Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2022, 03:38 PM   #1

Tire Pressure Sensor over pressure alert

I just had a Coach alignment done at Spartan. As part of that I had my coach weighed and tire pressures updated (now 110 fronts, 85 all rears). As part of this they reset the targeted pressure in the tire pressure system. That is great except that on a relatively mild temperature day I got the over pressure alert at a modest pressure increase (less that I would have gotten driving out west in the summer) and less than what I used to run before we reduced the cold target pressures.

Long story, but the point is I think I need to increase the systemís targeted pressure so I donít have to listen to the dinging. I think I can only do that with the special tool required to program this system. I assume that NIRVC has one at all of their shops (I have seen it at Atlanta), but I hate to make a 4 hour round trip drive to get this adjusted. Do other shops have this tool? I am spending most of the summer near Asheville and will also be in the Knoxville area. I think Nashville is the closest NIRVC location to me.

thanks for any feedback.

Van
2022 Cornerstone B
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2022, 04:30 PM   #2

Van

I know exactly what you are going through. I bought the programming tool. It is about $250 but I felt that I had to have one. NIRVC does have them at every location as should any Entegra licensed sales dealer. The fellow that was the valor salesman (Don Rigby) initially had 5 or 6 units back circa 2014 that he would loan to coach owners to do their own programming but the story I was told was that one by one, coach owners failed to return the loaner programmers back to Don and at some point the concept of a loaner was stopped because they were loosing too much money on lost programmers. Shame on the guys that stole them from Valor..!

So, I don't think that you have many options. You either buy a programmer of your own (its a good thing to have as you also read the battery life with that same programmer and sensor batteries DO crap out a lot sooner than Valor/Entegra would like you to believe), or you make your way to a dealer and have them reprogram your alarm trigger points. If a dealer was within 500 miles, I would be making an appointment to get it resolved. I'd also call them ahead to guarantee they have the programmer and know how to use it.... some of these sales operations barely know how to turn on the ignition !!!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 04:38 PM   #3

Oh, and I run 115 PSI in the 365 fronts, and 85 PSI in all the 315 rears and those numbers are all well within the Michelin tire load/inflation tables (after getting "4 Corner Weights" measured at some reliable weighing service.)

You know you should get 4 corner weights when you are fully loaded for travel, don't you? Empty or light weights are not right.... Should have all your typical travel gear, full fuel, full fresh water, at least half gray and black and then each tire position weighed. Set your pressures for the heaviest load on each axle (passenger or driver side, but then set for both sides. )(Some coaches are remarkably out of balance side to side .... there have been some really crazy numbers published up here time to time)

Gary
Old 06-13-2022, 04:59 AM   #4

We went through the same thing with our 21 Anthem. had a lot of problems getting the system to work sort of as it should and every time, we went in for service on the system we would get overpressure warnings because the system would get set but differently than the pressure I carried in the tires. I borrowed one of the tools from Don to set the pressures one time, returned it and had to go again for service, same thing so I finally purchased one of them myself. I personally think if Spartan is going to use whatever system they choose to use they should include the tool to set the pressures., free of cost. I think they are using a new system on the 23's and I am wondering if that system also needs a special tool to set the pressures. If you were close enough, I would let you use the tool that I have to reset your pressures but I
I am in the Boston area heading for Canada so we are nowhere close, but someone else may be. Just a thought. Safe travels.
hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 05:42 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I am repeating myself, but the Valor system that is currently installed is a total joke without the programming tool being included. It will never be right with out fine tuning for warm temperature operation. On the 19 and now the 21, the TPMS has not been setup for FL highway temperatures and I run with constant warning as soon as I cross the state line. Why does a simple TPMS have to be so hard for the coach owners?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:39 AM   #6

Once set correctly (but I needed Dons help in figuring THAT out), you should not need to make any changes to the system just because of environmental or highway temperatures. Now I have not been in substantially below freezing temps since I've owned this coach, but I have been at everything else at sea level or at 13,000 feet and I've had no trouble with the TPMS system once it is set properly. However, it took Entegra, its dealers, and owners/drivers at least a year or 18 months to get it all figured out, and obviously, all should have been figured out before it was ever installed on a coach for sale, but it just wasn't. It was slapped on by some decision-maker because it sounded good or someone else had introduced it to their coach. But this is the standard situation, someone decided to add something based only on the gear saleman's pitch and that is the end of testing and development.... from then on forward, its up to the dealers and most clearly the OWNERS to figure it out and make it work in real life.... some things NEVER CHANGE!!!!

The low and high pressure points are defined arbitrarily by the manufacturer + or - 20 and 30 psi change in pressure. 'll go back and get my specific notes on my coach. But what I can add here is that there is no reason for the alarms to go off in any formal driving condition (whether southern Florida or Southern Texas or ALASKA) under normal driving conditions. None. If they go off, your alarms are set wrong for you running tire pressures and pressures.... its an adjustment and in the past 30,000 miles, mine have signaled nothing other than low battery voltage ( the tires disappear permanently), and you can see those with the programmer unit!! (which is reason enough to invest in the programmer)

Typical motorhome build and sale situation with new technology.

Gary
Old 06-13-2022, 08:13 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, I have not had alarms just constant flashing amber warnings on the digital dash
On the 19 with all of the programming problems, Don Rigby said that will be corrected on future models. Fast forward to the 21......same problem. Why? The OP with a 22, same problem, why? Include the programming tool to fix the thing, or make house calls.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:23 AM   #8

Who do I call to buy one of these tools? I see a Spartanlync in Ontario

Cheaper to buy than drive multiple hours to NIRVC to get adjusted. Gary. I did get corner weights. Thanks for all the feedback
Old 06-13-2022, 09:18 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I second Van and what others have said. Sad to have to say this for a new coach. But I want / need my own programmer. How do we buy one?
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 10:20 AM   #10

Don Rigby has retired a second time. The new guy is Derek Stewart and the number he answers is 734-634-3278. If that is a problem for any reason, call Entegra CS and ask for the contact.

Also, ask them for URL of the instruction download page as you have to break and electrical/communication connection under the faux wood panel on the passenger side of dash and disconnect the three orange wires that come into a J1939 junction (??). If you don't disconnect (isolate) the dash from the canbus, then the traffic going up and down the canbus swamps the USB signal from the programmer and you will never make the connection. You just disconnect at an orange or red connector and that isolates the dash. Its right on top. Do your programming.

I have my weights and settings on a spreadsheet that I can find but here is the main issue. Don told me to set the pressure baselines to about 10 psi higher than the actual tire pressure I'm running. Then the + 20 and +30 psi trigger points will work well. My MEMORY is that the below criterion points are 15 and 20 psi which is more conservative. You cannot change the criterion, those were set by Valor, so all you can set is the baseline, and again, Don's advice was to set it 10 psi higher than the actual pressures that you are running in the tires to deal with road heat like Chuck talks about. To get it set most correctly, you need to know your "4 corner weights) (every tire position except both tires together each side on the drive axle). The general rules and my inflations should get most Cornerstone owners going. My weights and pressures were based on individual tire positions with 2 different set of 4-Corner Weights done by NIRVC and then consulting Michelin's tire/load/inflation tables for my exact tire models and size and then added 10 psi to the baselines.

Gary
Old 06-13-2022, 12:03 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks Gary. That is helpful info.

Not good that we can only set the baseline and what we have to go through to make the connection. But at least this will keep the alarms straight.

Your 10 over baseline makes since to me to keep a hot day drive from triggering on the high side but stay just over the low side when cold.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 02:56 PM   #12

I get no false meaningless alarms for roughly 30,000 miles. This strategy works.

Now be prepared. Valor/Spartan/Entegra say 5 - 7 years on the sensor batteries..... No way.. Maybe 5 if lucky. I got my first set of batteries off the "lets test this concept on early 19s off the lines built in spring of 2018 coaches" and keep these on the shelf several years doing nothing.... My first 8 batteries lasted less than 3 years !

One more thing .... my coach when weighed was at full travel weight which was around 49,000#

Gary
Old 06-13-2022, 03:58 PM   #13

The programmers used to be purchased through Don Rigby so I assume the new man and the new number is the path. (see Above)

Gary
Old 06-13-2022, 06:49 PM   #14

I have a call into him. Thanks
Van

Tags
pressure, tire, tire pressure