RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2020, 03:02 PM   #1

Todays tow from hell

What a day. It started off with my penny shutting down shortly after I started driving. Pretty sure it's a bad fuel filter which is simple enough. A bit tough to get to, but not the worst of all things. Pretty sure it shut down because we were low on fuel, ~13%. Then we topped at at off named fuel station on the efs app, cup and go, I think? ****** fuel as my milage dropped from 8mpg to 6.9. That's why I'm pretty sure the penny fuel filter is the issue. The least of my worries.

We are driving down I90 new Rapid city and a couple in a Subaru sling shots from the left lane to the right lane at at least 85mph and slams into the rear of my toad! Still not the worst that could happen. He could have slammed into my Anthem. But wait, there's more! I look at the loadmaster to bar and ...you guessed it, it's bent. Looks like a boll legged lady! Can not tow with it.

So now we are stuck in Rapid city, nobody has a fuel filter until Tuesday at the earliest. Forget finding an in stock tow bar.

Looks like I won't be doing much fishing in Missoula

WTH!

End crying rant

buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2020, 03:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
What a day. It started off with my penny shutting down shortly after I started driving. Pretty sure it's a bad fuel filter which is simple enough. A bit tough to get to, but not the worst of all things. Pretty sure it shut down because we were low on fuel, ~13%. Then we topped at at off named fuel station on the efs app, cup and go, I think? ****** fuel as my milage dropped from 8mpg to 6.9. That's why I'm pretty sure the penny fuel filter is the issue. The least of my worries.

We are driving down I90 new Rapid city and a couple in a Subaru sling shots from the left lane to the right lane at at least 85mph and slams into the rear of my toad! Still not the worst that could happen. He could have slammed into my Anthem. But wait, there's more! I look at the loadmaster to bar and ...you guessed it, it's bent. Looks like a boll legged lady! Can not tow with it.

So now we are stuck in Rapid city, nobody has a fuel filter until Tuesday at the earliest. Forget finding an in stock tow bar.

Looks like I won't be doing much fishing in Missoula

WTH!

End crying rant
No! Tell me it ainít so. How could someone jump from left lane to right and run into back of toad. Never mind thatís a rhetorical question. So sorry to hear about that.
Hope fuel filter is generator problem although if it caused generator problem it may cause engine problems too.
Did you really want to go fishing??

Old 06-28-2020, 03:33 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Remember, Mama said there would be days like this!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
No! Tell me it ainít so. How could someone jump from left lane to right and run into back of toad. Never mind thatís a rhetorical question. So sorry to hear about that.
Hope fuel filter is generator problem although if it caused generator problem it may cause engine problems too.
Did you really want to go fishing??
Fishing, yes. Messing with this crap? no. Going to tandem drive to Billings tomorrow, stay for a night and then head to Missoula. I'm sure I can get RM to overnight a bar to Missoula.

I'm so out of steam right now
Old 06-28-2020, 04:20 PM   #5

Bruce
How bad is the toad. Youíve probably already thought of this and itís not an ideal solution, but you could go on to Missoula and have Lisa follow you. Then you could order parts and go fishing while waiting on them. Of course that depends on toad condition.
Was it your 2019 Ram?
Old 06-28-2020, 04:24 PM   #6

If the tow bar isnít bent bad I would probably still drive with it and watch it closely. If itís got a bad bend then itís integrity may have been compromised.

Hope things come together and you can salvage your trip
Old 06-28-2020, 04:24 PM   #7

Looks like we were thinking same thing!
Old 06-28-2020, 04:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
Bruce
How bad is the toad. Youíve probably already thought of this and itís not an ideal solution, but you could go on to Missoula and have Lisa follow you. Then you could order parts and go fishing while waiting on them. Of course that depends on toad condition.
Was it your 2019 Ram?
Toad is drivable. Lights were not hit. I'll post a picture in a bit.

Lisa can't drive 11 hours, so we are breaking the trip up. Well be there Tuesday instead of Monday. I will call RM first thing in the morning.

The guy who hit was driving way to fast. There was ~ 35mph crosswind from the north. I had been fighting the steering wheel all day. He just lost control and came from the left lane into the Ram (yes it is the '19 Ram) I think the wind stopped for a split second and his counter steer took over.

The bar took most of the impact, otherwise the rear of the truck would have been way worse. The issued a citation to the driver. Fortunately the baseplate is ok. All I need is the tow bar and cross bar which sits on the base plate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3528.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	291324   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3529.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	291325  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3530.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	291326  
Old 06-28-2020, 04:38 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Oh man! Just bought Spartans care kit with belts and filters for just this reason. But no one caries an extra tow bar. Can it be heated and bent back at a welding shop?
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:39 PM   #10

Yep, looks like the towbar acted like a shock absorber. Sorry it happened, but could have certainly been worse.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
Toad is drivable. Lights were not hit. I'll post a picture in a bit.

Lisa can't drive 11 hours, so we are breaking the trip up. Well be there Tuesday instead of Monday. I will call RM first thing in the morning.

The guy who hit was driving way to fast. There was ~ 35mph crosswind from the north. I had been fighting the steering wheel all day. He just lost control and came from the left lane into the Ram (yes it is the '19 Ram) I think the wind stopped for a split second and his counter steer took over.

The bar took most of the impact, otherwise the rear of the truck would have been way worse. The issued a citation to the driver. Fortunately the baseplate is ok. All I need is the tow bar and cross bar which sits on the base plate

No, I donít thing that tow bar is usable
firedoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:00 PM   #12

You could try calling around to local RV parks, in my experience many RV park offices have some sort of community bulletin boards, which often contain for sale ads for tow bars for some reason.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:05 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Bruce I have an extra cross bar for your Roadmaster if you canít find one out there.
No cost just cover shipping. I think it would go UPS.
Sorry about your day.

Richard
Gasman 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:14 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Sounds like you had one of those days we all know is out there but donít want to think about.

Good luck getting it fixed and enjoy the fishing.

Had a similar problem last year coming thru New York when a bobtail truck took out the drivers side of my tow vehicle while it was hooked up. Driver took off and I had to get out my cutoff saw to take the front fender off so I could get into the drivers door so I feel your pain first hand.

Tags
tow