Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2017, 09:00 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
That is called ILLEGAL- not just for toll booths, but period; nice thought, but probably will cost you $250+court costs...just saying
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2017, 09:28 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Two months to catch up with wherever your mail goes. They'll find you, plus an admin fee and probably a penalty. Been there, done that.
Hi Dave.You know, when you screw up like we did and got in the wrong lane with heavy traffic in the Chicago area, it's not like you can just pull over in the "I goofed lane" and walk back to the booth and say "OOP's how much do I owe you?" It's just a matter of live,pay and learn. In a way it was kinda funny and will be a memory we'll enjoy later on. No big deal.
Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:45 AM   #17

Most of our travels are along the East coast from Maine to Fla. What state would have the best Easy pass system that would cover this area. Are their any that covers all the US. Thanks for your input.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:01 AM   #18

No to a single system

YES get Easy Pass - if your state does not have them then Try PA - I think they are free (Maryland will charge you for each one, every year)

Bottom Line GET ONE for the Bus/Coach.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:29 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Hi Dave.You know, when you screw up like we did and got in the wrong lane with heavy traffic in the Chicago area, it's not like you can just pull over in the "I goofed lane" and walk back to the booth and say "OOP's how much do I owe you?" It's just a matter of live,pay and learn. In a way it was kinda funny and will be a memory we'll enjoy later on. No big deal.
Pat
Actually,whenit happened to me, the Ohio tollbooth gal said to just stop, honk you horn, and they'd send someone over. Several of the states indicated to call them to work it; I assume that is the way to avoid a penalty and maybe the admin fee. I just know that if they chase you down, they charge you more. The worst I've seen for that is the by pass around Austin TX and the by pass east of Denver. Both used to have toll booths and went automated with no option to stipend pay with credit card. Wasn't being caustic, so hope you didn't take it that way. Just warning that it will cost more, and maybe have a penalty, because they never seem to be able to chase you down "within 15 days".
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:30 AM   #20

My opinion is that you need to examine the options and benefits of each state plus cost. I bought into the iPass system from Illinois. The reasons were that the iPass has a web page where you have your own account. You can log into your web page anytime you want and check the status of everything: how much money is in there, how much new money is added, what the "low water" level for cash in your account, whether the money is added automatically or only when you say to add money. My account is set with a low water amount of $20, and every time it gets down to $20, they move $50 from my AMEX account to my iPass account. I want it to be automatic. Remember that you are being charged at a semi rate on most thruway as you have the same number of axles as a semi (five). At least on the PA Turnpike, the charges from end to end as a Semi are significant and a trip of let's say NJ, PA, OHIO, IND, IL can cost you a ton of money over a period of a little more than 24 hours. Adding money manually was a non-starter for me. The low water mark of $20 means that not much more that $20 is sitting dormant in my iPass account. And, I can access my account at anytime, see if and when I was charged, and what the charge was..... as I said earlier, I realized that my transponder was not being recognized ( had transponder up at the top where it is "hidden") and if the charge doesn't appear within ~ 3 days, you need to be prepared to get a bunch of mail which charges you the fee, plus a mailing surcharge, plus a penalty, plus anything else the state can think of (late fee).... it's a mess if you are on a three month long trip........

And it is accepted anywhere EZPASS is accepted. My understanding is that only FL and TX have their own systems that are not interchangeable. Read through the pluses and minuses of each state and then apply for it on-line and have the transponder/s sent to you by mail ( no need to try to find a place to buy as you enter the state.... get it all done up front!!!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:35 AM   #21

Quote:
I put up another thread week before last on toll booths that you might read to gain from my experience as well as others in the Northeast.

Summarizing -

- EZPass or equivalent, absolutely as it is quicker and some states give up to a 30% discount. And, at the prices for basically a semi, you'll find that valuable. You can buy the pass at many locations in each state. Take a look at the first state you'll be entering with tolls (VA I suspect).

- As to toll booth width, sure, as Gary says you can use any EZPass lane...but be darn careful because some states are very narrow (slightly more than 120" in Ohio and NY, and your mirrors are 123". MY EXPERIENCE and a $7000+ insurance payment coming says...if they offer an oversize lane, take it...it's just easier JMHO

- Don't get so absorbed in the pass or toll accepted light, that you aren't watching the mirrors as you go through, and 5 mph max
Agree on the EZpass/equivalent for price reduction/convenience. time plus money adds up.
RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:42 AM   #22

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
My opinion is that you need to examine the options and benefits of each state plus cost. I bought into the iPass system from Illinois. The reasons were that the iPass has a web page where you have your own account. You can log into your web page anytime you want and check the status of everything: how much money is in there, how much new money is added, what the "low water" level for cash in your account, whether the money is added automatically or only when you say to add money. My account is set with a low water amount of $20, and every time it gets down to $20, they move $50 from my AMEX account to my iPass account. I want it to be automatic. Remember that you are being charged at a semi rate on most thruway as you have the same number of axles as a semi (five). At least on the PA Turnpike, the charges from end to end as a Semi are significant and a trip of let's say NJ, PA, OHIO, IND, IL can cost you a ton of money over a period of a little more than 24 hours. Adding money manually was a non-starter for me. The low water mark of $20 means that not much more that $20 is sitting dormant in my iPass account. And, I can access my account at anytime, see if and when I was charged, and what the charge was..... as I said earlier, I realized that my transponder was not being recognized ( had transponder up at the top where it is "hidden") and if the charge doesn't appear within ~ 3 days, you need to be prepared to get a bunch of mail which charges you the fee, plus a mailing surcharge, plus a penalty, plus anything else the state can think of (late fee).... it's a mess if you are on a three month long trip........

And it is accepted anywhere EZPASS is accepted. My understanding is that only FL and TX have their own systems that are not interchangeable. Read through the pluses and minuses of each state and then apply for it on-line and have the transponder/s sent to you by mail ( no need to try to find a place to buy as you enter the state.... get it all done up front!!!

Gary
X2 for IPASS.

Congress has mandated tolling inter-operability between state toll systems. It was supposed to happen last October but, as always, all states weren't ready by then. There is good interoperability now between northern and eastern state systems but, as Gary said, FL, TX and OK need to get their act together.

Hopefully, in the not too distant future, a thread about which toll transponder to get will be a thing of the past.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:48 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Wasn't being caustic, so hope you didn't take it that way. Just warning that it will cost more, and maybe have a penalty, because they never seem to be able to chase you down "within 15 days".
Dave, I reread and can see how it could be taken that way. No, not at all meant that way. Thank's for your suggestion, I will give the DOT a call.
Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:59 AM   #24

Bill:

I thought that I had read about a mandate (Federal?) for all toll operations to be compatible or inter-operable . Systems specific to each state would be a nightmare! For the Northeast, and upper Midwest, the EZPASS is the only way to go, and I can't wait for all the systems to be compatible.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:01 AM   #25

Nor'easters Club
Mike,,,stay here on cape cod at the s/b all summer.. let's us know you you get close!
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:51 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For the IPASS/EZ Pass systems- Sometimes I tow, sometimes I do not. When towing, how is the toll calculated if I only purchase a two axle transponder? Purchase another, smaller vehicle size transponder for the toad?

Billfish636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:02 AM   #27

We are domiciled in PA. so we purchased PA. EasyPass. it works all over the northeast and toll bridges. The Pa. turnpike gives a 30% discount for EasyPass but you are charged by the weight of all your axles just like the big trucks. Indiana and Illinois charge by the number of axles. In the east the right hand lane in the toll booths is wider for oversized loads. (10 feet wide or under) A lot of the older toll booths are very narrow and hard to judge. I always use the right lane especially in West Virginia. The antenna for transponders is mounted to the roof of the booth, as you pass under the transponder must be visible to the overhead roof. We have found the only position is velcroed to the dash board just below the sharp break down at the top. We also purchased a Sunpass for Florida as they are making so many roads tolled and they also discount for Sunpass use.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:07 AM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Billfish, in Mass I have to have a 5 axle transponder. A 3 and a 2 won't work, I think they charge me for 5 even if I'm not towing (maybe that's why is called Tax-A-chuestts) If I don't put my toads transponder in the special bag I get billed for it too!

Hey Ditto I haven't forgotten you just too many trips to Beth Israel.
Cousin Ed is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat