Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #1

Test drive

I'm being told that I can't test drive a coach until I pick out a floorplan and run numbers at the rv show. Is this normal practice? I want to drive the Anthem & the Duch Star.
Gregory0495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Who is telling you that RVOne?

Sent from my iPhone
Curtisgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #3

Time to find a different Dealer ! or salesperson , we just purchased new , would not consider without a test drive !
gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #4

Yes
Gregory0495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #5

Web just traded our 2010 Newmar Ventanna 4333 for the 2014 Enterga Aspire 42 deq , Lov The New Ride , Only missed the Comfort Steer for a few days.Everything else is awesome !
gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I would think that not allowing a test drive until other hurdles are done is a counterproductive sales technique. I understand them not wanting to have everyone drive the coach non-stop just for kicks but having to work the numbers and pick a floor plan prior will turn off some potential buyers. One of the biggest selling points of the Entegra is "how" it drives and you can only know that by putting in some seat time. After impressing a potential buyer with a drive the dealer is much more apt to clinch the sale. I think a sharp sales person should be able to read a customer as to whether or not they are a potential buyer or just nosy and offer the test drive (or not) accordingly.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #7

We test drove both gas and diesel, Ventanna, Canyon Star, and Bay Star before making our decision. When we decided on the Canyon Star we took one for about a 45 minute test drive, on freeways and back roads to make sure we liked it. Then we still didn't buy for another couple of weeks. When we came back to buy the dealer told us to drive it again before we decided. They all drive a little different. I would tell them you want to test drive and if they won't let you go to another dealer.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I-4, exit 10, for one of them.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory0495 View Post
I'm being told that I can't test drive a coach until I pick out a floorplan and run numbers at the rv show. Is this normal practice? I want to drive the Anthem & the Duch Star.
No way!

It is better to call ahead set up the demo.
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #10

Agree with Cruzer-no reason to get buyers hopes up or risk test drives if the potential customer simply won't qualify for a coach. Not the same as a $30k car. Just an opinion and not surprised. What does it hurt to "run the numbers" to find what you're in the ball park for?
DLaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
The downside to running numbers is, you surrender your financial identity to each dealer, salesman, and the internet. If you want to compare different coach and chassis combinations, at 3 or 4 dealers, this begins to change the odds of vulnerability. Also, does anyone know how this affects your credit score every time you run numbers?
Old 09-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchead View Post
The downside to running numbers is, you surrender your financial identity to each dealer, salesman, and the internet. If you want to compare different coach and chassis combinations, at 3 or 4 dealers, this begins to change the odds of vulnerability. Also, does anyone know how this affects your credit score every time you run numbers?
That is a tricky question, I did credit repair so let me try my best to answer. The credit agencies understand a individual will shop to get most competitive price, term, rate, etc... So when they see a trend of you in the market usually a couple pulls of your credit won't hurt you. The key is being an educated consumer I recommend everyone monitors their credit through equifax.com the $19.95 monthly subscription is a great plan and provides you unlimited equifax reports/scores and 3 reports from other agencies. What you have to look out for is a dealer shot gunning your application/credit report to many lenders that is where you can lose 2-4 points per pull.

Here is my best advice from being in sales and credit repair. KNOW what you qualify for, don't rely on a finance manager. I can't tell you how many people I spent hours negotiating with for a few bucks to watch them give it all away and much more in the finance office. Educate yourself get your own report from Equifax(they are most conservative on scoring), find out what lenders best fit your financial situation, call that lender directly and tell them what you are looking at, and ask what their APR tiers are, for example 3.9% apr requires a credit score of 725. Ask the dealer who is doing your financing right now? Who is buying the deepest? Who is extending best rates? Don't take no for an answer, and don't let them start spinning you.

http://www.equifax.com/premier/
Flynryan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #13

I would agree to looking for another dealer to speak to. I would never buy without a test drive.

When we were at the FMCA rally last month we were invited twice to take test drives; we never even had to ask. Granted at one dealer exhibit we had sat there for over an hour talking their ear off about the coach in question. That alone probably contributed to them offering the test drive.

We are headed to Pomona next month to do more comparisons and hope to be allowed to test drive then.
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #14

I agree with Wrenchead, I don't share any info re my credit, job, ect I have with any salesman or dealership unless I have too. And I never have too until I'm ready, I get to decide that. I have never had to have my credit fixed, and I don't let just anyone know all my info. I just tell the salesman it may be a cash deal, and I won't know that until I find what I want( which is true). I have never had a problem doing it this way. I just don't like all my info out there if it doesn't have to be.

I do agree you have to have your financial house in order and know what you will qualify for, or what you can afford, but don't rely on any dealership personel to tell you that. You shouldn't be out looking at MH if you don't even know the "ballpark" you can afford.

When we bought ours, absolutely no money exchanged hands until the day we picked up our MH. We actually decided that day if we were going to finance anything or pay in full as we had been pre approved thru our bank if we wanted to take out a loan. Again nothing a salesman needs to know just to get a test drive.

I think what people need to know is there are alot of unscrupulous dealers and salesman out there and you need to watch what you do with your credit info. One salesman tried to tell me that they needed to run my credit BEFORE they could even talk price. He wanted to make sure I could afford it(like I need his approval)....I then told him we were most likely going to pay cash, and then he told me that I would need to give him a $5,000 check to be used towards the purchase of the MH to get a price. I smiled and thanked him, and started to walk to my car and he asked me where I was going, I told him "to another dealer". He ran into the sales office, and brought back the sales manager, who told me he was "just kidding, lets go inside and talk", I drove off. I called their Corporate Office and they said "oh they are not supposed to do that we'll talk to them".

To anybody looking for a MH, they are not doing you a favor by selling you a MH. You are the customer, they need customers or their doors close. There are plenty of dealerships that will treat you right. Take your time, look alot, do your research, and you will find the right feel and someone you trust. Once you find that then start talking about the money end. Just my opinion, sorry it got long winded, it's just one of my pet peaves.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote