach.

Although I don’t own an Entegra coach I read about owners that are pleased with their choice. I have also read about Entegra owners that upgrade to the HWH Active Air. You may want to consider with the upgrade to Entegra to add Active Air as well.
Is active air a system for the air bags?
kotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:10 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Unless financial catastrophe strikes, when (if) replacing our current coach, I would never be without a tag again. Big improvement from the previous single rear axle coach.

-
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
We have a classic 2013 Entegra anthem and then we also installed 8WH active air my wife really notices the difference she says it feels like we’re driving a luxury car all the time

Also the tag axle is the only way to go for added comfort
Old 09-12-2018, 10:57 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

I also had a single axle (Beaver) at one time. I now drive a classic Entegra Anthem (2012), with the tag axle. You just have to go drive one to fully appreciate the ride and handling. Even on my classic coach, the handling is still fantastic and 400 mile days are easily doable.

Good Luck in your search....
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:36 PM   #10

Tandem axle or not

I Also have owned 2 motor homes with the road master chassis which one being the Monaco dynasty there top level coach.. I could write a book about how bad that coach rode... I spent thousands of dollars trying to make it ride decent..
We used to have a joke in saying our dynasty was great as long as you didn’t have to drive it... there’s a reason there is no longer road master chassis being built...
My anthem drives like a Mercedes s class imo... couldn’t be happier..
Tag axles are heavier and way more to them than a single which across the board is better...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #11

Tag axle only for us for all the reasons stated above.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:39 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thought our Monaco Windsor rode nice, we were pleasantly surprised with the longer coach with a tag axle!
Old 09-12-2018, 07:26 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotis View Post
67,000 miles (including several coast to coast trips) in a 2009 Monaco Diplomat (Roadmaster RR8R chassis - non-tag axle) compared with 11,000 (one coast to coast trip) miles on our 2018 Entegra Anthem (Spartan K2 chassis - tag axle with Hadley air level system) and there is...

NO COMPARISON!

The Spartan K2 drives and rides so much better than the Roadmaster RR8R.

We did several 500+ mile days with the Spartan that we would have never attempted in the Roadmaster.

My wife swears that if she had $1 for every time I started a conversation with, "Have I told you how much nicer this one drives than the old one?", she could have paid for a fuel stop.

As has been suggested, take a test drive...and, bring your checkbook.

Take care,
Stu
Old 09-17-2018, 09:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
67,000 miles (including several coast to coast trips) in a 2009 Monaco Diplomat (Roadmaster RR8R chassis - non-tag axle) compared with 11,000 (one coast to coast trip) miles on our 2018 Entegra Anthem (Spartan K2 chassis - tag axle with Hadley air level system) and there is...

NO COMPARISON!

The Spartan K2 drives and rides so much better than the Roadmaster RR8R.

We did several 500+ mile days with the Spartan that we would have never attempted in the Roadmaster.

My wife swears that if she had $1 for every time I started a conversation with, "Have I told you how much nicer this one drives than the old one?", she could have paid for a fuel stop.

As has been suggested, take a test drive...and, bring your checkbook.

Take care,
Stu
Stu, I know where you're coming from, my DW will say the same thing. I've owned a 99 Fleetwood Discovery that I bought new and a 40ft 07 Phaeton new. I've had the 18 Anthem since March and I'm still overwhelmed every time I drive it.

I challenge anyone to test drive one and then try to talk themselves out of buying it!!!
ejl822 is offline   Reply With Quote