Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2021, 03:12 PM   #1

This tool could help with DEF problems

My son works in the engineering department of a company that builds Autonomous (self-driving) cars and trucks. His job is to get these vehicles to fail. Of course they have some pretty handy computers that they use.

He brought one home to see if it would work on the Entegra but unfortunately it didn't. He did reach out to the company and they told us that they have 2 different models that would work for us. We're still researching to be sure before we buy one.

The company is Autel and they have a model MS906CV and MS908CV

The 906 sells for around $1400, and the 908 around $3000

From my limited research so far, the 908 allows you to re-calibrate everything including the Nox sensors, fuel rail, injector pressure, electronic steering and many others. It also has some verbiage in regards to the DEF system.

The 906 doesn't seem to do as much but might be enough. I'm still researching. This might be worth looking at.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2021, 10:09 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
AHS

So check this out and forward it to your son. It’s the original self driving car project. AHS - Automated highway system - 1997! This was my DW’s project. She’s the redhead behind Boxer in the 6th pic. I was in the 5th car in the “platoon” pics - Buick’s 12’ apart, hands and feet free (#21 and 22). Ahead of its time then, but a lot of the technologies are now in use in cars, trucks, and yes, motorhomes.

https://path.berkeley.edu/research/c...nsortium/photo
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
So check this out and forward it to your son. It’s the original self driving car project. AHS - Automated highway system - 1997! This was my DW’s project. She’s the redhead behind Boxer in the 6th pic. I was in the 5th car in the “platoon” pics - Buick’s 12’ apart, hands and feet free (#21 and 22). Ahead of its time then, but a lot of the technologies are now in use in cars, trucks, and yes, motorhomes.

https://path.berkeley.edu/research/c...nsortium/photo

It is amazing what they can make these cars do. It's also scary when the cars screw up and the computers resist.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:50 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
From my limited research so far, the 908 allows you to re-calibrate everything including the Nox sensors, fuel rail, injector pressure, electronic steering and many others. It also has some verbiage in regards to the DEF system.
I'm sorry--not following here---how would a recalibration help? Does the DEF sensor go out of calibration?

I've heard of people flashing their Cummins firmware to get rid of DEF issues (entirely). Tempting, but of course it could lead to other issues if you ever took it to a Cummins shop.
bsaldeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:00 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Dave, nice share and thank you. Analyzing the Autel's and price comparing. A spare DEF head is $700. and the Nexus 102P code reader that will clear the codes once the head is changed is $129. I know from testing the 102p will clear the codes, but not until the DEF head is replaced.

It would be nice if the Autel could be tested on a DEF sensor de-rate code.
new lower price on the Nexus.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEXAS-NL102...EAAOSwt0peuR~z
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaldeen View Post
I'm sorry--not following here---how would a recalibration help? Does the DEF sensor go out of calibration?

I've heard of people flashing their Cummins firmware to get rid of DEF issues (entirely). Tempting, but of course it could lead to other issues if you ever took it to a Cummins shop.

It's my understanding that sometimes a error code is sent to the computer for a slight problem but the computer doesn't know the severity of problem. With the Nox O2 censors sometimes it's simply a interruption in the ground or electrical connection that causes the computer to de-rate the diesel. The DEF system could also be effected the same way.

If you could clear a code with one of these machines and it doesn't come back immediately, you could get to a safe destination before a repair. This could not only save a tow truck, it could help prevent waiting for several days for a repair while on the road.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Dave, nice share and thank you. Analyzing the Autel's and price comparing. A spare DEF head is $700. and the Nexus 102P code reader that will clear the codes once the head is changed is $129. I know from testing the 102p will clear the codes, but not until the DEF head is replaced.

It would be nice if the Autel could be tested on a DEF sensor de-rate code.
new lower price on the Nexus.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEXAS-NL102...EAAOSwt0peuR~z

Chuck, my son is trying to figure this out for us. I'm trying to figure out what the limitations are. This machine I'm looking at will allow some sensitivity adjustments which I had no idea existed.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:42 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Chuck, my son is trying to figure this out for us. I'm trying to figure out what the limitations are. This machine I'm looking at will allow some sensitivity adjustments which I had no idea existed.
It is interesting and I am watching with interest. It would be great if it could clear EPA codes and let one get to a shop for replacement without being limited to a couple of hundred miles.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:43 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
ScanGauge clears codes…not sure if it clears all codes, but it’s a lot cheaper.

$100-$150.

Love mine—I’m a gadget guy…

https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-d/

You can pick what to monitor. I do MPG, turbo boost, trans temp and engine temp.

The cool kids probably already have that on the dash…
bsaldeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
It is interesting and I am watching with interest. It would be great if it could clear EPA codes and let one get to a shop for replacement without being limited to a couple of hundred miles.

I called and talked with the Autel tech support people today. Once someone buys one of these scanners, there's a support forum well as technical advice on how to resolve a problem once a fault code comes up.

The guy I spoke with said that the MS906CV will clear all of the codes associated with the def system but if the problem isn't resolved, the code would return. How long you could drive after a "reset" has yet to be determined. He said this scanner looks deeper into issues than a scanner designed to just clear the fault codes. Hes said that with these scanners you can see exactly what the turbo, throttle sensors, fuel rail pressure, transmission shifting, and many more. If you get tired of having the seat belt beeping, that alarm is easily turned off.

How much of this we need I'm not sure.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:06 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

The guy I spoke with said that the MS906CV will clear all of the codes associated with the def system but if the problem isn't resolved, the code would return. How long you could drive after a "reset" has yet to be determined. He said this scanner looks deeper into issues than a scanner designed to just clear the fault codes. Hes said that with these scanners you can see exactly what the turbo, throttle sensors, fuel rail pressure, transmission shifting, and many more. If you get tired of having the seat belt beeping, that alarm is easily turned off.

How much of this we need I'm not sure.
Same answer I had from my tech as Cummins. They took a truck with a bad DEF sensor showing the 3031 de-rate code. They cleared it with the factory Cummins computer just to see far it would go. They made it around to the front of the building and to the stop sign just past the building. The 3031 code returned in about a block. Cummins said the same thing, until the DEF head is replaced, the EPA codes cannot be cleared with the Cummins computer, or any of the after markets. that he knew of.

The tech said they were trying to keep drivers on the road while they waited for parts, but so far nothing worked.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:14 PM   #12

A scanner of any brand can not clear a code if the cause of the code is still present. Once cause has been repaired it will allow the code to be cleared.

This is why some of us carry an extra def head. Simple swap, clear codes and off I go. I read a lot of post here as to somehow clear the code so they can drive to a repair facility. This is not possible since the failure is still present.
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:07 AM   #13

I'll probably order the Autel MS906CV this weekend. I'll play with it a bit and see what happens. So far I haven't had any real issues with the DEF system on my classic 2015 but I want to be prepared. I'll probably also order a new DEF head soon to add to my spare parts.

Since we decided to keep the "old" coach I guess I can afford to extra treasures to assure the reliability of what we have.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:35 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
One plus Dave, not see a lot of reports of Gen 6 DEF sensors failing.

Tags
ems, problem, problems