Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #15

I copied this from FMCA's website a while back during a discussion of max tire temps (the author quoted a gent who works in Michelin's tech group):

"A tire in operation will heat up until it reaches its equilibrium temperature where the heat being generated equals the heat being dissipated.

The temperature of the tire will increase with an increase in ambient temperature. There is nothing to worry about in the ranges stated (up to 200 degrees), if the temperature gets above 250 degrees F then I would be concerned!"

The above discussion began when the OP was ready to leave Tucson, and the highway asphalt temp was 161! Thanks,

BG
BobG88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2019, 05:01 PM   #16

Every tire is not created equal. And each event that cause a tire to fail is dependent upon a number of circumstances. I will be along the road checking things out long before I hit the critical temperatures of 200+. My feeling is that the saftey of my family out weighs my need to push upper limits. We drive 10-12 hour days with both of us driving. If my tires go out of the norm and I am in that upper 150 range, I am off the highway checking. Just my two cents.
Dieselgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:17 PM   #17

My point with a heat sensor is that if
All your tires ate at 130 to 145 ?
Or 150 to 180. ?
And one tire is at 220 degrees.
Im off the road. Or I sit tight untill I figure out why.

If one hub is 250 degrees and all the rest are 80 or 120 or close together.

I'm pulling that hub right there.
Or checking for a brake malfunction
Or an oil hub thats dry or ???

Before you destroy a spindle, ruin a hub or start a fire.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
If the tire gets near 155 it has my attention!
That is a fact for me as well

Something is wrong and I have had many blown tires which all were hot first

If I can't stand to briefly hold my hand on them I figure out what is going on
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:35 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
I highly respect those who have passed on their knowledge here, but I can't help but believe that in this case new folks are being bombarded with information with the insinuation that if all recommendations aren't strictly followed they will risk certain tire damage and blowouts. Again, the input of the experts is all important and correct, but I suggest they may be overly complicating some issue to the point total confusion or scaring some people out of the RV lifestyle.

I am certainly not suggesting its ok to "kick the tires, light the fires, and hit the road". New RV owners MUST become thoroughly familiar with their rigs to ensure not only their safety, but the safety of all who use the roads.

I suggest the KISS principle: Keep It Simple. A starting point for all of us, particularly the newbies to follow. I've probably left something out here so please add to it. Keep it basic and without excessive detail.

- Understand that tire maintenance is vitally important to your RV, yourself, and your family.
- Follow the pressure recommendations on the tires and from the vehicle manufacturer. Charts from tire manufacturers and specific weights of each axel and corner may help fine tune tire pressure if you deem it beneficial.
- Make yourself aware of the issues involving tire wear and age.
- Understand the weight of your RV is directly related to tire wear and longevity.
- Learn the temperatures and pressures at which your tires will be subject to possible damage.
- Understand a basic rule of physics that says increased temperature of air in an enclosed space will result in increased pressure.
- Cold tire pressure is measured at ambient air/tire temperature preferably in the morning and definitely before hitting the road.
- Tire pressures will vary from the cold pressure as much as 15 - 20 % with increasing ambient air temp, running on hot roads, vehicle weight, and even sunny side vs shady side. This is all normal.
- Understand that considering the variables noted above, it is not possible to maintain strict tire pressures on all tires at all times - and that's ok.
- Consider getting a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) so you can continuously monitor tire temperatures and pressures which will enable you to spot irregularities quickly enough to prevent severe damage or accident.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:04 PM   #20

I posted the following information about year or so ago, it was from Spartanís Michelin factory representative regarding tire temperatures and limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolar01 View Post
I have recently replaced the steer tires on our 2016 Aspire for reasons I will not discuss again. In addition I installed a TPMS unit and became alarmed at the temperature buildup occurring in the two new Michelin 295/R80/22.5 X Coach tires. Therefore, I began looking for information about tire temperature buildup, and became frustrated by lack of information. Finally was able to contact a Michelin Account Manager and the following information is what he provided, I quote:

As tires roll, they will naturally build up both heat and inflation pressure. For a truck tire size, it takes about 30 - 45 minutes for the tires to be considered "warmed up". When the heat being generated within the tire is equal to the heat being dissipated, we call this "thermal equilibrium" within the tire. Normally, this is considered to be "ambient + 60 degrees F", which correlates to an increase in operating inflation pressure of about 10 - 15%. higher than cold pressure. The maximum allowable internal air temperature is 194 degrees F. Internal operating pressures above 230 degrees F permanently impacts rubber properties.
Drive tires will generally run cooler than steer tires because they are not as heavily loaded as the steer tires, nor do they have steering forces to contend with (this does change under heaving braking).

He also indicated that it is very hard to manually determine internal core temperature as temperatures vary widely across the tire surface, which is exactly what I saw as I checked the temperatures to verify TMPS readings. Hopefully, this will give you some peace of mind about temperature/ pressure buildups; it made me feel better.

Larry
Jolar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:55 AM   #21

I see tire temperatures comming by of 194 degr F ( conversed from 90 degr C) as maximum.
That is also what I read to be the temperatures in races.
Once read from a valve importer that it can even rise to boilingpoint of water so 100 degrC is 212 degr F.
This can happen when descending the mountains, and using the brakes to often.

Mind there are 2 " tire" - temperatures.
The inside tire air( or other gascompound) , and is measured by TMPS-system .
When inside the tire it is pretty accurate. But aftermarket sensors ,screwed on the valves, measure also pretty accurate, but measure something between inside and outside air, so temp reading of those are worthless.

2 then there is the temperature of the rubber of tire.
This is mesured wit a IR themometer, but only gives temperature of outside spot you aim them on.
The thicker parts of rubber, are hotter dieper down then you measure on the outside.

And that is the temp that is important, of the rubber of tire.
From a tiremaker I heard in a long telephone-conversation, thet tires are " backed " at 170 degr C/338 degr F, and then the right amount of sulfur- bridges are formed to make it flexible but not hard.
If rubber gets to hot in use, to many sulfur bridges form,and makes the rubber hard, so next bendings bij the about 10 deflections a second at 50mph, crackes it.
I have to ask again at wich temp this proces begins, and if this hardening is ireversible.
Sertainly the crackes are permanent, and next bendings crack further, so the tire must not have not any moment of overheating in its livetime.

When only driving and no other factors that heat the tire up, there is a relation between hottest part of rubber and inside air temp. My estimation is max 60 degr C/ 140 degr F.

But for instance when descending mountains that 212 degr F ,would not mean automatically, that rubber gets to hot.
Cooling down of rubber to the inside air becomes worse, but speed tgen is about 25mph, so only 5 times a second deflecting an flexing back of every segment of tire.
So tire produces less heat, and it could be that rubber still not reaches the critical temp at wich it hardens.

For the moment I keep it that hardening begins at 130degrC/266 degrF and is ireversible. This untill I learned more about it.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:22 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
TPMS systems accurately measure and report tire pressures as you drive but temperatures are not so accurate. Use a good TPMS and watch the pressures. Because tire pressures and temperatures are closely related, proper pressures almost always yield acceptable temperatures so temperature indications can be basically ignored. Who has a tire temperature indicator on their car? But newer cars do have a low pressure monitor and alert.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure