Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #15

You might want to consider a very important feature that some of these mentioned TPMS lack. That is the ability to measure tire pressures when the vehicle is not in motion. Some of these systems do not start reading CURRENT tire pressure for ten or twenty minutes after rolling. Two of the systems that will measure pressure at all times are the TST System and the Pressure Pro system. I have the Tire Minder system which is marketed under several different names and it is worthless until I have driven sometimes 40 or 50 miles. It is important to me to know the pressures BEFORE I take off each day.
jfb318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
jfb, that is a very good point. Thanks

Dave
Old 04-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #17

Yes TST
dan-nickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:14 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Yes! PressurePro has been in business for a long time and it is the only one, at this time, that will interface with SilverLeaf dash displays.
Tire Pressure Monitor - TPMS Safety product for RVs, towed vehicles, trucks, cars and trailers.
PressurePro Tire Pressure Monitor Accessories
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:14 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Tire Monatoring System

I have the Doran system on my Allegro Bus and Ford Edge vehicle.
Questionable coverage? Can I trust my system? My red light keeps coming on very frequently saying no signal.
I have it plugged in to the receptor and not direct wired.
Doran users help.............
parrett1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
There is also a "T valve" that allows filling air without removing your non-flowthrough sensors. TPMS, TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEMS - T-VALVES, VALVES TPMS ADAPTERS

Do you know of a T valve that you just screw into the existing valves? That would be easier than breaking down the tires to replace the valves.
Swenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #21

Just to mention that it is important to know the temperature of the tire also. The chart pressures are at "cold tire" 65 degrees. The pressure in the tire rises with the temperature. When monitoring the tire pressure you need to adjust for the ambient temperature of the tire. The operating temperature of most tires is somewhere between 90 and 120 degrees depending on the day. If your tire temperature goes above that, there could be a problem. So you need a system that will alert you when the tire goes out of the temperature range also.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrett1012 View Post
I have the Doran system on my Allegro Bus and Ford Edge vehicle.
Questionable coverage? Can I trust my system? My red light keeps coming on very frequently saying no signal.
I have it plugged in to the receptor and not direct wired.
Doran users help.............
I have the same system (actually I have Advantage Pressure Pro which is identical to Doran) and never lose a signal. But I have the repeater in the rear of my coach. Without it, the toad will not be picked up reliably as it is too far from the reciever. Your problem may be that, or it could be weak batteries. How old are your sensors?
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #23

I have TST and really like it. Easy install and seems pretty accurate.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
Just to mention that it is important to know the temperature of the tire also. The chart pressures are at "cold tire" 65 degrees. The pressure in the tire rises with the temperature. When monitoring the tire pressure you need to adjust for the ambient temperature of the tire. The operating temperature of most tires is somewhere between 90 and 120 degrees depending on the day. If your tire temperature goes above that, there could be a problem. So you need a system that will alert you when the tire goes out of the temperature range also.
This is straying a bit off topic for the OP's question on whether a TPMS is a "yes" or "no" but perhaps some of my rationale for what it can do is close enough to the topic at hand.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you just said. Let me clarify what Michelin says.

See: https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...s_Brochure.pdf

Michelin does not state what is considered a standard "cold" temp. See page 2 of link. BTW, I think I have seen some tire pressure calculators that factor in temps but I don't recall them having much to do with typical RV use. Perhaps the only use they might have is if you have one set of tires in the sun and need to compensate for that factor.

If the ambient temp is 80*, then that is your "cold" tire. It doesn't matter if it is 10* or 80*, if your tire chart says to use 100 PSI you use 100 PSI at the time you make any adjustments.

Now, if you drive from an area of 10* to an area of 50* and let the tires adjust to that 50*, you will find that your 100 PSI has increased to a higher figure because the higher temps expand the air inside the tire and increase the pressure. In that case one would need let the tires get "cold" and then remove air to bring the tire back down to 100 PSI. Of course, the converse is true.

there is also some impact of changes in barometric pressure but for the most part they are much more less a factor unless those changes are caused by significant altitude changes.

The 2 worse situations to be encountered after properly inflating tires are:

1. Encountering major DROP in temps.
2. Encountering major increase in barometric pressure such as driving from high altitudes down to lower altitudes.

In both cases that would reduce the tire pressure and, IMHO, low tire pressure is much more a problem then high pressure. Of course, if you are running tires as the max PSI, then high pressure might require a bit for attention.

The value of a TPMS is that it can help to help identify if those factors are significant enough to warrant action. Also, as a bonus they can help you know if tire temps are reasonably equal which is helpful when trying to avoid being fooled by tires heated by the sun.

FWIW, I set my TPMS pressure alerts to 5% below my target PSI and 25% above my target. My rationale is that I want to know quickly if a slow leak has encountered and also if colder temps have reduced my PSI. I am less worried about over pressure and found that 20% above target PSI gave me a few nuisance alarms.

BTW, I fire up the TPMS the night before I plan to travel to quickly see if my tires are within range and reasonably equal across each axle. From that I can generally predict if I will need to adjust tire pressure before I kick off the next day. I generally like to air my tires shortly after dusk for 2 reason. Tire temps should be reasonably "cold" and those temps should be reasonably close to early morning the next day unless other weather factors interfere.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swenster View Post
Do you know of a T valve that you just screw into the existing valves? That would be easier than breaking down the tires to replace the valves.
I don't know of one that screws on. It might not be practical to do it that way. The additional length would move the sensor pretty far from the rim. That probably wouldn't hurt the accuracy, but it might be prone to being damaged.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Tire-SafeGuard - Products

On my last two coaches and a new set on order for the new coach.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
This is straying a bit off topic for the OP's question on whether a TPMS is a "yes" or "no" but perhaps some of my rationale for what it can do is close enough to the topic at hand.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you just said. Let me clarify what Michelin says.

See: https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...s_Brochure.pdf

Michelin does not state what is considered a standard "cold" temp. See page 2 of link. BTW, I think I have seen some tire pressure calculators that factor in temps but I don't recall them having much to do with typical RV use. Perhaps the only use they might have is if you have one set of tires in the sun and need to compensate for that factor.

If the ambient temp is 80*, then that is your "cold" tire. It doesn't matter if it is 10* or 80*, if your tire chart says to use 100 PSI you use 100 PSI at the time you make any adjustments.

Now, if you drive from an area of 10* to an area of 50* and let the tires adjust to that 50*, you will find that your 100 PSI has increased to a higher figure because the higher temps expand the air inside the tire and increase the pressure. In that case one would need let the tires get "cold" and then remove air to bring the tire back down to 100 PSI. Of course, the converse is true.

there is also some impact of changes in barometric pressure but for the most part they are much more less a factor unless those changes are caused by significant altitude changes.

The 2 worse situations to be encountered after properly inflating tires are:

1. Encountering major DROP in temps.
2. Encountering major increase in barometric pressure such as driving from high altitudes down to lower altitudes.

In both cases that would reduce the tire pressure and, IMHO, low tire pressure is much more a problem then high pressure. Of course, if you are running tires as the max PSI, then high pressure might require a bit for attention.

The value of a TPMS is that it can help to help identify if those factors are significant enough to warrant action. Also, as a bonus they can help you know if tire temps are reasonably equal which is helpful when trying to avoid being fooled by tires heated by the sun.

FWIW, I set my TPMS pressure alerts to 5% below my target PSI and 25% above my target. My rationale is that I want to know quickly if a slow leak has encountered and also if colder temps have reduced my PSI. I am less worried about over pressure and found that 20% above target PSI gave me a few nuisance alarms.

BTW, I fire up the TPMS the night before I plan to travel to quickly see if my tires are within range and reasonably equal across each axle. From that I can generally predict if I will need to adjust tire pressure before I kick off the next day. I generally like to air my tires shortly after dusk for 2 reason. Tire temps should be reasonably "cold" and those temps should be reasonably close to early morning the next day unless other weather factors interfere.

It sounded like the OP was looking for advise on whether or not to purchase a TPMS. Everyone just jumped in and added what system they were using. I was just pointing out that a TPMS that monitors temperature as well as pressure is a good idea and tried to give a reason for that thinking. Yes it's off topic and I'm sure there are a thousand threads discussing it.

However I disagree on your description of "cold tire" as it related to the charted pressure. If "cold tire" varies the chart is useless. Whether it's 65 degrees of 75 degrees it has to be something not just what your tires are that day and you need to adjust from that. I would not run my front tires up to 125 PSI on a day when its 50 degrees. By the time they reached 110 degrees the PSI would be 140 and coach would ride like a buckboard. That is my experience.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:41 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
I agree with Sky Boss on temperatures and pressures. Doggy Daddy, if you are right then I suggest you tell the tire manufacturers because they don't seem to know as much as you do.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote