Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2021, 11:52 AM   #281

Go to www.etrailer.com and look for protective caps (for the AF1) there.... they routinely have them available. I have several spares of each, plus spares of the breakaway unit pin.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2021, 03:15 PM   #282

Tow Bar Failure

I can't believe I drove over 100,000 miles and never knew about all these tow bar/barking issues. However, I am becoming more educated. I just checked my new Avail tow bar with a magnet, and all components are steel. So, was Dave's aluminum? The break looks like like aluminum. Does this mean the new Avail steel model is more reliable than the aluminum model? Those side tabs still look under-engineered to me.

RVSteve
RVsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:22 PM   #283

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Have a good look at the third picture. You can see one of the breaks has rust on both sides, and fresh steel in the center. Meaning there was cracks there for a while to make it rusty. See the picture. Red arrows point to the rust, and green arrow points to fresh break area.

The other break has a rust spot, but it's hard to see if it's in the broken area, or beside it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boken BO tow bar_LI.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	321822  
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:27 PM   #284

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Lets try a closer look.
Attached Images

Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:50 PM   #285

Tow Bar Failure

I called the BO factory number and asked technical support guy about BO Avail failures. He said he was not aware of anyone reporting a tow bar failure. Is he lying or just uninformed?
RVsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:11 PM   #286

Could be either, could be company policy to not inform tech support about product failures, or could be policy to not disclose them.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 06:08 PM   #287

travel_man,
Thanks for the info and pics. Isn’t there a saying about “ounce of prevention” and “pound of cure”?

For the boots, now I know what to look for. In fact I’ve seen those before – in hardware store used on ends of iron pipe for same reason.

Haven’t done the 12v line from coach and charger, but have been thinking about it. In fact I installed a 7-way connector on the toad, coach already had 7-way, and I got a 7 conductor cable. So I’m ready to go when I decide to add a charger. Cable also gives me a conductor to use for an LED signal line to dash mounted brake notification LED (which was already installed by PO).

Regards,
Lou S.
Chieflou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 06:42 PM   #288

Gary.Jones,
Forgive me but I swear I've search all over etrailer and can't find dust caps. Looked at AF1, baseplates, towbars, did "protective cover" and "dustcap" search and only found for axle bearings ... I'm stumped. Can you help me narrow it down?

Thanks in advance,
Lou S
Old 03-19-2021, 06:58 PM   #289
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
See below.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...o/SM99608.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...o/SM99609.html
Old 03-19-2021, 06:59 PM   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieflou View Post
Gary.Jones,
Forgive me but I swear I've search all over etrailer and can't find dust caps. Looked at AF1, baseplates, towbars, did "protective cover" and "dustcap" search and only found for axle bearings ... I'm stumped. Can you help me narrow it down?

Thanks in advance,
Lou S
Check the dimensions. These are what I used. I also found the rubber front wheel bearing end caps from my John Deere lawn tractor fit. (but anything from John Deere is more expensive!)
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:18 PM   #291

My advice to Dave, cause I know he hasn't received nearly enough yet --
- Don't send em your broken tow bar
- Do submit report to NTSB and any other appropriate agencies.
- Tell BO your research has shown the "U" bend yoke (think that's the proper nomenclature) with extreme tight bends is a deficient design and you know yours is not the only one which has failed. The fact they are no longer making them with that design pretty well confirms that as fact.
- Your requirement to be satisfied -- a brand new towbar of same or higher weigh capacity, with the new style, flat tabs with large weld area -- shipped free of charge to address of your choosing. To expedite that effort, you could inform them that your insurance adjuster and the NTSB have both stated they need to inspect the towbar prior to you releasing it to BO.

For all the rest of us, we should spread the word far and wide that every BO owner should look at their towbar to see if it uses that U-bend yoke design. If it does, they should disassemble it at the yoke/pivot point so they can visually inspect BOTH sides of the metal at those bends for even a hint of crack formation. And with a magnifying glass ... seriously!

Regards to all -- and hang in there Dave, I'm sure it's going to work out OK,
Lou S.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:24 PM   #292

I saw the close up image of that Avail failure just now at the arrows described. That is scary and it seemed to have broken right at the weld. If I had an Avail, and as expensive as tow bars can be, I would take it to a weld shop and have a non destructive test done on it at those welds if it did not cost too much. Maybe they could recommend a beef up in that area, but it would require a longer bolt with correct shank (non threaded section). If too many or any threads are part of the bearing surface, those threads will wear down fast and could cause some problems.
travel_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:28 PM   #293

Spk64,
Thanks for the input, but what we were looking for are big ones to go over the baseplate quick-release tab receivers.

Bigd9,
That's good input ... I think I might have same ones on by rider front wheels, will have to check. Problem with what I found on etrailer ... they were metal dustcaps.

Thanks again to both of you,
Lou S.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:50 PM   #294
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieflou View Post
Spk64,

Thanks for the input, but what we were looking for are big ones to go over the baseplate quick-release tab receivers.

Sorry, I missed that. I have not seen those for sale from eTrailer, might have to go direct to BO if they even sell them.

Tags
tow