Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Tow bar angle shock!

Measured my tow bar height against my leg; MH receiver and attach point at my car, they were very close to the same. When I hooked up the car the first time in the driveway I looked at the tow bar was pretty level. I noticed a few other times and felt it was close to level. I often hook up at a park when the coach isn't at ride height, when I hook up at home it is at ride height.

At a fuel stop on the way home I looked and saw what is shown in the picture! It is borderline too low as it sat at a fuel pump. I don't know if I should add a drop or accept what I see normally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3244541374.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	468.1 KB
ID:	51792  
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
Community Administrator

I would get a drop down receiver. The acceptable variance is about 4" ( on a Blue Ox ). I always preferred to be level ( in at least this area of my life )

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Drop looks about 3 inches...thought that was OK, but no expert. OTOH, the picture is kinda pointing at an angle, so it is hard to really see how mach drop.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
What is the height of your receiver as it sits?
Bill in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Level would be the best situation for the tow bar but if that's not possible, they allow 2 inches up or down from level.

This should be measured when the coach and car are both on a know level surface.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Roadmaster says 3". I think the pic is right at that. Of course I didn't check with a tape and it will be a while before I have to coach at ride height.

I have pulled this car behind my Entegra for >6,000 miles to date without issue which doesn't mean something won't fail 3 miles into our next trip!

Now I'm gonna obsess until I can resolve it in my mind and with measurements.[ moderator edit ]
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Here's an interesting article from Blue Ox.

http://blueox.com/t-TowingPhysics101.aspx

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #8

If you're worried about the angle, you should also be worried about a drop adapter since that itself puts unequal loads on the hitch.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Here is another good article about proper height for the tow bar from coach to car.

Tow Bar Safety and Maintenance

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Was the fuel drive level? Looks to me that the front of the MH may be lower then the rear, thus raising the hitch. Check the measurements again on level surface.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
What's a "fuel drive"?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #12

Before doing anything, validate the data.

-- With the MH on a flat surface that extends beyond the rear of the coach, and with the coach at ride height, measure from the ground to the middle of the receiver.
-- This time, with the towed on a flat surface that extends beyond the front bumper, measure from the ground to the middle of your tow bar's attachment.

Any difference between the 2 measurements is the number that must be within the tow bar manufacturer limits. Ideally, if you get these numbers to match you are better off and less stress will be placed on the base plate mounting area of the towed.

Looking at a picture taken at level other than the level of the tow bar is too hard to judge.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #13

Txbart, you have the exact same towbar as me. I purchased the Roadmaster 6" drop hitch from, "e-trailer.com($99.00). My bar is now totally level. My tow vehicle is a 07 Ford Expplorer; Eddie Bauer. By the way, the angle on your vehicle looks the same as mine.. be safe...dd
ddgilmore is offline   Reply With Quote