RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2020, 06:56 PM   #1

The Toad for our Entegra

I know there is another forum dedicated to toads, but I am more interested in what other Entegra owners think. I am considering selling my Tesla S (even though I love it), because I think I could get a pretty nice toad to replace it if I sold it. Wondering what would be the best option. Just wife, me and pup. Looks like trade in on my Tesla is around 60k.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2020, 07:59 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I’d say sell the Tesla and buy a $15k jeep with ac, pay the $5k to have a shop do everything to set it up for towing, and have a very versatile toad and 40k in your pocket. Just sayin..... The pup will appreciate it when you’re in a restaurant or at a museum or whatever.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:13 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We purchased a new toad earlier this year. Nothing like your Tesla, Mercedes, BMW, etc... that can be toad 4 wheels down without major modifications.

We ended up going with a Ford Edge ST. Only the ST is towable in 2020. We looked at Lincoln version of the Edge called the Nautilus which is about as close as you can get to a high end luxury vehicle that can be towed with no modifications. Maybe Some of the higher end full sized pickups can be pulled. We just went through the dinghy towing guide and looked for what vehicle we liked best.

I would love a nice luxury vehicle like an E class Mercedes or Tesla that could be towed 4 down. We thought about getting a trailer but wanted to keep things simple because we move often.

Good luck.

Hal and Pam
2017 Entegra Cornerstone - B
2020 Ford Edge ST
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:37 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
We like our Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit. And I miss my Mercedes. But the Summit had enough nice touches, a decent ride and still gives us the ability to off road a bit if we need it and plenty of room for our three pumps in the back. Rick is a little in love with the RAM 1500 Laredo (I think thatís the model) so we may have a truck in our future but I donít think the pups will like it as much. Weíve kept the GC longer than any car weíve owned - itís worked well for us.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:02 PM   #5

Keep the Tesla...OMG �� KEEP THE TESLA !!!! and then pick up a used grand Cherokee or wrangler for 10 or 12K and run it into the ground.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:15 PM   #6

We tow our Ford Raptor. We love it...
grsack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:43 AM   #7
GKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Iíd say sell the Tesla and buy a $15k jeep with ac, pay the $5k to have a shop do everything to set it up for towing, and have a very versatile toad and 40k in your pocket. Just sayin..... The pup will appreciate it when youíre in a restaurant or at a museum or whatever.

I have a Jeep Wrangler that required very little work in having the tow bar hardware and Roadmaster Instabrake installed for about $2,500. The Jeep with automatic or manual transmission doesnít require any modification. Quick hookup and disconnect to the RV. The Teslaís canít be towed 4 down as it will cause severe drivetrain damage.
GKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKW View Post
I have a Jeep Wrangler that required very little work in having the tow bar hardware and Roadmaster Instabrake installed for about $2,500. The Jeep with automatic or manual transmission doesnít require any modification. Quick hookup and disconnect to the RV. The Teslaís canít be towed 4 down as it will cause severe drivetrain damage.

What about Automatic Jeep Rubicon or Sahara with an AirForce One with our Spartan Chassis and tow hookup?
Old 09-29-2020, 05:17 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Bill, it will come down to how you plan on using a toad. If you are the park at resorts and go the the Country Clubs for dinner, the Lincolns would be that style. We enjoy off road wildlife view when we travel and I have a few dirty hobbies that a truck fits my needs. My toad is also my daily driver so I tow a 4x4 Chevy Colorado. Lots of good toads in between.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:01 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
There really is no good luxury toads. As mentioned, the Nautilus is now about it! You might consider waiting a bit. Jeep is coming out with a new Grand Cherokee and Wagoneer. The Cherokee hasnít had a significant redesign in 11 or 12 years so the changes should be significant. They should be towable.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:25 AM   #11

We find the Jeep Wrangler to be about as simple as possible to set up and tow. But I agree with the others, depends on what is important for you once you are parked. Jeep gives us a lot more options but not in the most comfortable style.
2017 Jeep JKU
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKW View Post
I have a Jeep Wrangler that required very little work in having the tow bar hardware and Roadmaster Instabrake installed for about $2,500. The Jeep with automatic or manual transmission doesn’t require any modification. Quick hookup and disconnect to the RV. The Tesla’s can’t be towed 4 down as it will cause severe drivetrain damage.
Well, nobody knows what it will do as it hasn’t been tried. It will however void your warranty if something happens. There are a few videos on Youtube of people towing Tesla’s on the end of a rope to see if they charge. They do...fast. Nobody knows what would happen after that. Risky behaviour, but then again, some people have lots of money.

On edit. Here is a video of tow charging a Tesla. Do this at your own risk

https://youtu.be/IPDxt02V0vo

radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:25 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
I'm with the Jeep Wrangler crowd. Easy to set up for tow, air force one works great. We love to go off road where possible, but it's comfortable enough to cruise anywhere we want to go. As far as luxury goes, I have no problem parking next to Mercedes, BMW's and the like when we go out on the town
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post
I'm with the Jeep Wrangler crowd. Easy to set up for tow, air force one works great. We love to go off road where possible, but it's comfortable enough to cruise anywhere we want to go. As far as luxury goes, I have no problem parking next to Mercedes, BMW's and the like when we go out on the town
Auto or Manual?

Tags
entegra, toad