Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2020, 03:27 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Tire pressures...again!

While there have been many threads about tires and tire pressures, I don't recall this point being discussed:

I was at NIRVC today to have new Michelins put on the front as well as an alignment, part of the repairs from my earlier blowout. Pro Tire did the work. I started talking to the tech about pressures as they relate to changing temperatures, especially driving north from Mississippi, or Texas for that matter, it was over 100 yesterday!!!

At any rate he said that according to Michelin the optimum ambient temp to set pressures was 70 degrees give or take 5, and you are good to go no matter the temp changes. I had thought that they should be set according to the AM temp, before the sun hits them, for whatever the temp is where you are.

As an example if I set them at home at 70 degrees and travel north where it's 50 degrees in the morning and pressures are down 5 lbs., I should add 5 lbs. NOT SO HE SAID. If you set them at 70 +/- 5 degrees you are good no matter how much colder it gets. This leaves me concerned about under inflated tires when driving up north. Especially since I'm traveling up to Charlotte, Michigan to have the chassis inspected before our 3 year warranty is up.

Can anybody shed any light on this?
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2020, 03:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post

At any rate he said that according to Michelin the optimum ambient temp to set pressures was 70 degrees give or take 5, and you are good to go no matter the temp changes. I had thought that they should be set according to the AM temp, before the sun hits them, for whatever the temp is where you are.

Good thing he is installing tires-- Engineering degree-- not so much. Sad he is giving erroneous information.

Tire pressure is BEFORE DRIVING at current ambient temperature.

I challenge anyone to find a reference in any Michelin or other tire manufacturer's document that states differently!
Old 10-12-2020, 04:09 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Most of us carry some type of tire inflation method to adjust tire pressure for ambient temperature where we will be driving. I will not run on underinflated tires knowing I will have to drop air pressure when I get home to hot FL.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:20 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yeah, sounds like, 'his opinion'!
Old 10-12-2020, 04:21 PM   #5

Tire pressures were critical for our racing team. We had a target hot pressure which gave the tire maximum grip. On collar days we started with higher pressure, warmer lower and we would bleed down as needed during pit stops.

I don't see why our coached would be any different.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:35 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for your fast replies! He must have been quoting his uncle Mitch and I misunderstood him. I wasn't going to argue, he hadn't done the alignment yet! Figured there were enough experts here to set the record straight. Adjusting for ambient air makes much more sense. I like the racing analogy Bruce, we used to set our tires in the shade with a fan on them to get the temps to match the ambient air now that you mention it...must have had a senior moment
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:43 PM   #7

Michelin has a dedicated RV tire website. The recommended temperature for setting proper inflation pressure is COLD.

It might be worth contacting Michelin to let them know what the experts at Pro Tire are telling their customers.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Michelin has a dedicated RV tire website. The recommended temperature for setting proper inflation pressure is COLD.

It might be worth contacting Michelin to let them know what the experts at Pro Tire are telling their customers.
Do you have a link to that site?
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:19 PM   #9

Chuck,

I think this was yours

tire pressure.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire pressure.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	304423  
Old 10-12-2020, 05:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post

COLD is defined at "at ambient temperature before driving"!
Old 10-12-2020, 05:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
COLD is defined at "at ambient temperature before driving"!
Yes, I know. Didn’t think it needed an explanation.

One thing for sure, it isn’t 70F.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
Do you have a link to that site?
Michelinrvtires.com
Old 10-12-2020, 05:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
Tire pressures were critical for our racing team. We had a target hot pressure which gave the tire maximum grip. On collar days we started with higher pressure, warmer lower and we would bleed down as needed during pit stops.

I don't see why our coached would be any different.
Because we are not racing them, not concerned about grip in high speed turns, and it isn't that critical to be "exactly right" on tire pressures.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:43 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Tire pressure is a really variable subject and one that has given all of us a headache. The headache is finding a tire pressure gauge that you know to be reliable and accurate. At present I have three high price digital truck gauges, three analog high pressure gauges one new, and two traditional truck gauges one of which is new. Paid $85 for the new analog truck gauge and the new traditional truck gauge from NAPA.

I have found that the pressure difference from gauge to gauge to be 10 to 15 pounds different. I have TPMS in addition. I have found that the batteries in the sending units of the TPMS flake out in about a year and cause pressure to read 10-15 lbs low. NAPA guy said that the digital gauges are calibrated at sea level so it is likely they would read 10-15 lbs low if you are at 7,000 or more ft.

There have been many front tire failures on Anthems and may be in part the result of over inflation. I see people talking about 120-130 psi in front tires of Anthems. The CS has 365 70 x 22.5 Michelin’s and has been weighed and I carry 110 PSI. TPMS shows that driving in summer at interstate speed pressure increasing to 125 psi or more. If one was using a gauge that was actually reading 15 psi low and aired up to 120-125 psi on the gauge summer interstate speeds could increase actual pressure to 150 psi or more! Blowouts could result.

Not sure what the answer is to where or how to find an accurate tire gauge, but my advice is not to rely on a digital gauge and get the best gauge you can find and have a TPMS installed. The NAPA traditional truck gauge seems to be closest to the reading on the TPMS. I use the TPMS to verify tire pressure with the gauge.
TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure