Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2021, 04:56 PM   #393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Pete

I said stainless steel cables because my 8 year old safety cables show absolutely no rust or change from exposure to the elements. I have always asumed they were stainless as there is no deterioration.

I have given myself the task to call DEMCO tomorrow and see if I am right and if not correct the record.

Gary
Thanks!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2021, 12:11 PM   #394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydeal View Post
This is like beating a dead horse. Here’s some homework for ya. Tell me how many failures per units sold and get back to me. Most failures, I am confident, stem from misuse. No, I did not say ALL failures…..so calm down.

I sure hope you have a fire extinguisher in your coach but you probably haven't ever experienced a fire. Percentage wise, fires really don't effect many RVers yet we all carry extinguishers.

I also carry an umbrella insurance policies but have never been sued.

Percentages only matter when they effect you or your family, now go do your own homework
Old 07-07-2021, 01:20 PM   #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
I sure hope you have a fire extinguisher in your coach but you probably haven't ever experienced a fire. Percentage wise, fires really don't effect many RVers yet we all carry extinguishers.

I also carry an umbrella insurance policies but have never been sued.

Percentages only matter when they effect you or your family, now go do your own homework
That’s a reactive approach rather than a proactive one.

If you know the percentages, you can reduce the likelihood of them affecting you or your family.

Would you prefer to fly in a jet in which you had a 1% chance of dying or a jet in which had a .001% chance of dying?

As it pertains to this discussion of a failed tow bar, there have been statements made claiming that one brand fails, or is likely to fail, more than another, or perhaps all others. Yet, no information, data or statistics have been provided to verify those statements. Using your approach, we could all just say “who cares, it doesn’t matter, I have insurance.”
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:25 PM   #396

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Bruce

I would guess that data is only available from the manufacturers, and you can bet that their legal department would go absolutely crazy if anyone at those tow bar companies ever released that information. If all the insurance companies ever got together and pooled their data, then maybe we might get some real data (and even that would not be perfect data). Alternately, all the RV repair companies in the country could get together and pool their data on the number and manufacturers of all repairs that come into their shops due to bar failures or body repairs to coaches produced by tow bar failures.

I'm all with you. I spent my life in a data-driven environment (laboratory research). Data is the most important part of any decision.... however, in the real world, when legal responsibility and liability is involved, those who have the data are not willing to share the data.

Until they do, personal experience is about all we have to go on, and that is pretty good second best option.

I have said before and will say again..... what we are missing is a national organization that is simply an owner organization whose purpose is simply to represent the interests of owners of RVs (really motorcoaches) against manufacturers, OEM equipment developers, etc. (Towables probably need their own organization, IMO). None of our current national organizations care about representing owners at all..... All of them are too dependent on the manufacturers and OEM manufacturers to provide the money they "exist" on. We need an organization where that is all they do. If I was 10 - 15 years younger, I would have pooled my money with three or four other owners and started such an organization. My heading a national organization to take on corporate interests days have passed. I would join any organization that makes an honest attempt to fill that void in a second. I would bet even the possibility of such an organization would be making manufacturers quake in their shoes. It the single biggest need that exists in the RV world.

We dont need a class action.... what we need is a big solid organization that represents our interests. If there was such an organization, manufacturers would be sitting up and paying attention. I'd be happy to serve on a Board if someone else gets it going.

Gary

Gary, we can agree that science is important. I owned medical laboratories and the largest veterinary diagnostic lab in the country.
Harleydeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:16 AM   #397

Pete

Talked to DEMCO people this morning and they say the safety cables are not stainless steel (my mistake). They are vinyl coated GALVANIZED STEEL cables. My mistake.

However, I still say that my now 7 ( ??) year old cables show absolutely no indication of decay or rust. They look as good as new.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:35 AM   #398

Thanks for the clarification Gary.

Being as you have straight cables and they are tucked along the tow bars, I would expect nothing less. That's a good design. Its those curly cue dangling and bouncing ones that concern me. Nick the vinyl covering and water can enter and become trapped, causing rust.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:30 AM   #399

I get the impression participants in this thread are not aware of how and why cable corrodes. Cable typically corrodes from the inside out - this means it can be very difficult to see the decline of your safety cables. BTW, SS cable is not exempt. In regard to coated cable, there probably isn’t a worse option for safety cable. Of all the coated cable, none is less reliable than those which are swedged over the coating. I’ve used various cable in multiple applications and have for about forty years. That being said, I am very quick to discard cable, especially if it’s been stressed. Cable is about as poor an option for impact applications as you’ll find and towing safety cables is pretty much the definition of impact application. Chain is an exceedingly better option in towing applications. I recently bought a towing kit for my MH and these threads make me quiver. My impression is, most people here are diligent in there use and maintenance of towing equipment, yet look how often the subject comes up. In nearly every situation I’ve read about here (iRV), cables failed. I was recently told replacing my safety cables with chain may void my manufacture warranty. That’s interesting in view of the fact that my manufacture, based on their rigging of the safety cables, is aware of the shortcomings of cable in towing applications. Many manufacturers clearly are not, which is evidenced by the fact they sledge over cable coating. Another indication of improper rigging is bends. A thimble is no guarantee your cable is not over bent. Thus far I haven’t seen a single tow kit company use the proper thimble size for the cable and bend, which jeopardizes the integrity of the cable, which contributes greatly to failure in impact applications. Safety cables may be OK for towing very light trailers, IF the cable is replaced regularly. IMHO, cable in a MH/toad application, is a catastrophe waiting to happen. I’m sharing my two cents here because the reality of cable pretty much renders the cable debates in this thread, a waste of time.
No feathers were intentionally harmed in the making of this contribution.
Odalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:59 AM   #400

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
X2 for chains instead of cable.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow