Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #1

Tow Cadillac

I want to tow my Cadillac 2017 ct6 behind my Entegra. Can that be done and how much modification will it take. Any Help Please
Dan Tilka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2019, 10:26 AM   #2

Towability can vary even with the same model depending on drivetrain and equipment. Consult your owner's manual. It will tell you if it can be done, and what steps if any you must take to do so safely and without damaging your car.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:28 AM   #3

You probably already know, but FMCA publishes an official list of towable vehicles (according to manufacture - based information). They do it every January. You can Google "FMCA Towing Guide" and find them and you can probably still access the 2017 guide. For 2019, only the 4 wheel drive Escalade can be towed but I know in previous years, there have been several car models.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Tilka View Post
I want to tow my Cadillac 2017 ct6 behind my Entegra. Can that be done and how much modification will it take. Any Help Please
FWD? Only on a dolly backwards.
AWD? Nope.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:57 AM   #5

What Gary said--according to the Jan 2020 FMCA magazine--the only Caddy that is towable is the Escalade 4x4....sort of funny that the Chevy Traverse and Equinox [AWD/4x4s?] are towable????? IMHO--seems the annual FMCA guide has a lot fewer towable vehicles listed this year....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:24 PM   #6

Remco.....says it can only be towed on a trailer.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:46 PM   #7

Some models of Cadillac Escalade’s can be towed, Look on the dial that you turn for 4 wheel drive & if you can hold it over all the way to the right and a small lighted “n” comes on you have the right model, there’s just a few of them that have it... you could also just get a flashlight and look real close and see if that and is even there, if it’s there you can tow it...
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 04:47 PM   #8

That “n” Is even there. That’s what it was supposed to say
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 05:12 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Sorry, but that car can't be towed except on a trailer.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:17 AM   #10

THanks to all
Dan Tilka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:56 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Divingbiker Send a message via Yahoo to Divingbiker
Nice car

Dan,
That's a nice car to tow. If you want to tow your caddy, you've gotta get a tow dolly or a trailer. I've had both and they are a PITA. Opinions vary greatly but IMHO, I prefer to tow a cheap lightweight car four down, that wont ruin my day by getting rock dings and scratches.

We were towing my wife's BMW convertible (on a trailer) but the first rock ding we got on it compelled her to shut that process down!!

SO we bought a Chevy Spark!! Out the door brand new for just over $10 grand..... It's cheap, drives like a go cart and I could careless if it gets dinged up behind the coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tow ready.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	271064  
Divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:13 AM   #12

IMO, a dolly is a complete PITA.... big time..... too heavy .... to much work to find a place to stick it in RV parks, etc. etc. Close your eyes and imagine you and your wife trying to muscle the unhitched tow dolly in the pouring rain into an out-of-the-way place. Forgettaboutit. A sufficiently large trailer is also a bigger PITA.... probably 3x bigger. Even heavier, even harder to find a place for it, way more trouble than it is worth, you probably need to rent two RV park pads... one for it and one for your coach Find something that can be easily towed 4-down and buy it and learn to drive with it.... (that is, learn to drive without needing to back up, AND get good at quickly hitching or unhitching the toad). (at least the car moves itself when you get it unhooked). JMO, but a strong one...

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:16 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
IMO, a dolly is a complete PITA.... big time..... too heavy .... to much work to find a place to stick it in RV parks, etc. etc. Forgettaboutit. A sufficiently large trailer is also a bigger PITA.... probably 3x bigger. Even heavier, even harder to find a place of it, way more trouble than it is worth, you probably need to rent two RV park pads... one for it and one for your coach Find something that can be easily towed 4-down and buy it and learn to drive with it.... (that is, learn to drive without needing to back up, AND get good at quickly hitching or unhitching the toad). (at least the car moves itself when you get it unhooked). JMO, but a strong one...

Gary
X2 !!
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:59 PM   #14

Tow Cadillac - Alternative

Dan,
For all the reasons above...We have towed a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk coast to coast, up and back to Alaska, as well as two trips looping the Rockies and the south west. A total of 23,526 miles.

We actually bought the Jeep before the entegra as we wanted an all around vehicle to go to our daughters sierra cabin in the snow etc.

The jeep is a modest 3900 lbs and is rigged to tow four wheels down. Properly rigged can be connected/disconnected in about 4 minutes.

(It is really the wife's car, but she let's me drive it sometimes.

Downhill grades and following winds...Gregg
Balladeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow