Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #29

Several of us had this argument several weeks ago. I have 2 transponders for iPass. One is registered to the Anthem and it is charged as a heavy vehicle. I am charged heavy vehicle rates and the booth counts axles. When pulling the Honda it is my understanding that the Anthem is charged the same as a 5 axle semi (Anthem = 3 plus 2 axle toad). When I am towing, the Honda's transponder is wrapped in tin-foil and in the Honda "glove box" so it can't be seen or triggered by the toll transponders.

I have a second transponder registered to my Honda and when I am driving the Honda alone, that transponder is exposed and I am charged as a 2 axle "car-type" vehicle. If it is being towed, as I say above, it is wrapped in tin foil to "blind" the transponder.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #30

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Several of us had this argument several weeks ago. I have 2 transponders for iPass. One is registered to the Anthem and it is charged as a heavy vehicle. I am charged heavy vehicle rates and the booth counts axles. When pulling the Honda it is my understanding that the Anthem is charged the same as a 5 axle semi (Anthem = 3 plus 2 axle toad). When I am towing, the Honda's transponder is wrapped in tin-foil and in the Honda "glove box" so it can't be seen or triggered by the toll transponders.

I have a second transponder registered to my Honda and when I am driving the Honda alone, that transponder is exposed and I am charged as a 2 axle "car-type" vehicle. If it is being towed, as I say above, it is wrapped in tin foil to "blind" the transponder.

Gary
This is right off the Illinois Toolway site:

"Can I use my regular I-PASS when I tow a trailer or drive an RV? Yes. In fact, the technology in the open road tolling lanes will automatically calculate and deduct the proper toll. You no longer need to use the cash lanes or purchase a special transponder."

Both of my IPASS transponders are registered in the Auto/SUV class. The toll system determines the number of axles when I pass through a toll plaza and charges accordingly. Very simple.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:43 PM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Different states, different approaches. In VA, our EZPass that we use with the coach is registered as a towing coach and 5 axles. Some states work by that registration. Others by axles running over a pad. Just check the on line site for the state you register, and follow the registration approach.

Add OK to the states that haven't been incorporated into EZPass (OK, TX, CO, FL are the ones I know about). Heard FL was supposed to be in the EZPass network this fall or Winter; haven't confirmed.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:47 PM   #32

In our case, 3 transponders.

1 Coach-only 3 axle, NYS with Thruway Motorhome plan

1 Coach plus toad 5 axle, NYS with Thruway Motorhome Towing plan

1 Toad only, Maine

We went this route since the Thruway tolls are the highest and we traverse the Thruway heading to and heading back from Maine. They required us to get a motorhome-only one in order to get the special towing one.

The car has a Maine transponder since we usually spend most of our time in Maine.

Michelle
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #33

Bill: I know you and I have a different understanding and we have argued it before. Sooooooooooo, I just waited on hold for 24 minutes to talk to an iPass representative and we went over the policy of the iPass again. I explained what I had.... a 3 axle Anthem which is classed as a "heavy vehicle" and I have a Honda CR-V (a normal car) and asked what did I need.... without a moments hesitation, she said I needed one transponder that was registered as a heavy vehicle and one transponder that was registered for a "normal" car. I asked how each dealt with more axles and she said that the machines always counted axles..... (Honda pulling a small 2 axle speed boat and trailer would be billed as a 4 axle car, but the Anthem (a heavy vehicle in the same weight class as a heavy duty dumptruck or a semi) would be charged as a heavy vehicle with 5 total axles (only 3 are really "heavy", but the Honda gets charged as a heavy vehicle since it is connected to the Anthem.

Now, if you look up on Illinois' tollroad webpage, and lets say you get on at Rockford and travel to I-80, the toll would be $10.80 for a car (2 axles). If I was pulling a trailer, the machine would add to that basic cost for the additional axles and weight. If instead, I was driving a 5 axle semi and made the same trip, the charge is $40.80. BIG difference!! The Anthem plus the Honda would be charged at the "heavy vehicle" rate.

I did ask what if I put the Honda transponder in the Anthem and pulled the Honda, she said that the equipment would sense that I was not a car by sensing the number of tires, the number of axles, and the weight of the unit, and it would up charge me as a "heavy vehicle" making the same trip. So, if all of that is really true, then it might not make any difference. If their equipment says "wait a second Charlie, you are not driving a light duty vehicle that your transponder is registered to, but instead, you are driving a tall, heavy, many-tired and axle-d multiaxle vehicle, so I am not charging you by the transponder, but will instead upcharge you since you are not a car and instead charge you the heavy vehicle rate" then we end up at the same place.

This is a hypothesis..... it all depends on the words that you choose. If you say you have an RV pulling a car, then my guess is that you are either thought of as a 5'er (pick up pulling a trailer) or a small RV pulling a car, and therefore, considered a light vehicle with more axles. If you really describe what you have (a bus the size of a commercial or Grayhound bus), pulling a car, you are recognized as a heavy vehicle and registered as such. I have always been clear on what my "RV" really is....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:00 PM   #34

I had the time today to go online to North Carolinas toll pass website to apply for their expass transponders and I could not figure out how to have more then $20 in our account. A phone call to a CS Rep and in about 10 minutes our account was set up with the minimum balance we wanted, auto replenish, monthly e mail statements and the best part the transponders are compatible with all EZPASS, SUNPASS, PEACH STATE and NC TOLL systems.

Canceled sunpass and Mass. Ezpass. Very happy to have transponders that work with them all !

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:07 PM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post

Add OK to the states that haven't been incorporated into EZPass (OK, TX, CO, FL are the ones I know about). Heard FL was supposed to be in the EZPass network this fall or Winter; haven't confirmed.
They are pushing for it to start soon. I paid $30. extra for the movable transponder, not one stuck in the windshield, so I can do as Victory Blue posted. FL is getting a $30. premium for the "any vehicle" transponder.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:08 PM   #36

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Chris View Post
As mentioned in a previous post we are heading north next week to the Poconos and Niagra Falls. Being from NC I have limited experience with toll booths and nearly all of that is in a car where width doesn't matter. During our trip in the Entegra last year to Maine I saw that the right lane was wider at the toll plazas we encountered and in all of those there was a person collecting money. So in preparation for this trip I have a few questions:
1. Is it standard practice at all toll plazas for the right lane to be the widest and best choice for vehicles our size?
2. If you have to use the right lane anyway is there a real benefit to having the EZ Pass?
3. Are road conditions on the toll roads normally better than other highways available in the same direction?

Thanks
I've spent a lot of time on the I-80 toll road and many others. I've always fit through any toll gate I went through. I have a wide body Mobile Suites. It's 102" wide. Same width as a Semi and I can get through all the toll booths without any trouble. Just aim for the center! That easy pass saves a lot of time and hassle.
Joe Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #37

Hi Brian, I went to the office here in NC and picked up the transponder and set up an account today. The gentleman was very helpful. We got one transponder for the MH and a $5 sticker for the car. The sticker is just so both vehicles can be on the same account. He said if we plan to move the transponder to the car when not using the MH we could just leave the sticker at home.

I'm curious, were you able to compare rates for NC vs Mass? Hope all is well with you guys!
2013 Harley RG on a HydraLift
Mike&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:15 PM   #38

Is the NC toll pass valid from FL to NY if coming up the east coast? Have a trip in August and looking for solution. Our Jayco Precept 35S is only 2 axles and towing a Cherokee with another 2. We only have a SunPass and will be mostly on I95 until we get to Va. then many roads to Cape May NJ and then on to Mastic Beach, LI, NY and back!
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:19 PM   #39

Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas all work on all three state systems but nowhere else that I am aware. They claim the technology (software I assume) is able to talk to each other. Not a big problem for us as we don't go north east and rarely use turnpikes anywhere EXCEPT to get around Austin. All JMHO
Old 07-05-2017, 07:24 PM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
Is the NC toll pass valid from FL to NY if coming up the east coast? Have a trip in August and looking for solution. Our Jayco Precept 35S is only 2 axles and towing a Cherokee with another 2. We only have a SunPass and will be mostly on I95 until we get to Va. then many roads to Cape May NJ and then on to Mastic Beach, LI, NY and back!
We've got two NC transponders - one for the car and one in the coach. When towing, the car TP stays in an aluminized envelope.

We went through WV, NY and FL last year and the TP worked fine. This is from the NC Quick Pass FAQ: The NC Quick Pass E-ZPass transponder and Exterior transponder will work on toll facilities outside of North Carolina where E-ZPass, SunPass and Peach Pass are accepted.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:31 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Chris View Post
Hi Brian, I went to the office here in NC and picked up the transponder and set up an account today. The gentleman was very helpful. We got one transponder for the MH and a $5 sticker for the car. The sticker is just so both vehicles can be on the same account. He said if we plan to move the transponder to the car when not using the MH we could just leave the sticker at home.

I'm curious, were you able to compare rates for NC vs Mass? Hope all is well with you guys!
Mike, the rate you pay will be the individual state rate you are passing through for your vehicle class not by the issuing states rate. I hope that makes sense !

No RV anymore !
Old 07-05-2017, 07:35 PM   #42

[QUOTE=Saltydog44;3684027]We've got two NC transponders - one for the car and one in the coach. When towing, the car TP stays in an aluminized envelope.

We set our account up the same and will " bag " the car TP when it's a toad .

No RV anymore !

Tags
cat