Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2022, 03:20 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwprosser View Post
Buddy110,
I just got back from going to Ghirad at Red Bay. I have only good things to say, also stay at Red Bay Acres right next to the factory, great park and experience plus restaurant site. I had them do a full check a, clean and adjust on all 3 awnings. Not under warranty bust still no charge. The coach ahead of me was a different story, older Entegra that had the lag bolts striped out. There was a charge for that one. Call them and talk to them, but it is worth the trip to have it fixed right the first time.
I went to Red Bay to Girard to get mine fixed when it wouldn't go in. Excellent customer service. Their is a campground right there to stay at - Red Bay Acres. Well worth it in my opinion.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2022, 05:17 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
On our Classic 2013 Anthem we lost both awnings due to a wind gust. Damaged the passenger side of the coach and out both awnings on the roof. We had progressive back then and they covered it and did not raise our rates. I was an hour away from Girard and I sat across from the President and he said act of god. Sorry. 2 weeks later we got a service bulletin from Girard that says there could be an issue with the wind sensors

$25,000 damage
Old 06-25-2022, 05:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
Well, Dummy me drove out of the campground today....with my awnings out. Front two have minor, cosmetic damage, but the rear tore through the fascia Than fully, I was able to retract it almost all the way so that I could tie it down. Drove home no issues:

Who does one go to for a repair of such? A body shop? mother ship? Girard direct? DIY?. I'm sure insurance will cover it, but I fear they may drop me or raise my rate. Either way, I need to get it repaired.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
TIA
You might try Dave's RV Center in Danbury. Almost bought Newmar there (floor plan wasn't quite right for us but it was in *great* shape) and spent some time looking around their shop without seeing anything remotely dodgy. They're usually booked a couple of months out.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:55 PM   #18

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Turn the claim into your insurance carrier. They will send a knowledgeable adjuster out to inspect the damage. They will also have a list of preferred vendors to do the repairs. If you go to one of them and the repairs are not right, it's on their dime. Good luck.
Fitchburg, WI
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnail View Post
On our Classic 2013 Anthem we lost both awnings due to a wind gust. Damaged the passenger side of the coach and out both awnings on the roof. We had progressive back then and they covered it and did not raise our rates. I was an hour away from Girard and I sat across from the President and he said act of god. Sorry. 2 weeks later we got a service bulletin from Girard that says there could be an issue with the wind sensors.
In my experience a wind sensor can be working perfectly, but if a big patio awning is fully extended there is no way it's going to survive a sudden wind gust - simply because of the time it takes for a fully extended awning to fully retract. I've never timed it, but it definitely doesn't happen instantly, and the Girard awnings seem even slower that other brands we've had.

Wind sensors are great if the wind picks up gradually. But when the wind goes from dead calm to gale force in a heartbeat, a fully extended patio awning doesn't stand a chance.

Not intending to be argumentative. Only you know the specifics of your situation and whether a perfectly functioning wind sensor would have saved your awnings.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 04:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrin View Post
Turn the claim into your insurance carrier. They will send a knowledgeable adjuster out to inspect the damage. They will also have a list of preferred vendors to do the repairs. If you go to one of them and the repairs are not right, it's on their dime. Good luck.
^^^ Yup.

We (the OP and I) live in an area with few RV repair facilities other than CW in Kingston, and Danbury isn't that far away from the OP. And an insurer's preferred places might not be my own.

That said, I forgot completely about Del Hatt in Poughkeepsie. Good, competent people there, and if they'll take the job they'll most likely do it right.

There could be other good RV shops closer to the OP that I don't know about. I tend to do everything possible in the driveway, which limits my experience with repair facilities.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:43 PM   #21

Wind sensor

The 2013 Anthem wind sensors are battery powered. Life of battery is about 5 years. Suggest you inspect your’s. Went to Red Bay and service was great and price was reasonable. I cannot find anywhere that I am told about a battery. New battery and sensor works fine.
Mississippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:33 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
^^^ Yup.

We (the OP and I) live in an area with few RV repair facilities other than CW in Kingston, and Danbury isn't that far away from the OP. And an insurer's preferred places might not be my own.

That said, I forgot completely about Del Hatt in Poughkeepsie. Good, competent people there, and if they'll take the job they'll most likely do it right.

There could be other good RV shops closer to the OP that I don't know about. I tend to do everything possible in the driveway, which limits my experience with repair facilities.
I am considering calling Kevin at Delhatt. If the canister and arms are ok, it would be as simple as replacing the fascia. Vinces down the street could paint it prior to installation. Kevin has repaired several things over the course of a few years
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:37 PM   #23

Safeco has the claim. I looked locally for service, but I'm not thrilled with my options. Both NIRVC Atlanta (per a call from Brett after he read my post) and the Mothership have raised their hands to offer the repair. I don't think I can go wrong with either. Now I'm waiting for availability of parts. Will update the board when I have a resolution.

Thanks everyone for your input
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 02:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Well, Dummy me drove out of the campground today....with my awnings out. Front two have minor, cosmetic damage, but the rear tore through the fascia Than fully, I was able to retract it almost all the way so that I could tie it down. Drove home no issues:

Who does one go to for a repair of such? A body shop? mother ship? Girard direct? DIY?. I'm sure insurance will cover it, but I fear they may drop me or raise my rate. Either way, I need to get it repaired.

TIA
I too have pulled away with an awning out but caught it in time and stopped. It happens. With our new coach ill make a pre flight check list and using it from the drivers seat just like a pilot might do. Sometimes the drive you have in front of you occupies your mind so that you forget simple little things like an awning. Why the heck an auto close feature like with the step is not a standard feature is beyond me. Even an alarm would be great.
Denie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 03:14 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Check List

First off, don't beat yourself up too bad, we have all made errors where RV's are concerned. I agree with a previous poster, make a simple check list. I have it on the dash and my wife reads it as I go double check things. Knock on wood, since we have been doing this, no major faux pas.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:02 PM   #26

Wind got mine

Had similar issue last year. Wind came up and tore the awning completely off my 2004 Dolphin. Took it to the dealer, upgraded to electric, and used my insurance. It was a very expensive lesson for me. Had to completely remove what was left of the awning and hardware just to get home. Paid the campground owner to dispose of it for me.
srballantyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:17 PM   #27

Quote:

TIA
search your local Facebook area, lots of RV/trailer repair shops around
dragrace728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:34 PM   #28

Take your motorhome to Conn. Motorcars and Coaches in Plainville, Ct. They are Tiffin repair but do everything. It’s a repair shop not a dealer. Great service techs.
Fireairdrop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning