Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2017, 07:52 AM   #1

Toad brake lockup

This past weekend towing my 2013 F-150 I had a blowout on new Michelin tires less than 1000 miles I was in Chipley FL in town when I heard the tire blow I drove 3 blocks before I could find a place to pull over tire was toast. after we stopped I tried to remove the lug nuts could not fit wrench over nuts then I looked and saw the chrome on the wheel had buckled from overheating. Called Good Sam wrecker driver could not get tire off so we had it towed to a ford dealer in Graceville FL he removed wheel and discovered that the front brakes had locked up and overheated disc and caliper and front hub plus sensors. He asked me to take truck to a larger dealer. I Bought an extended warranty from Ford of course that is void because I tow the truck. I use M&G braking I think that's not the problem because the back brakes are ok . Anyone else experence this?
1thomason is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2017, 08:14 AM   #2

This is not the same, but maybe similar. DW was driving the Dakota pickup and we crossed the divide in Yellowstone twice that day. She was using the brakes to control speed on the long grades and I was too busy sight seeing to notice. Suddenly we smelled hot brakes and one of the front calipers was not releasing. It was so hot that it would not fully release. We had to stop and let it cool down, then it worked ok. To me it sounds like you had one caliper do the same thing because the brake system did not fully release.

This situation could have been avoided if you had a TPMS with temperature warning. I never thought about a TPMS to monitor brake malfunctions.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:38 AM   #3

Bob, what does the other (unblown) front tire look like? Any flat spotting?

If the other tire on the same axle is perfect, likely the problem isn't with the M&G, or anything to do with towing. If your problem is isolated to one specific wheel, there is likely an issue with that brake.

Once you get two good tires on the pickup, I would take your IR non-contact thermometer and shoot it at the rotors after driving for 10 minutes. Attempt to avoid using the brakes as much as safety will permit.

What you're looking to determine is, if the M&G is improperly adjusted, causing the brakes to drag. If this is the situation, you will see your rotors get fairly hot in spite of the brakes not having been applied. For example, on a mild 75F day, I would expect to see the rotors warm up to possibly 100-120F. However, should the rotors be in the high 100s, or approaching 200F and up, I would have reason to suspect the M&G is improperly adjusted.

Who did the M&G install?

Where are you currently located?

Regarding warranty coverage, I don't believe the fat lady has sung on that one. Someone needs to clearly determine the causal factor of this failure. Once that determination has been proven, the next question is whether or not your modifications had any impact.

To state there is no warranty simply because you tow is a cop out. That truck is designed by Ford to tow four down.

I hope this helps,

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:34 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Do not give up without a fight

I agree with previous post. Your warranty claim can not be denied simply base on the fact you tow your vehicle. Ford under the Massey-Ferguson Act has to prove the cause was from an external source such as the added braking system.

Now that being said I know for a fact if the M&G braking system is not installed correctly, making the very sensitive adjustment to the push rod in the M&G add-on head, it will cause the brakes to drag and over heat. The M&G is a great braking system when properly installed. I have personally installed the M&G on a 2014 Ram pickup and it worked great. But I had to remove it during installation because I did not have the rod screwed in far enough so the pressure was removed from the master cylinder.

Hope it was not due to poor M&G install.

Ray
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:01 AM   #5

The M&G brake system worked great for 4 years and over 20,000 miles. Truck is still in shop replaced all rotors, calipers and brake lines. Front hub bearing assembly and sensors next. I bought a TPMS EZRV and plan to have a light on the rv dash to show when trucks brakes are applied. I cannot afford to have this happen again.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:30 AM   #6

Bob, I can appreciate your desire to avoid a reoccurrence of this problem.

Have you determined the root cause?

One other thought that occurred to me is the possibility of a breakaway failure, improperly applying the brakes when not desired.

-Matt
Old 04-16-2017, 03:49 PM   #7

After the brake job the brakes would not release until the M&G Cylinder was removed from the master cylinder I plan to return the brake system to M&G for a rebuild and to find out what happened
Old 04-16-2017, 05:11 PM   #8

Bob, have you been pretty careful about capping the air line when not in use?

I'll be really interested in what M&G says.

-Matt

Tags
brake, toad