Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2016, 11:44 AM   #29

We had our Aspire weighed at Spartan and the chart showed 120 front and 90 for tag and drive. Coach handled well and no tire wear. Coach was full of fuel, 60 percent fresh water snd 30 percent black and gray with two passengers and storage full. The 16 Anthem is run at 115 front and 90 drive and tag handles like a dream and no tire wear. ExTire shows 128 pn front and 100 on rear after tires are warmed up. We will do a 4 corner weight at Spartan soon. 6,600 miles on coach and no tire wear. Loaded same as Aspire. I believe tag and drive should be the same and if tag is higher you will transfer weight to the front of coach (overloading front).
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2016, 03:36 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy10 View Post
We had our Aspire weighed at Spartan and the chart showed 120 front and 90 for tag and drive. Coach handled well and no tire wear. Coach was full of fuel, 60 percent fresh water snd 30 percent black and gray with two passengers and storage full. The 16 Anthem is run at 115 front and 90 drive and tag handles like a dream and no tire wear. ExTire shows 128 pn front and 100 on rear after tires are warmed up. We will do a 4 corner weight at Spartan soon. 6,600 miles on coach and no tire wear. Loaded same as Aspire. I believe tag and drive should be the same and if tag is higher you will transfer weight to the front of coach (overloading front).

The Coach was weighed at Spartan under the conditions I listed. The tire pressures were 115 95 110 when I sent them the Coach. The Coach is handling great, better than ever and I am a happy camper. The Chart says 90 will work for the mid and the tag, and I think it should be at that number.. I just do not want to make any adjustment that will throw things off. Between Entegra and Spartan they have the Coach perfect. I went to pick it up yesterday after having a new radiator installed. After tweeking the SafeT steer, I was thrilled at how it handled and rode. Sounds crazy, doesn't it? My wife says a man goes insane 10minutes of each day, guess I have used up my allowance for the week.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:53 PM   #31

That should have been 110 on the Aspire front not 120. Bad typing.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:19 AM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Diesel gem,

I do not think that adjusting your tag to 95psi will affect your handling but it will give you a smoother ride and improved tire wear. Give it a try, you can always put it back.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:46 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would like to pull this threat up again to have the experts here to help with my confusion about tire pressure.
When I left home a few weeks ago (Wisconsin), I made sure that my tire pressure was set in the morning before the sun was really up (the outside temp was about 65ºF), and the normal increase of tire pressure during driving occurred.
I am now in the Cascade Mountains of California, and we have night temps in the low 40's around here, and day temps approaching the upper 80's.

My cold tire pressure is now quite bit lower, while the pressure in the early afternoon is similar to that in Wisconsin.
Do I need to adjust my tire pressure now to the new cold temperature pressure (do I need to increase it?) or shall I leaved my tires alone, and continue my travels with the original set tire pressure?
Old 09-15-2016, 01:52 PM   #34

I dont know what your cold pressure at 65 degr F was, so I calculated for different pressures.
65 degr F/40 degr F
65 psi/ 61.2 psi
80 psi/ 75.5 psi
95 psi/ 89.8 psi.

So dont worry about the low pressure in the early morning at 40 degr F.
If you would measure in the midday at 65 degr F , you will measure the wanted pressures again.

Also driving in the early morning wont overheat the tires ( because of the more deflection so more heatproduction) because the cooling down of the tire is also better then.

So you dont need to fill to the higher advice pressures, wont hurt though.
It would give at 65 degr a higher pressure then adviced, but probably this still wont give bumping.

This is if the advice pressure is high enaugh, I am able to calculate an advice with some reserve for unequall loading R/L, pressure loss in time, to low yudged loads on axles/tires, etc.

the vehicle makers mostly only base their advicepressure on GAWR, wit no reserve for what I mentioned.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:33 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I typically run 80 PSI in the back and 75 PSI in the front I have only my weight and the house batteries in the front, but generator and all tanks plus the big storage area in the back.
I know I should go and weight the coach, but I have no truck scale close to me and work on weight gestimations.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:41 PM   #36

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tire pressure is ALWAYS set at the ambient temperature where you are before driving anywhere not some mythical calculation. That is per the tire manufacturers tire manuals. The tires are made to take the pressure rise that comes from being driven. Almost all tire manufacturers publish RV guides for their tires. I have Michelin, GoodYear and Toyo.

If you haven't weighed the RV then you should use the pressures given on the manufacturers weight sticker. It may ride rougher but at least that's better than a blowout. Very unusual for an RV to take less pressure in the rear tires than the fronts if it has four tires on the drive axle.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:02 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Very unusual for an RV to take less pressure in the rear tires than the fronts if it has four tires on the drive axle.
I agree with everything you said, but this statement caught my attention.

Our last coach was a 2012 Tiffin Phaeton. We had it weighed on a CAT scale a couple of times, and corner weighed once.

Based upon our actual measurements, accounting for a margin of error, and considering any lateral imbalance, we arrived at 115 PSI for the steer axle and 100 PSI for the drive axle. This was a 2 axle coach, so tags didn't enter the conversation.

In our specific case, the coach was very nose heavy. In fact, moving payload rearward in the bins, or offloaded completely (bed of toad) resulted in only being over the axle weight by around 200#.

The rear axle was well under weight, as were the rear duals.

In short, per the Michelin Inflation tables we were running pretty close to the maximum inflation pressure on the front, and well below that in the rear.

In speaking with other non-tag equipped owners of similar coaches, we were not alone.

While I agree with the majority of what you stated, the very last sentence was not accurate in our specific case.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:13 PM   #38

We had our 16 Anthem 44B weighed at Spartan. Tables call for 122 front and 90 for drive and tag. Our 13 Aspire ran 115 front and 85 rear. No issues at those pressures with either coach.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:17 PM   #39

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I agree with everything you said, but this statement caught my attention.

Our last coach was a 2012 Tiffin Phaeton. We had it weighed on a CAT scale a couple of times, and corner weighed once.

Based upon our actual measurements, accounting for a margin of error, and considering any lateral imbalance, we arrived at 115 PSI for the steer axle and 100 PSI for the drive axle. This was a 2 axle coach, so tags didn't enter the conversation.

In our specific case, the coach was very nose heavy. In fact, moving payload rearward in the bins, or offloaded completely (bed of toad) resulted in only being over the axle weight by around 200#.

The rear axle was well under weight, as were the rear duals.

In short, per the Michelin Inflation tables we were running pretty close to the maximum inflation pressure on the front, and well below that in the rear.

In speaking with other non-tag equipped owners of similar coaches, we were not alone.

While I agree with the majority of what you stated, the very last sentence was not accurate in our specific case.

-Matt
Please note that I said it was "very unusual" and it still is. Even you add that "it's not accurate in our specific case"
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure