Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Tire pressures

When I got my coach weighed all I could get was axle weight:

Front - 15,500
Rear - 14,740
Tag - 9,620
Total - 39,860

That weight is with full fuel, 20% fresh water, ~15% in each holding tank and all pots, pans and routine miscellaneous. No food or clothes.

Reading the Michelin chart you use axle end weight or half the values above for tire pressure. I moved up to the next higher value in each reference so used 7920 for the front, 9530 for the rear and 5375 for the tag (lowest value on the chart). That results in 115 psi for the front and 75 psi for all 6 wheels at the back.

Right now my front is about 115 and each back wheel is about 85-90.

Am I using the chart correctly?
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I had similar readings and even though the Michelin charts would suggest 75, I think most of us are running 85 in the rear and tag at the weights your running.

115 looks about right for the front. I'm about a 1000 heavier and running about 118 (just cause I'm not very good at getting it right on 115.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
I had similar readings and even though the Michelin charts would suggest 75, I think most of us are running 85 in the rear and tag at the weights your running.

115 looks about right for the front. I'm about a 1000 heavier and running about 118 (just cause I'm not very good at getting it right on 115.
Same for us - we just left Spartan and the message was to run a minimum of 85 so we've got 120 front and 85 in the drive and tag even though the chart would call for less back there.

Like Dave - I got 85/85 and 85/87 and called it done. Tags are probably a bit higher than 85 too but I blame it on the sun...........
Old 08-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #4

You should weigh at each tire. Our right front is much higher than the left front and you need to use the higher number for purposes of determining the correct psi in all tires on the same axle.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Bill is correct. If you have a large side to side imbalance, look into having the ride heights adjusted. I got mine from over 1000 pounds heavy right front to about 200 pounds heavy left front.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #6

Bill is right. You need to weight each corner separately. First to learn if you are out of balance and second to determine tire pressure. I ran 95 on all four corners of my Journey all though the tires maxed are 110. Just remember that cold tire is 65 degrees ambient and adjust. If the factors say 95 at cold tire and your in Florida and it's 100 in the shade, pump it or by the time you get to Minnesota your tires will be flat.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:39 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I have been looking for a place to get corner weights since we bought our first coach last March. If anyone knows of a place in north Texas or between here and Arkansas let me know. Failing that it may have to wait until I go to Spartan.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:15 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
See if the RVSEF schedule helps...

Weighing Schedule | RV Safety.com
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:12 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
I have been looking for a place to get corner weights since we bought our first coach last March. If anyone knows of a place in north Texas or between here and Arkansas let me know. Failing that it may have to wait until I go to Spartan.
Vance,

There has been a lot of commentary about 4 corner weights and you will want to have it done, if for no other reason than your self assurance. The problem is finding a place to get it done. I got a CAT weight just to see where I was by axle, and finally got a four corner weight at Spartan.

Prior to that, I just tried to be smart about how I loaded my basement, and to some degree topside...and trusted that Entegra understand balancing weights in their engineering of each coach design (and since there aren't many configurations that trust increased). I haven't seen too many posts from ENTEGRA OWNERS that indicated weights way out of line...so I think you can wait till you get to Spartan. The reason I say that is when visiting Spartan, I had about 900 lbs difference between right and left front side. The Spartan think tank indicated that as long as you're within 1500 lbs, you're good (of course adjusting the tire pressure to the highest corner weight which was 115 for the front). After all the commentary, 900 seemed a lot; I questioned; I was assured by Spartan that I was good (Big Mike weighed the coach a second time).

Other ENTEGRA OWNERS may want to jump in with their experiences, but the coach seems to be pretty well designed from a balance perspective. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:19 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
After all the commentary, 900 seemed a lot; I questioned; I was assured by Spartan that I was good (Big Mike weighed the coach a second time).

Other ENTEGRA OWNERS may want to jump in with their experiences, but the coach seems to be pretty well designed from a balance perspective. JMHO
Same here - my weights are off side to side more than I'd like. Both Entegra and Spartan said it was within limits (~1000). That said the weights were pretty different on 2 weigh-ins at Spartan and one at Entegra. These things are really front end heavy - and, no I wasn't in it........
Old 08-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog44 View Post

Same here - my weights are off side to side more than I'd like. Both Entegra and Spartan said it was within limits (~1000). That said the weights were pretty different on 2 weigh-ins at Spartan and one at Entegra. These things are really front end heavy - and, no I wasn't in it........
Next time you weigh, when you line up straight with the scales, turn the engine off and dump the air. Then restart and let the coach air up normally. Then pull on to the scales. The 3 ride height valves have one purpose and that is to maintain a specific distance between the chassis frame and the suspension. Normal maneuvering can and often does creat a diagonal out of balance condition when at a stand still when there is no imbalance when under way. The act of dumping air and then restoring air while in a neutral steer situation allows the ride height valves to reflect the true weights.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I made a load chart that a flight engineer would be proud of. It has a graphic of the coach with basement bays and a table with weights of removable cargo. Adding items and weights by compartment gives me a side weight and a total weight. Assuming Entegra started with reasonable lateral balance this will help me keep it that way.

Looks like I won't be able to get in to Entegra or Spartan until next spring. We are considering a trip to Key West this fall/winter so maybe we can stop at Merritt Island on the way and get corner weights.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
See if the RVSEF schedule helps...

Weighing Schedule | RV Safety.com
Doesn't look like the make it to Texas, or anywhere along the central gulf coast.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
But it offers an excuse to go to some other places. :-)