Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2021, 08:18 AM   #57

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
Yes I have. They're dancing
Dave sorry about your situation. It will be interesting what BO has to say. When my BO Aladdin failed, they could have cared less. Another owner contacted me with the same failure. He suffered extensive damage to the MH and toad, his insurance company was suing BO and asked for pictures of my failure. I hope your contact with BO goes well.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2021, 08:26 AM   #58

Here are some pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	break.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	320656   Click image for larger version

Name:	label.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	320657  

Click image for larger version

Name:	tail.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	320658  
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:29 AM   #59

Dave

Take a serious look at the Demco Excali-bar. 10,000#, All steel, no aluminum, built like a tank. Have used mine now for 6-8 years and it is still as solidly built as it ever was...

DEMCO doesnt have the advertising budget that BlueOx does, obviously, but I can bet you a lot of money that DEMCO products are built and over-engineered beyond any normal use, and I would buy this particular towbar over again 100 times if I could live that long.

Their baseplates are also similarly over engineered.

Compare a DEMCO towbar to any BlueOx and you will see there is a huge difference in build quality.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:38 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Dave

Take a serious look at the Demco Excali-bar. 10,000#, All steel, no aluminum, built like a tank. Have used mine now for 6-8 years and it is still as solidly built as it ever was...

DEMCO doesnt have the advertising budget that BlueOx does, obviously, but I can bet you a lot of money that DEMCO products are built and over-engineered beyond any normal use, and I would buy this particular towbar over again 100 times if I could live that long.

Their baseplates are also similarly over engineered.

Compare a DEMCO towbar to any BlueOx and you will see there is a huge difference in build quality.

Gary

I will Gary, Thank You
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:41 AM   #61

Have you checked out the HERCULES TOW BAR @ 12,000 lb towing capacity which is all steel construction ?

I am currently using the READY BRUTE ELITE II but thinking of upgrading my toad from a jeep to a F150 and I am considering the Hercules tow bar.
ECVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:34 AM   #62

One other issue, and this is for readers of this thread, and not specifically relevant for Dave , but I have seen motorcoach owners who back up with their tow cars connected. I watched a fellow back a good 100 to 200 feet with his tow car behind him. I presume he was careful, but backing up a tow car with a coach is completely the wrong thing to do. Backing up, if the angle of the coach to the towed car is not absolutely perfect and absolutely straight and remain ps perfectly straight and in-line then any difference would act to slide the front of toad to some degree sideways which puts incredible stress on the whole tow bar assembly.

If you are ever going to need to back up 10 or 20 feet, everything MUST BE PERFECTLY IN LINE or you are stressing the hell out of that equipment. I never back up .... not 3 feet. If I am in that position, I disconnect the toad fully, do what needs to be done with the coach, and then reconnect. My biggest decision anywhere I go is can I do what I need to do without any chance of needing to back up?? If I have to walk a truck stop to make sure I have a clear path forward before I move a foot, then that is what I do before moving a inch.

Secondly, I always try to make turns after I am moving.. I try NEVER to move the coach steering wheel sharply before I start moving with the toad connected. If you make a sharp turn beginning from a dead stop, you are doing the same bad thing..... you are forcing the front of your toad slightly sideways before the wheels have a chance to turn and pivot smoothly. Amazing levels of lateral stress applied!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:26 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Marker 42 View Post
I don't know, may be I'm having doubts on the crimp connectors on the curly cables.got a link to your straight cable?

I got the model 648 with hooks on both ends.
https://www.roadmasterinc.com/produc...afe_cables.php

My problem with the curly Q electrical or safety cables is they seem to drag on the ground objects more than my straight ones do. With my straight ones I use Ball Bungies cords to tuck the cables right up to the towbar arms. This keeps them from being damaged.

A problem with any plastic coated steel cable is hidden rust damage. If the plastic coating gets abraded, cut, nicked etc. water can get trapped next to the steel cable and rust. The rusty area is very hard to see through the coating.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:15 PM   #64

Be sure to check the rating on any quick links that are attached to a cable loop or hook. This, quite often, will be the weak link.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:36 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Be sure to check the rating on any quick links that are attached to a cable loop or hook. This, quite often, will be the weak link.

Good point.
A lot of times the rating is stamped right on the quick link.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:58 PM   #66

Entegra Owners Club
I have been a little nervous about my 10 year old BO tow bar. Dave, you helped me make the decision to replace it ! I just ordered the Demco Excalibar 3 towbar with the Blue Ox adapter. Thanks ! Les
Les1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:03 PM   #67

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les1951 View Post
I have been a little nervous about my 10 year old BO tow bar. Dave, you helped me make the decision to replace it ! I just ordered the Demco Excalibar 3 towbar with the Blue Ox adapter. Thanks ! Les
Wise move. Mine failed at 10 years old, metal fatigue. I won't make that mistake again.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:32 PM   #68

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I got the model 648 with hooks on both ends.
https://www.roadmasterinc.com/produc...afe_cables.php

My problem with the curly Q electrical or safety cables is they seem to drag on the ground objects more than my straight ones do. With my straight ones I use Ball Bungies cords to tuck the cables right up to the towbar arms. This keeps them from being damaged.

A problem with any plastic coated steel cable is hidden rust damage. If the plastic coating gets abraded, cut, nicked etc. water can get trapped next to the steel cable and rust. The rusty area is very hard to see through the coating.
I route my cables and electrical embillical cord over the top of the towbar; works for me.
OldOwlsHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:33 PM   #69

Entegra Owners Club
I had BO base plates fail on my 09 dodge pu, I mean totally fail, went to demco 10,500 hitch and base plates, at least these I can check, won’t own another BO as long as I tow
Old 03-09-2021, 01:47 PM   #70

BO knows. The current design of what they call the shank uses straight pieces of metal welded on, not bent (not welding on a bent U, but two separate straight pieces). There have been similar threads online about how the part breaks at the bend. You can order a replacement shank, which will be the new style. You can try to get BO to comp they replacement.
Do26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow