RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2020, 09:22 PM   #1

The tow from hell and how to avoid it.

In another post I mentioned the exhaust pipe bellows across the top of the ISL cracked and separated sending the exhaust into the bay the DEF tank is located in. Tremendous thermal damage. Melted DEF tank, sending unit, wiring harness, battery cables, etc. and probably more that I don't know.

The unit is in limp mode due to all the codes and I did not want to do any more damage trying to drive 8 miles to Cummins Bridgeway.

Lots of research and got the BEST towing service with the best recommendations in the area. $600 flat fee for 8 miles.

First the wrong truck shows up with a tech who wants to pick the motorhome up at the rear on the trailer hitch and frame. This will not work although convincing him of this was not easy and he had to try it.....this does not work.

Time to pick it up under the front wheels and tow it correctly. The process proceeded far enough to put a huge dent and gouge in the front crossmember under the generator and bend it rearward by 3 inches.

BTW, yes I had removed the rear flap and the generator door thank goodness or the door would have been destroyed.

Then he picked up the front end and bent the generator exhaust pipe so badly I am still not sure the flange from the engine is OK. The pipe is scrap.

I did stop him in time from puncturing the sidewall of my brand new 315 Michelin because the shoe that captures the tire was misplaced. Close one as the metal was digging into the sidewall.

Pulling the drive axle was a circus as he readily zipped it out but had no plan on a place to put it other than on the grass or the carpet in the cargo bay. Carry lots of big black plastic outdoor garbage bags.

How do we cover the open axle end to keep sand and grit out and the oil in? Well if we had a coffee cup we could shove that in the opening. Carry extra large zip lock bags to slide over the exposed hub and duct tape in place. Better idea than a used Styrofoam coffee cup. There was about a pint of oil in the bag that would have spilled out on the way.

Well, this truck isn't big enough to lift the Entegra as it turns out.. So wait an hour for another truck (the one that they use for motor homes???) to arrive so the stinger will clear the crossmember and pick up the tires. Along the way the door is opened many times to put the air brakes on and then turn them off. Meanwhile the steps jam on the tire lift and breaks the gear in the motor so the steps now operate erratically. Pull the step fuse ahead of time next time.

Even this truck crushes the generator exhaust with the stinger so the pipe is removed and put in the storage bay with the drive axle.

Finally we are off to Cummins Bridgeway and the first corner in 100 feet proves the boom hits the left mirror on the Entegra. Just scratched it. The turn into the parking lot is a little sharper and the right mirror is completely torn off by the boom on the truck.

I'm guessing about $2000 in towing damage and I actually planned and prepared and tried to do it right. Heaven forbid in the dark on the side of the expressway.

Avoid a tow if at all possible and have the Jack handy if you do have to be towed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2020, 09:33 PM   #2

What a mess. Think maybe I would have tried limping to Cummins!

tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:34 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi Al,

Sorry for your "experience". I can't imagine the disappointment, multiple times, as you endured this experience.

I just hope that, someday (a long time in the future), you'll be able to look back on this and have some appreciation that your experience has provided us a learning experience and, perhaps, smile.

Thanks for sharing.

Take care,
Stu
Old 06-03-2020, 09:34 PM   #4

Al:

So sorry to read your story and so sorry to hear of your extensive damage. WOW!! Thanks for putting up your painful story.
Please post how this is handled by insurance. Whoís insurance covers and what you recommend for all of us in the future if tow is needed.

It has always scared the crap out of me. Iíve had several situations where it was offered but my opinion was that I would try just about anything to avoid a tow of my coach and I have been lucky and avoided.

Again, so sorry to read your experience!!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:09 AM   #5

wow.. yes.. good reminder to avoid ever being towed if at all possible..

your experience sounds absolutely irritating to all levels..

I hope you can re-coop in all ways...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:10 AM   #6

What a cluster! Sorry to hear about that damage on top of all the other. Sounds like the tow company should be liable for this damage. Good luck on all of it.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:53 AM   #7

so far he tow company has agreed to pay for all the towing damage. I don't think they have any idea what that mirror is going to cost so I'll reserve judgement until I see them actually pay the bill.

The tow truck drivers were very apologetic and actually phoned in the issues so the tow company was informed as things happened. Most of the problem came from their equipment which was just not the perfect combination of adapters and lifting details which will be present on any large wrecker.

Motorhomes, especially Entegras are just very time consuming and difficult to tow.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
What a mess. Think maybe I would have tried limping to Cummins!
Not really an option as the POS will barely creep along in limp mode. You really cannot drive it..
Old 06-04-2020, 05:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestal View Post
In another post I mentioned the exhaust pipe bellows across the top of the ISL cracked and separated sending the exhaust into the bay the DEF tank is located in. Tremendous thermal damage. Melted DEF tank, sending unit, wiring harness, battery cables, etc. and probably more that I don't know.

The unit is in limp mode due to all the codes and I did not want to do any more damage trying to drive 8 miles to Cummins Bridgeway.

Lots of research and got the BEST towing service with the best recommendations in the area. $600 flat fee for 8 miles.

First the wrong truck shows up with a tech who wants to pick the motorhome up at the rear on the trailer hitch and frame. This will not work although convincing him of this was not easy and he had to try it.....this does not work.

Time to pick it up under the front wheels and tow it correctly. The process proceeded far enough to put a huge dent and gouge in the front crossmember under the generator and bend it rearward by 3 inches.

BTW, yes I had removed the rear flap and the generator door thank goodness or the door would have been destroyed.

Then he picked up the front end and bent the generator exhaust pipe so badly I am still not sure the flange from the engine is OK. The pipe is scrap.

I did stop him in time from puncturing the sidewall of my brand new 315 Michelin because the shoe that captures the tire was misplaced. Close one as the metal was digging into the sidewall.

Pulling the drive axle was a circus as he readily zipped it out but had no plan on a place to put it other than on the grass or the carpet in the cargo bay. Carry lots of big black plastic outdoor garbage bags.

How do we cover the open axle end to keep sand and grit out and the oil in? Well if we had a coffee cup we could shove that in the opening. Carry extra large zip lock bags to slide over the exposed hub and duct tape in place. Better idea than a used Styrofoam coffee cup. There was about a pint of oil in the bag that would have spilled out on the way.

Well, this truck isn't big enough to lift the Entegra as it turns out.. So wait an hour for another truck (the one that they use for motor homes???) to arrive so the stinger will clear the crossmember and pick up the tires. Along the way the door is opened many times to put the air brakes on and then turn them off. Meanwhile the steps jam on the tire lift and breaks the gear in the motor so the steps now operate erratically. Pull the step fuse ahead of time next time.

Even this truck crushes the generator exhaust with the stinger so the pipe is removed and put in the storage bay with the drive axle.

Finally we are off to Cummins Bridgeway and the first corner in 100 feet proves the boom hits the left mirror on the Entegra. Just scratched it. The turn into the parking lot is a little sharper and the right mirror is completely torn off by the boom on the truck.

I'm guessing about $2000 in towing damage and I actually planned and prepared and tried to do it right. Heaven forbid in the dark on the side of the expressway.

Avoid a tow if at all possible and have the Jack handy if you do have to be towed.
Some excellent advice, thanks and feel for your situation
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:02 AM   #10

The only way to assure damage free towing of a motor home is on a flatbed. You need to insist that the tow company sends the correct equipment.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:06 AM   #11

Wow. What a mess. :
Is there any instructions on towing your rig in the owner's manual?
I have never owned a MH but planning on one.
What a disappointment.
How bad was the tire? Could there be damage to it that could show up later? Ie a blowout?
Thanks for posting your experience.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:29 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Al, when I needed a tow due to a screw in the radiator , on the side of the road , Middle of nowhere Arizona, a Few years back, took coach net 3 tow trucks and 12 hours to get the correct size truck to me. Thankfully, an email to Joyce at 2Am,(5 AM her time,and she replied immediately!) got the right folks at coach net involved.

Like you, the first two wanted to tow by the frame.. but I recalled a post from IRV2 (Gary Jones,I think) explaining what and how of towing our Entegras. First 2trucks both replied “you need a bigger tow truck”
Good luck !
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:57 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
There is a document that shows how to tow an Entegra and what all needs to be done as well as the size of the tow truck needed (if I remember correctly). I keep a copy in my Anthem, but not there right now or I would post it. Maybe someone else that has it will? I think we got it at the Spartan Academy, but not positive.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:12 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hopefully the towing company will pay for the damage!
I had to be towed out of a friends sideyard in Fresno CA. Tow co did around $4,500 damage to the front suspension and neither they nor Coach Net will pay for any of it. They actually stretched a pivot point out of alignment in the front suspension.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow