Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2020, 06:50 PM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Before we roll out after hooking up our tow vehicle, we test the running lights, brake lights, blinkers, and then roll forward slow a couple of feet while watching the wheels on the tow vehicle.

I like to know all wheels on the tow vehicle are turning free.

I take a quick look in side mirrors at the tow vehicle wheels the first couple of real turns I make as well. Good to see them turning.

Safe Travels.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 01:04 PM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We regularly pull into a rest area for a lunch stop. I have a habit of doing a quick walk around to check the integrity of the toad attachment just before resuming our drive.

Although I have no idea whether it’s just internet hype, or true, my habitual walk around has taken a more dedicated sense of necessity since reading stories that suggest that there have been acts of vandalism in rest areas.

The stories seem to have a common thread of a toad becoming detached from the tow bar a few minutes after leaving a rest area. One story told of the owner being interrupted during his pre-departure walk around after he had checked the toad connections and was passing up the driver’s side of his coach. A woman approached and commented on his coach and made some innocuous small talk for a couple of minutes before she was joined by her male companion who had joined them from around the rear of the coach. The owner bade them farewell and walked around the front of his coach and resumed his travels.

A few miles down the road, in his rear-view camera, he noticed that his toad had begun wandering unnaturally. He immediately pulled over to investigate and found that both the safety locking pins that hold the tow bar pins in place were missing and that one of the tow bar pins was missing. The remaining pin had not yet, worked its way completely out of the tow bar. His toad was attached only by one leg of the tow bar. His conclusion was that the interruption during his walk around was intentionally timed to allow the male companion to surreptitiously remove the safety locking pins from the tow bar.

I read that on the internet, so, it’s got to be true, right?

True, or not, my pre-drive resumption walk arounds are now more intentional and include a “no interruption” rule.

Take care,
Stu
Old 12-02-2020, 02:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
We regularly pull into a rest area for a lunch stop. I have a habit of doing a quick walk around to check the integrity of the toad attachment just before resuming our drive.

Although I have no idea whether it’s just internet hype, or true, my habitual walk around has taken a more dedicated sense of necessity since reading stories that suggest that there have been acts of vandalism in rest areas.

The stories seem to have a common thread of a toad becoming detached from the tow bar a few minutes after leaving a rest area. One story told of the owner being interrupted during his pre-departure walk around after he had checked the toad connections and was passing up the driver’s side of his coach. A woman approached and commented on his coach and made some innocuous small talk for a couple of minutes before she was joined by her male companion who had joined them from around the rear of the coach. The owner bade them farewell and walked around the front of his coach and resumed his travels.

A few miles down the road, in his rear-view camera, he noticed that his toad had begun wandering unnaturally. He immediately pulled over to investigate and found that both the safety locking pins that hold the tow bar pins in place were missing and that one of the tow bar pins was missing. The remaining pin had not yet, worked its way completely out of the tow bar. His toad was attached only by one leg of the tow bar. His conclusion was that the interruption during his walk around was intentionally timed to allow the male companion to surreptitiously remove the safety locking pins from the tow bar.

I read that on the internet, so, it’s got to be true, right?

True, or not, my pre-drive resumption walk arounds are now more intentional and include a “no interruption” rule.

Take care,
Stu
Probably comes from years of preflights!
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:30 PM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Got locks on my tow bar...no pins.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #33

I only use locks at nights on travel days where I do not unhook. In the event of a needed quick unhook while traveling (fire, etc.) pins during the day facilitate that while locks at night secure things
jeff.herren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:50 PM   #34

I installed the Blue OX plate and a wiring harness I purchased at the Jeep dealership that connects the coach lighting system to the Jeep. To install the wiring harness I had to do some mechanical work to install the lighting system to the front of my 2016 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited. I don't know if the new jeeps have the same wiring harness available, but you can go on line to check. I also had the Air Force 1 installed by the shop that sold it to me, but did not opt for the dash light. I connected to the blue wire through the flex cord, and installed a set of small lights just below the windshield that I can see from the rear camera. I also installed a switch on the drivers side A pillar, because if you don't turn the lights off when just driving the jeep they will come on every time you hit the brakes. It all has been working fine for 4 years.
billb3672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:58 AM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
A dash warning light (with audible alarm) will save you a set of brakes and rotors some day for the toad. I moved my Jeep set up a while ago from my former gas A to my Entegra, but did not add the audible part - did put a brake light, in a spot not too easy to see,

My cable to my brake pedal stuck on a trip from New Mexico to Dallas, found out in Abilene, brakes shot on the Jeep, and am still surprised I did not see the light. I now have the alarm, and new brakes and rotors - the alarm was about $12.

This is easy to do, and my brake system in the jeep is a permanent system that will sound the alarm if the brakes are applied more than 20 seconds, unless stopped (like at traffic lights).
Old 12-04-2020, 06:53 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwoodofd View Post
A dash warning light (with audible alarm) will save you a set of brakes and rotors some day for the toad. I moved my Jeep set up a while ago from my former gas A to my Entegra, but did not add the audible part - did put a brake light, in a spot not too easy to see,

My cable to my brake pedal stuck on a trip from New Mexico to Dallas, found out in Abilene, brakes shot on the Jeep, and am still surprised I did not see the light. I now have the alarm, and new brakes and rotors - the alarm was about $12.

This is easy to do, and my brake system in the jeep is a permanent system that will sound the alarm if the brakes are applied more than 20 seconds, unless stopped (like at traffic lights).

Got more info on alarm? They are hooking light up as we speak. Thanks
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:15 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFunlovers View Post
Before we roll out after hooking up our tow vehicle, we test the running lights, brake lights, blinkers, and then roll forward slow a couple of feet while watching the wheels on the tow vehicle.

I like to know all wheels on the tow vehicle are turning free.

I take a quick look in side mirrors at the tow vehicle wheels the first couple of real turns I make as well. Good to see them turning.

Safe Travels.
X2. We employ the exact same departure procedure. That’s what kids are for right? rain or shine . Interesting notes about vandals pulling pins. Sounds similar to the idiots who park their cars/trucks in Tesla spots to make it so we can’t charge up, or the ones that actually cut the charging cords. There are a lot of unhappy people in this world unfortunately.
BaldDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:38 PM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Dog View Post
Got more info on alarm? They are hooking light up as we speak. Thanks
Below link is what I bought.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...r/RM-9325.html

I have all Road Master product in my Jeep, but this is just wired to the same light wire from the back of the Motor home to the dash. If the light is illuminated longer than 20 seconds, the alarm will sound. (I don't know if that is built into the system I have - Road Master Invisibrake, or the small alarm thing)

What I don't know is will your Airforce One system work the same way.
Sometimes mine misses the coach is stopped and sounds the alarm, and I can let off the brake, and apply again to start another 20 seconds.

Tags
tips, toad