Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Tank Gage Accuracy

It's been discussed here before but I want to pile on a little.

I visually filled my fresh water tank yesterday to about 3/4" from the top. Both my digital read outs say 67%. Kinda disappointed. Maybe it will shake higher after we get on the road.

Does anyone know if we have float or resistance senders?
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
They are resistance on the black and grey...I would assume they are resistance on the water as well.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Then it isn't gonna jiggle to better accuracy! ;-)
Old 10-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #4

It also matters where the manufacturer installed the sensors too.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:37 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
Then it isn't gonna jiggle to better accuracy! ;-)
Can't speak to the water, but might apply given how hard most water is, as if you run with tanks empty, they dry out on the sides. Any deposits, be it slime or sediment in the grey/black, or, who knows, hard water deposits in the fresh water tank, can impact the readings of the resistance measurement sensors (happened to me on the black). Turned out, having some slosh in the tanks is useful every third or fourth road trip to "wash" the sides of the tanks where the sensors lie. This keeps the deposits from hardening and creating long term problems with the sensors.

That said, I haven't had any problem with my fresh other than slight variation of what it looked like to what it measured.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:59 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Can't be a deposit issue with my freshwater tank; this is the firs time it has been filled over about 25%.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:05 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Vance, your sensors are a lot better than mine. My fresh tank, when filled to completely full, shows 75%. When the sensor reads zero, I still have more than 1/3 of a tank left. I think the sensor was mounted incorrectly, and it is on my list of things to have addressed under warranty.

This leads me to wonder about the accuracy of my grey and black sensors, but I am reluctant to fill and test them due to the possibility of an overflow.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
From what I am seeing the tanks gauges have not improved much since the TS.
I am fortune on the TS I can see the freshwater tank in the water bay so I have visual level. I don't know about the Anthem yet.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
On the Entegras you can visually see the fresh water tank also. But not the waste tanks.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
On the Entegras you can visually see the fresh water tank also. But not the waste tanks.
Great, I'll still use my old method, visual on the freshwater fill. Drains start getting slow, dump the gray tank, bathroom starts to stink, dump the black tank. I can't remember the last time I looked at my tank gauge that are anyone's guess as to what the true level of the tanks are.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
At least on my Anthem, when it says 100% on the grey, and you continue to run water the sink starts gurgling...so I'm pretty comfortable with the sensor there (and yes, it was an error allowing it to get that full). The black appears to be fairly accurate if you follow my rec above (which came from PJ after I had a bout with 10% registering red and the toilet not flushing). Since you can't put ice cubes in to slosh around and "scour" the inside of the black, you might consider it.

I do have some background in remote sensing...my general experience is that resistance sensors can vary all over the board when it comes to accuracy.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Dave, is the reason you cannot put ice cubes in the black tank to clean it becasue of the "new" type of sensors?

I use to use the Calgon water softener beads and laundry soap method to clean the sensors, but that got to were it wasn't even worth it as the cleaning last about 2 tanks full.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
No, those of use with a center flush electric toilet have a maceator en route...crushed doesn't do any good, and would probably break what are likely plastic blades (although I don't know much about how they work). JMHO
Old 10-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #14

I read in the manual for the tank sensors that they are "self-calibrating", meaning that they reflex what is in the tank better as the tank goes through several fill/empty cycles.
I think this is because they are resistive but also have fuzzy logic? Not sure. But my fresh water tank reads 95% full, then goes done to 10% while I'm emptying it then when empty it jumps back to 25%. What kind of a "glitch" is that?
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote