Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2022, 06:45 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Thermostat question

Good day all

I have a question out of complete ignorance about the location of the thermostat.

Why would engineers or designers put a device used to regulate temperature in multiple zones in the coach in a closed cabinet in a closed room (half bath mid ship)?

Best

Dr. Mike
Dr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2022, 06:50 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Because that is only the controller. The actual sensors are out in each area.
Later...
Ray
RayandWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 06:55 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Look for small unexplained devices attached to the walls or under cabinets around your rig. Those are the sensors for the thermostat. Ours is the same way, the box doesn’t have any sensors on it, it gets info from the ones out in the living spaces.
Old 04-15-2022, 07:45 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
In addition, if you extend the front Temp sending unit away from the wall it will give an accurate room reading and not so much the outside temperature. The AC and heat will run a lot less and be more accurate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-19 10.12.09.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	362487  
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 08:19 AM   #5

Yep, you are getting the straight story from everyone prior to this. What is in the bathroom is simply the controller of the thermostat system. it is not sensing temperature.

My coach has three thermostat sensors. 1.) is on the inner wall of my bedroom just inside the partition between my rear master bath, and the bedroom on the wall between the door and the outside passenger side wall. 2.) My middle coach sensor is located on the wall just outside the door of my mid bath. My sensor is down near the floor. 3.) my front sensor is the one described by Brobox. It is up near the ceiling but mounted on the wood trim right in front of where your front passenger slide comes in.

All 3 are black plastic, and look like nothing you have ever see before.

There are a ton of threads on here which deal with the dumb placement of that front sensor. It makes no sense and we owners have been talking about this dumb placement since at least 2014-2015, but Entegra keeps right on putting it in the same place. (Why?????) If you want your coach AC and heating to work well in the front of your coach, you MUST make the change described in all these past threads.... it involves spacing the sensor away from the wood where it is mounted. Where it is mounted initially, it senses the outside temp (summer's heat mostly) much better than it senses the interior temperature. You will not be happy with your AC or heat until you make this modification !! 20 minute job, even for the non-technical!

Search for it. Go to search box.... enter ENTEGRA: heat sensor placement change or words similar (or free associate until you get the right "return") and you will find it. "Search" is your friend for this stuff that doesn't make sense.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 11:02 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Yep the tstat is just a "user interface". The remote temp sensors don't even connect to the tstat, they connect to the control module inside each AC roof unit.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11pB...w?usp=drivesdk

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i1YVGDUWV2aWkMmC6

Your 2014 may have a different model than shown in the pdf link but the principle is the same.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 12:17 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
In addition, if you extend the front Temp sending unit away from the wall it will give an accurate room reading and not so much the outside temperature.

Nice tip! Thanks…
bsaldeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 11:28 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Wow, you guys are awesome.
We all need additional education as we expand our horizon.

Thanks

Dr. Mike
Dr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 11:33 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaldeen View Post
Nice tip! Thanks…
I used two pieced of plastic tubing cut to 3/4 inch spray painted black and 1 inch screws. I shoved some insulation in the hole and dabbed black spray paint on a QTip on the insulation to stop the warm air from flow onto the sensor. It really make a difference in the front cab temperature. A trick that was pasted on from Noel many years ago.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 01:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I used two pieced of plastic tubing cut to 3/4 inch spray painted black and 1 inch screws. I shoved some insulation in the hole and dabbed black spray paint on a QTip on the insulation to stop the warm air from flow onto the sensor. It really make a difference in the front cab temperature. A trick that was pasted on from Noel many years ago.
We used the black center spindles from rolls of dog poop bags. They are perfect for the job.

On another note, we had an issue with our coach when it was new that turned out to be a broken wire on the front temperature sensor. That was a bugger to figure out. The front air conditioner just kept running and would only shut off occasionally, the DW was freezing. I finally placed a thermometer by the front sensor and another one by the thermostat. After a bit the thermometer by the thermostat matched the temperature on thermostat and the thermometer by the sensor did not. Thinking I had a bad sensor I took it off the wall to see what it would take to replace it. They must have over crimped one of the wires during installation because it was broken inside the insolation. Found that pulling the wires out looking for connectors. Repaired the wire and everything worked fine. So to clarify, the thermostat will default to the temperature where it is mounted and control the A/C unit based on that if the sensor is disconnected.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 03:11 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
We used the black center spindles from rolls of dog poop bags. They are perfect for the job.
X2 - has worked well for the one over the passenger seat.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 05:46 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
And you can move the controls out of the cabinet and onto your phone by swapping out the thermostat with an Easy Touch RV thermostat. Not literally out of the cabinet since the main control will continue to live there, but with the Easy Touch you can put an app on your phone or tablet and control the functions from anywhere you are (even away from the coach if you have WiFi in your coach. Simple plug and play swap and makes life a lot easier.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:35 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgoldie View Post
And you can move the controls out of the cabinet and onto your phone by swapping out the thermostat with an Easy Touch RV thermostat. Not literally out of the cabinet since the main control will continue to live there, but with the Easy Touch you can put an app on your phone or tablet and control the functions from anywhere you are (even away from the coach if you have WiFi in your coach. Simple plug and play swap and makes life a lot easier.
I second that recommendation. Here is a link to the Micro-Air Easy Touch RV Thermostat. Make sure to click where it says "Which model do I need?" and choose the right model. The installation is a simple plug-in, and being able to adjust the temperatures from your phone from anywhere is a pleasure and a huge convenience.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 09:39 AM   #14

How is this any different from accessing VegaTouch from you phone, or is this recommendation for the non-vegatouch coaches?

Maybe I am missing something...

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat