Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2020, 11:45 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Tire air pressures....

Hi all - before you roll your eyes with an old questions - here is mine....

We will be departing Tucson back to Washington state in a few days so today I started the walk around and checked tire air pressures. It is presently 88 degrees and the side I checked was on the shady side. What I noticed was that each of the tires was almost exactly 10 pounds higher than when I left the house in late December and the temps were low 40s.

So my questions are: Is the temp change enough to raise the temp 10 degrees? and Since I'll be returning to cooler temps should I leave the tires where they are or return them to the original pressure and re-inflate to the correct temps when we are in cooler temps?

I'd appreciate your thoughts - - oh - original pressures were 110 front, 80 mains, 75 tag.

John
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2020, 12:33 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I would adjust them to the correct pressure before you depart. Yes, 10 lbs can seen from cold temps to warmer temps when checked in the morning. You would want to check each morning and adjust accordingly. Check the tires in the morning, preferable before the sun hits them (or one side)

I just let out about 8 lbs here in the Dallas area from temp changes, and will have to let some more out as we heat up.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:34 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkiii View Post
Hi all - before you roll your eyes with an old questions - here is mine....

We will be departing Tucson back to Washington state in a few days so today I started the walk around and checked tire air pressures. It is presently 88 degrees and the side I checked was on the shady side. What I noticed was that each of the tires was almost exactly 10 pounds higher than when I left the house in late December and the temps were low 40s.

So my questions are: Is the temp change enough to raise the temp 10 degrees? and Since I'll be returning to cooler temps should I leave the tires where they are or return them to the original pressure and re-inflate to the correct temps when we are in cooler temps?

I'd appreciate your thoughts - - oh - original pressures were 110 front, 80 mains, 75 tag.

John
A number of things change the pressure. Mine vary too. When they are higher I leave them there because I know they will go down. Temperature makes a difference but that is quite a bit. Tuscon is at close to 4,000' altitude is it not? If you live at a lower altitude that may increase the pressure. I know that, over time they will go down also so I just leave them be.

The one case where I will readjust down is when the RV has been serviced. Service people will sometimes add more air then called for on the tire manufacturer's specs. This is so that they are sure that no damage will be done from over-inflation.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 01:38 PM   #4

If they were correct when you left Wa. leave them alone. They will be back to same pressure you had when you get back. The difference in temp will definitely increase the pressure.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:18 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Expect about 1 PSI per 10° F. Bigger tires change more than little tires. Tire pressure also will change about .5 PSI per 1000 ft of elevation change. Check tire pressure in the morning before the sun starts shining on them.

I live at 7000 ft and my climate is typically cooler than most. I set my pressure at home in the morning according to a load inflation table. I don't worry about pressure changes due to temperature or elevation. As I travel I check to make sure that all tires have the same pressure when cold ±2°. If they do, I'm good to go.

Over the road truckers may go from 0° F to 100° F and elevation changes of 10000 ft in a 24 hour period. They check their tire pressure once a day...if that often.

I'm not as OCD about this as some. I've LOTS of miles RVing and have avoided tire issues!
Old 04-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you all for the advice. All of my pressures are consistent with no anomalies so I'm going to go as is and keep an eye on the monitors. I've never paid that much attention to this but we've sat for 4 months....in hindsight I've probably been lucky.

John
Old 08-11-2020, 05:18 PM   #7

Is it normal for tire pressure to increase about 20 pounds while you’re driving? My steer tires should be set at 120....I am heading south, but I see Pressures at 140 as I’m driving all day seems like a lot of increased to me? Thanks for your help in advance✝️[emoji120]
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck58 View Post
Is it normal for tire pressure to increase about 20 pounds while you’re driving? My steer tires should be set at 120....I am heading south, but I see Pressures at 140 as I’m driving all day seems like a lot of increased to me? Thanks for your help in advance[emoji3583][emoji120]
Yup, normal.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck58 View Post
Is it normal for tire pressure to increase about 20 pounds while you’re driving? My steer tires should be set at 120....I am heading south, but I see Pressures at 140 as I’m driving all day seems like a lot of increased to me? Thanks for your help in advance✝️[emoji120]
As twinboat said: normal, especially for the steer tires.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air