RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2020, 07:36 PM   #1

Time for new L16 Batteries

Itís about time for new L16 AGM batteries in my 2017 Aspire.

I also plan to upgrade from 2 to 4 of the L16ís which seem more suited to the coachís hunger for electricity.

Anyone purchased L16 batteries recently and able to provide suggestions on a supplier?

The most reasonably priced ones I have found online thus far are RELiON REV-L16-400 AGM at $386 ea plus shipping.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2020, 08:16 PM   #2

There are two or three identical threads on batteries, manufacturers, and costs that are on this forum right now, and within the first 30 threads in this forum.

Suggest you digest all the information in those other threads and you will have answered your question yourself.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:57 PM   #3

If price is your number one criteria, Relion or Discover batteries (both made in China) will be your leading candidates. If youíre willing to spend more to get higher-quality, made-in-the-USA batteries, Lifeline, U.S. Battery and Trojan will be worthy of your consideration.

Iíve personally used Lifeline batteries for the past 12 years or so and have been very pleased with them.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:08 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I agree with Larry. Spend the extra couple of dollars and get batteries that will last much longer. The East Penn batteries are also made in the USA with excellent quality and sold under many labels, Duracell and Deka are the most common.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I agree with Larry. Spend the extra couple of dollars and get batteries that will last much longer. The East Penn batteries are also made in the USA with excellent quality and sold under many labels, Duracell and Deka are the most common.
Chuck, I would have included East Penn/Deka/Duracell AGM batteries on my list but checking their web site it appears they don't offer an L16 AGM battery.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:06 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Chuck, I would have included East Penn/Deka/Duracell AGM batteries on my list but checking their web site it appears they don't offer an L16 AGM battery.
Hate to hear that. With my coach sitting for 3 months, and I am sure not plugged in, I will probably have short life on the Discovery batteries. Hopefully they will have them as the need may arise.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Hate to hear that. With my coach sitting for 3 months, and I am sure not plugged in, I will probably have short life on the Discovery batteries. Hopefully they will have them as the need may arise.
Chuck, you should be in great shape (not). Our coach didnít sit much at all when it was being built in mid-2017, we took delivery a day or two after it arrived at NIRVC in Atlanta, and the Discovery L16ís lasted all of 20 months. Their life may have been impacted to some degree by a charging issue that turned out to be caused by the Magnum ME-RVC Bridge, the result of which was excessive Absorb charging intervals. In any case, I replaced them with Lifeline L16ís.

I believe your new coach will have Relion AGM batteries rather than Discover, but according to PJ both brands are made in the same factory in China and Entegra only made the change because they were able to get a slightly better price on the Relion brand. As such, I wouldnít expect one of those brands to last much (if any) longer than the other.

As best I can tell, the only 6-volt deep-cycle AGM battery East Penn offers is a BCI Group GC2. See chart below from the East Penn web site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eask Penn-Deka AGM Battery Specs-2020-09-28.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	302679  
Old 09-28-2020, 06:37 PM   #8

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:17 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Let me just throw this out there.................

If you buy the better batteries say lifeline or Trojan L16-AGM, let's call it $450 each, 2 would be 900 and you'd have 400Ah (200 usable).

For just a little more you could get 2 Lion LiFePO4 batteries for around $1500 and have 200Ah (210 actually). That's only 40% more for LITHIUM.

OK so you'll need a DC-DC charger to charge them while driving (call it $350) 1 time and you will have a FAR SUPERIOR set-up, not to mention that those 2 batteries together will weigh about 1/2 the weight of a single L16 AGM battery.

I have never seen a better case for upgrading to lithium, Here are just a few of the benefits.

-Batteries charge in about 30% of the time of AGMs,
-No need to charge your batteries to 100% every time you charge them
-No huge voltage drops when using high draw appliances like a microwave or hair dryer.
-Battery life at least 2X that of AGM, 4X Flooded

The benefits of Lithium are just so great over lead acid it's crazy, and when they were 4X the price it was a more difficult decision but at a 40% difference only.......NOW IS THE TIME!!!

my .02
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:21 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Lifelines are top shelf. I had a bank of 6- L16 2Volt on my boat for about 1200 AH. Series wiring eliminates a lot of the imbalance issues with series/parallel configuration, but Lifelines or any AGM, for that matter are intolerant of chronic charge shortcomings. I killed that very costly Lifeline bank with chronic undercharging because we were at anchor and the only way to regularly charge the bank to 100% SOC was to run the generator for long periods under very low load conditions. Routine was to run the genset until the bank started to float, then shut down. Every week or so, run to full charge. Nope.

The addition of solar changed that all, and now the new 1150AH bank of Full River batteries regularly charges to full float, and they are going to last a long time.

Point being, the batteries are but a part of the system, and without a system that is properly configured, something will suffer. Short battery life, inadequate power from inverter, inadequate charging while in motion, parasitic losses while stored; it all has to be taken into consideration to have a solid, functional system that's trouble-free as possible.

Don't invest in Lifeline's if your charging system isn't up to the task- e.g: smart charging, smart alternator regulation, solar, etc. The best/most expensive batteries in the world won't compensate for a poorly configured system. If you can't routinely bring the bank to 100% SOC, or if you can't tell where your SOC is (battery monitor), you're probably better off to stay with the simplest, cheapest approach. Focusing on a single component of the system is a foolish waste of money and always results in a poor outcome.
Bsipe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
Let me just throw this out there.................

If you buy the better batteries say lifeline or Trojan L16-AGM, let's call it $450 each, 2 would be 900 and you'd have 400Ah (200 usable).

For just a little more you could get 2 Lion LiFePO4 batteries for around $1500 and have 200Ah (210 actually). That's only 40% more for LITHIUM.

OK so you'll need a DC-DC charger to charge them while driving (call it $350) 1 time and you will have a FAR SUPERIOR set-up, not to mention that those 2 batteries together will weigh about 1/2 the weight of a single L16 AGM battery.

I have never seen a better case for upgrading to lithium, Here are just a few of the benefits.

-Batteries charge in about 30% of the time of AGMs,
-No need to charge your batteries to 100% every time you charge them
-No huge voltage drops when using high draw appliances like a microwave or hair dryer.
-Battery life at least 2X that of AGM, 4X Flooded

The benefits of Lithium are just so great over lead acid it's crazy, and when they were 4X the price it was a more difficult decision but at a 40% difference only.......NOW IS THE TIME!!!

my .02
How do you get past the max 200 amp draw with 200 AH of lithiums.

Anything with L16 batteries us going to have a large inverter to power large appliances. A 3000 watt inverter can draw over 250 amps.

Battery capacity is like engine displacement, more is better.

That and your error of limiting lead acid batteries at 50 usable capacity. Try your math using 60% or 70%

50% is just a recomendation for a compromise between cost and longer life, the same recomendation you will find on lithium batteries.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:09 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
How do you get past the max 200 amp draw with 200 AH of lithiums.

Anything with L16 batteries us going to have a large inverter to power large appliances. A 3000 watt inverter can draw over 250 amps.

Battery capacity is like engine displacement, more is better.

That and your error of limiting lead acid batteries at 50 usable capacity. Try your math using 60% or 70%

50% is just a recomendation for a compromise between cost and longer life, the same recomendation you will find on lithium batteries.
Actually the Lions are rated at 150A continuous with 200A for 30 seconds, X2 should be fine, X4, no issues and in my case X8......nevermind!

Either way as far as 50% vs 40 or 30.......they still need to be charged back to 100% to avoid sulfation, they still take 3-4 times longer to charge and have a 1.05 vs 1.25 Puekert component.....LiFePO4 is without a doubt superior for off-grid, if the OP however only uses those batteries to get from RV park to RV park, then it won't matter. If he was though I'm guessing he wouldn't be thinking of upgrading to 4 from 2
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:06 AM   #13

Regarding the weight of lithium batteries versus AGMÖ

Itís absolutely true that lithium batteries are significantly lighter than AGM batteries of similar Amp Hour capacity. In some cases Ė particularly smaller/lighter motorhomes or trailers Ė that can be important.

In the case of our Entegra Cornerstone, the coach weighs about 48,000 pounds. The four Lifeline L16 batteries I have in it weigh 476 pounds. Those batteries are located pretty much dead center in the chassis, both front-to-rear and side-to-side. If I converted to lithium and the lithium batteries weighed zero pounds, Iíd enjoy a whopping 1% weight savings.

Not a knock on lithium batteries; just making the point that while there are various advantages to lithium batteries, the lower weight per Amp Hour of capacity isnít particularly significant on larger motorhomes.

Tags
batteries