Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2022, 05:28 PM   #29

FireFly returned my call this afternoon. It is sonar technology as we assumed. The tech was not aware of the issue of operating a transducer when not submerged. He plans to pursue that line of investigation further within the company. He said they see more failures with grey tank sensors than the other tanks, so we agreed perhaps my theory of dumping grey tank more frequently than black might be prevalent with other owners too.
We also discussed potential signal interference from having 12v thin wires near 120v wires. Is the macerator a 12v motor or line voltage? My sensor wires sort of dangle down and around the macerator but not really nested together with any other conductors. How about as the sensor wires run to the other side of coach to connect to the controller — any line voltage conductors nested in that area?
Ordered three sensors from FireFly which are to arrive next week with bare conductors so I need to find the correct Molex connectors. $32 and some change per sensor makes carrying spares worth it.
More to follow as we pursue this new line of investigation.
GrandPaPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2022, 05:59 PM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My sensors were not perfect on my 17 but they worked far better than what I have on the 22. Especially the gray and black tank sensors. My tank measurement results are so erratic. They change constantly. It is not that they do not work but the readings are all over the place so they are worthless.

The tank sensors are a step backwards from the 17 coach.

I dump black then gray anytime I dump. So at least for me I dump them both the same amount of times. But I agree the reason I am dumping is gray water level. I pretty much go dump every day or two just to be sure because I do not trust my tank sensors.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFunlovers View Post
My sensors were not perfect on my 17 but they worked far better than what I have on the 22. Especially the gray and black tank sensors. My tank measurement results are so erratic. They change constantly. It is not that they do not work but the readings are all over the place so they are worthless.

The tank sensors are a step backwards from the 17 coach.

I dump black then gray anytime I dump. So at least for me I dump them both the same amount of times. But I agree the reason I am dumping is gray water level. I pretty much go dump every day or two just to be sure because I do not trust my tank sensors.
If your fresh tank sensor is more stable than the other two then that adds to our theory since you dump the black and grey equally.
Old 04-09-2022, 10:11 PM   #32

GrandPatPat
if you find a good source for the wiring and connector, please let us know. I am going to get a couple of these sensors as well
thanks
Van
Old 04-10-2022, 07:55 AM   #33

when you switched the black and grey sensors to see which one showed up, which of the two black tank sensors did you use??
thanks
Van
Old 04-10-2022, 12:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsayler View Post
when you switched the black and grey sensors to see which one showed up, which of the two black tank sensors did you use??
thanks
Van
You are correct that there are two black tank sensors. I used the sensor that was relatively easy to access which would be the rearward one in relation to the front and back of coach. I hope the forward one does not ever fail as accessing that sensor would require removing the metal facade covering the wet bay and maybe some piping too.
Interesting that FireFly thought it important to use two sensors on black tank but only one on grey tank. The two black sensors don’t always report same levels so the system probably averages the two when present and just uses one when only one reports.

I found a Molex connector on eBay that looks the same and ordered one to see if it is fits. Will be next week to try the fit and will report back then.
In the meantime I will try to find the little tool that releases the Molex pin barbs so I can check those connections.
Old 04-11-2022, 04:55 AM   #35

Tank sensor

First. I had to replace both of my black sensors. No need to remove anything as you can reach around to get to the second sensor. That tool you need is available I believe at harbor freight or most auto parts stores. It is a little set and looks like a little piece of tubing. Very small. It goes over the barb and pushed the small ear in so you can pull the connector out of the harness. If not a tool truck will have then. Simple automotive tool
Joeniceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 06:53 PM   #36

I ordered sensors today. The example picture I got shows that they come with about 3 inch wires coming out of the sensor. I plan to cut the wires off of the old sensor and reuse the connector. At the recommendation of Firefly my plan is to use a bell cap type connectors to attach the new sensor wires to the old wires, so should be pretty easy.

Van
Old 04-20-2022, 04:26 PM   #37

2021 anthem sensors

Our fresh water sensor has been out for awhile and dealer ordered a new one. today we dumped both tanks and the sensors for grey and black went completely crazy, black would go up and down finally it seems to have started to work. Grey tank not sure if its working. I ran water for awhile and got to 20% and then let water run for 5 minutes and tank level didn't move. Not sure how long the water should run before it changes the level but I was afraid of overflowing tank. Planning to call firefly in am. to see if they can give me some advise.
lands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 05:10 PM   #38

I have my replacement sensor and Firefly doesn’t have specific install instructions to replace a sensor. Here is what I am thinking:

1. Drain Tank all the way

2. Turn off power to sensor, I am thinking both house and chassis 12 volt

3. Remove 2 screws (picture?)

4. Unwire old sensor

5. Wire new sensor in (some detail always good here)
use the belcap type of connector rather than a but connector

6. Apply some silicone grease (a lot?? or a little??) to both O rings on the new sensor

7. Insert sensor into tank, align in a certain way (this is covered well in Firefly’s info, it has to align a certain way)

8. Screw in the two screws (not to tight?? or tight??)

9. Turn power back on

Looking for any feedback/pictures from anyone who has done this.

thanks

Van

2022 Cornerstone 44B
Old 04-20-2022, 05:11 PM   #39

TruTank Install Guide - 1.22.20.pdf
Here is the file I got from Firefly on their True Tank system and it includes how the sensors are to be aligned
Old 04-20-2022, 05:15 PM   #40

The new grey tank sensor went in with no problem and after refilling the tank for ten minutes to ensure the sensor was covered with water I snapped the Molex connectors together and the sensor started reporting immediately.
I thought I had a Dremel tool on board to cut the sensor open and inspect the transducer for cracks but will do it tomorrow at son’s house.
I got 3 sets of Molex connectors on eBay (2-Pin Molex 2.13mm (.084") Connector Kit, 14-20 AWG Arcade Pinball (3-Set)). Be careful as there are several Molex 2-pin connectors in different shapes. Never could find the pin removal tool at local auto parts stores but they are on eBay too. I rigged the other two sensors for spares.
More on the old transducer analysis tomorrow evening.
Old 04-22-2022, 09:21 PM   #41

Didn’t have access to a Dremmel after all so we just melted the plastic covering off the transducer with a torch!
The piezoelectric ceramic disc was intact and had no obvious signs of cracks to the naked eye.
We exposed the wiring terminations on the disc and both conductors had continuity to themselves so each wire was good. But no continuity between them, which is what I would think to expect because the ceramic disc is an insulator not a conductor. One conductor terminated on the ceramic disc and the other terminated on the metal disc attached tightly under the ceramic disc.
I am out of ideas on what to look for next, but these findings do not necessarily disprove my theory that failures are caused by operating transducers in an empty tank.
If FireFly could program the VegaTouch to only operate the sensors on demand that would be the simplest solution. I intend to share my findings with FireFly Monday.
Old 04-23-2022, 05:50 AM   #42

Tank sensor

That would bes great ideas to make the sensor only work when pressing a switch. One problem they would have is the alarm to show full or partial full. Remind then of that factor. Other then that I think they could program that feature in. Or make it stay at 30 percent of something like that or put a timer on it to sit off the sensor after a specific run time. Interesting info. Thanks for the hard work. I have a used sensor of you want to work with that one also or tell me when to cut it open
Joeniceguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank