Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2016, 07:36 AM   #1

To winterize or not

If you've got your coach at home. Plugged into 50A service and with lots of diesel for the aqua hot is it safe to not winterize? We'd like to use the coach several times this winter and don't want to have to winterize and de winterize several times.
It does get cold here (Denver). But I figured with electric and the aquahot set to 50 we'd be ok? Is that thinking flawed...
ikold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 07:57 AM   #2

This is what I do since we got the coach last December.

I check the vehicle every day and basically triple, or at least double up the protection.

Standalone electric heaters in the coach set to low temp. Aqua hot electric on. Basement thermostat on etc.

I also use my coach maybe every second week etc. it doesn't make sense to winterize.

My biggest issue is keeping heat in my wet bay while driving. When stationary, it's not an issue, but the moment I start driving I start losing heat.

Definitely a leak somewhere.

I would endorse what you're saying, but prepare for electric bills and check it often.

Figure $150/month in costs to not winterize.
derba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:58 AM   #3

I can't think of any reason why you would need to winterize the coach. Many people live full time in winters similar to Denver. As long as you have power and heat the coach will be fine.

Just read previous post and wanted to add this:
When temps start going below freezing there is a point at which the AquaHot's electric only will not work, at all. You must have the diesel burner on. I assume that Derba has both electric and diesel on, not just electric.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:18 AM   #4

Spartan Chassis
Ice maker line freezing would be a concern if it gets very cold. I would put a light bulb in the refrigerator vent area.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:38 AM   #5

If it's a residential fridge does it have a fridge exhaust?

It's not cold all the time here in Denver but in Jan Feb we do get a few days with below zero temps. It generally warms up though.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:40 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Having lived in Denver for 20 years, you will need to add anti gel to the fuel. I remember the 20 below temps we would sometimes get in Jan & Feb. Not often, but it only takes once to do major damage.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Having lived in Denver for 20 years, you will need to add anti gel to the fuel. I remember the 20 below temps we would sometimes get in Jan & Feb. Not often, but it only takes once to do major damage.
brobox,

I live where the temps fall into the teens several times throughout the winter and I haven't thought to do what you have mentioned above. Will it help to crank a diesel every two or three weeks or would that not do a thing to keep diesel from gelling? And could I ask what would some of the problems be that may make it a expensive thing to let happen. Haven't had mine that long, and you have put me to thinking I better go get some and pour into fuel. Thanks !!
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:06 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When we store our coach in similar conditions we also do the following:
- Drain all holding tanks
- Open the water line drains / empty the whole house filter / open all faucets
- Drain the ice maker feed line

When you're ready to go again close all lines and faucets, flush some water through and tank up...

Enjoy!
Old 01-03-2016, 10:24 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
" Will it help to crank a diesel every two or three weeks or would that not do a thing to keep diesel from gelling?"

No it will not. In fact starting the motor every few weeks and not getting it up to normal operation temperature does more harm than good. If you can't take it out for a long drive to get it up to temp, let it sit. If the ambient temps are in the teens, twenties, or low 30's, you might have to drive 50-75 miles before it gets to operation temp.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:34 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
brobox,

I live where the temps fall into the teens several times throughout the winter and I haven't thought to do what you have mentioned above. Will it help to crank a diesel every two or three weeks or would that not do a thing to keep diesel from gelling? And could I ask what would some of the problems be that may make it a expensive thing to let happen. Haven't had mine that long, and you have put me to thinking I better go get some and pour into fuel. Thanks !!
When it gets 20 below diesel is going to gel and will not flow. Running it in warm temps a couple of time a month won't help. If you live in an area that has #1 diesel and fueled up with that before storage, it would help. However I would still add anti-gel as a precaution. After adding the anti gel, be sure to drive the MH, run the generator and AH to get the anti gel into the fuel lines and injectors.

If the fuel gelled and the AH could not fire up, all the plumbing could freeze, shower and sink faucets freeze, washing machine and dishwasher freeze, the ice maker and the Aqua Hot itself could all freeze. It could run into a several thousands in damages.

Even if not winterizing, I am still a firm believer in air blowing all of the lines. It only takes a few minutes and gets rid of a lot of chances of something not getting enough heat from the AH. A blow out plug is a couple of dollars at Walmart, an air compressor with a dollar clip on air chuck and the compressor set a 35 PSI is all that is needed.

Run the washer and dishwasher on the rinse cycle until you hear air come out, then on the spin cycle.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
brobox,

Wolfcreek, we lived in New England and owned a farm with lots of diesel powered equipment. Gelling of the fuel can cause a diesel to shut down but usually is more likely to prevent it from starting. To be fair many of todays diesels have fuel heating grids HOWEVER to be on the safe side a good anti-gel additive such as HOWSE, POWER SERVICE and others is cheap protection.

Not speaking for anyone but I suspect the seriuos damage Chuck ( BroBox ) was referring to was your water system freezing IF the aqua-hot did not fire due to gelled diesel fuel.

Years ago we had a diesel tractor and a diesel truck that we left out in the woods overnight. An unexpected cold front came through and it was 20 below neither would start and we discovered the fuel had " fibers " floating in it which looks almost like semi liquid vaseline. Many hours later and multiple fuel filters, 911 treatment and FROZEN hands we got them started. We treated year round from that day to the last day we operated !

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:11 AM   #12

Thanks for good info. I am winterized to the max, awaiting my next trip so I am ok in that category. I think I use the #1 diesel, but as stated, it is better to be safe than sorry. Was wondering, since it is a chore to get in and out from behind the house, could I pour in to tank and maybe? rock it a some, and then maybe fuel would be mixed somewhat and I could crank up to get into my lines. JUst a newbie question for sure. Thanks!!

I have 1/2 tank of diesel
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:11 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Personally I wouldn't store with a 1/2 tank of diesel. You don't say where you are located, but if it gets warm in the day and cold at night you could get condensation in the fuel. That is the worst enemy of diesel.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:45 PM   #14

Thanks for all the advice. ALl the fuel here from about Sept on is winter blended so gelling is not a real issue.

Anyone have a link to a youtube of blowing out their lines ? Or a link to a blow out adapter for my air compressor. That's a good idea and easily accomplished at the end of a trip.

How do I drain the icemaker line in a cornerstone ?

Tags
winter