Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2018, 01:33 PM   #29

NSA RV

I use the Ready Brute Elite with the built in brake, great quality, lifetime warranty, easy to install. Do yourself a favor and search this forum for reviews also check Youtube.

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2018, 01:46 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We went from a Demco KKIII to AF1 a year ago. Love it! All I have to do is hook up the air line and it's ready to go. No adjusting or anything. Highly recommend it.

Glad Demco picked them up as they are an already reliable company and this will only make things better.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:36 PM   #31

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
It’s interesting how loyal people are to the brand they have. Understandable.....nobody wants to think they made a bad choice!

That said, there are differences in the different towbar systems, braking systems, and integration with YOUR Motorcoach and how the different systems set up.

To do that evaluation, I looked for certain criteria:
Ease of setup each time I hook up;
Durability or longevity of the equipment;
Availability of service if I need it;
Appearance of my tow vehicle when I’m not hooked up.

Notice COST was not a factor...I’m looking for trouble free systems that I don’t have to think about between hookups. I’m looking for a system that I can connect my tow vehicle to my coach and connect and check the lights..all in under five minutes. Really don’t want to block traffic while hooking up...but if I do, I don’t want that to take much time and I don’t want to have to check my adjustments to ensure safety for my people or for my equipment. I need the whole thing to be idiot proof...not that I’m an idiot (which we could debate over cocktails as long as you’re buying) but because I’ve already got a lot of things I’m thinking about when we are hooking up. I don’t want to overload my plate.

I suggest you go through this process for yourself. Establish YOUR criteria truly EVALUATE the options in the marketplace. I feel fortunate that I’ve kept the same system through four coaches and two tow vehicles. But I know my equipment and trust the decisions I’ve made. I’ve also stood the test of time.
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:50 PM   #32

Pat

I agree with you completely and whole-heartedly.

And that is the reason that I continue to so highly recommend the Air Force One system. Excuse the repeated plug, but you can't find a better, more reliable, more foolproof, quicker, nice looking, did I already say quick (maybe 2 minutes to connect or disconnect fully). But your criteria are absolutely correct. I have seen owners struggling to place units in cars, adjust their placement and mess around getting things just right for more than 5 or 6 minutes each time they need to depart, and there is no way that I am going to go through all of that each time. I want something plug and play and effective.

I am guessing that there are several systems that do that. And my allegiance to my brand has been earned by 5 years of bullet-proof service by those criteria. I would drop it like a rotten tomato if it did not work well. It takes much longer to get the CR-V transmission ready to tow than it does the braking system.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:37 AM   #33

We have the new 2019 Spartan Pre-Installed tow components. We had the AFO installed on our 2018 Ford Explorer. As mentioned earlier in the thread, there is a mismatch between the included air hose in the AFO kit and the coach side hookup provided from Spartan.

The appropriate size adapter for the coach-side came with our AFO kit. Our installer installed the coach-side hookup from our AFO box and just moved the air connection a short distance from what was already on the coach to the new location (I've attached a picture). Matt, with NIRVC Atlanta, did our install and said it was a simple move. We don't have to deal with adapters directly on the hose.

Attached is a picture as an example of what our installer did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	move_brakeline.png
Views:	56
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	201652  
chasingsixty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:28 AM   #34

Sixty

Thanks for the information and the pictures. That is very interesting. I like the idea of putting the coachside female connector further away from the hitch.... that would keep lines a little more separate and less of a tangle. I will be picking up my coach at the same place so will ask about the same solution. Looks like they just cut the air line from the Spartan installed connector and moved it over and installed the "kit" AFO female connector on the air line instead.

I would be happy with an adapter that adapts from one fitting to the other. Still like the female to be located away from the hitch. (Be sure to keep the plastic caps on the connectors so they dont fill with dirt and grime).

Thanks for the picture and description. Nice. And welcome to the forum and please post a bunch in the future.

Gary
Old 05-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #35

Your observation regarding the coach side adapter is correct. The provided Spartan connector is 'not used'. They moved the hose a big further away. Also, I agree with you that having it a bit further away from the hitch was a wise change.

"Keeping the caps" is a good reminder. I pulled the black plastic caps off for the example photo. However, your suggestion regarding the caps is valid. I didn't want to hijack the thread but I guess I'll share our story a little bit. Might save you guys fifty bucks.

For the random fella who comes along and sees this: On our way home, I failed to check my hose connection at our stops. As a result, after about 500 miles the pressure from braking blew my air hose off. I noticed the rear-view-mirror light provided by the AFO on my toad was not illuminating. (The absence of the rear view mirror light indicates the brakes are not being applied.) We pulled off and I found my air hose dragging the ground. The hose was totally destroyed.

What a rookie!

Even though our connections were brand new and not dirty, having dirt in the connections would increase your odds of the same thing happening. I should have been making certain the locking mechanism on the end of the quick connect was secure. I've had this happen with my air compressor in the past. I was checking all the other connections to our toad and I should have diligently checked the air hose connections as well.

When we finally made it to Dallas, TX - NIRVC happened to have a hose available and got me going again.

Next time we stop somewhere long enough to receive shipments, I plan to order one more hose and a couple of extra caps (they're super cheap). I will link them below. I don't think having extra would be necessary for most people but I'm pretty good at losing things. Just ask my car keys. =)

Thank you for your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Sixty

Thanks for the information and the pictures. That is very interesting. I like the idea of putting the coachside female connector further away from the hitch.... that would keep lines a little more separate and less of a tangle. I will be picking up my coach at the same place so will ask about the same solution. Looks like they just cut the air line from the Spartan installed connector and moved it over and installed the "kit" AFO female connector on the air line instead.

I would be happy with an adapter that adapts from one fitting to the other. Still like the female to be located away from the hitch. (Be sure to keep the plastic caps on the connectors so they dont fill with dirt and grime).

Thanks for the picture and description. Nice. And welcome to the forum and please post a bunch in the future.

Gary
Old 05-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingsixty View Post
We have the new 2019 Spartan Pre-Installed tow components. We had the AFO installed on our 2018 Ford Explorer. As mentioned earlier in the thread, there is a mismatch between the included air hose in the AFO kit and the coach side hookup provided from Spartan.

The appropriate size adapter for the coach-side came with our AFO kit. Our installer installed the coach-side hookup from our AFO box and just moved the air connection a short distance from what was already on the coach to the new location (I've attached a picture). Matt, with NIRVC Atlanta, did our install and said it was a simple move. We don't have to deal with adapters directly on the hose.

Attached is a picture as an example of what our installer did.
I would be very careful with where they mounted your air hook up. I had the mud flap come up and take the back off the electric connector on our 2016 and it was mounted higher than your air connection.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 01:26 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
I would be very careful with where they mounted your air hook up. I had the mud flap come up and take the back off the electric connector on our 2016 and it was mounted higher than your air connection.
I had the same concern. Included below is a photo of where I mounted the air line connector on our coach. Look below the lower right-hand corner of the license plate. (Yeah, I know the coach is dirty - our detail guy is coming Monday morning.)

I also added a small stainless steel eye bolt just above the socket for the light cable, which I use to connect the breakaway cable. Better view of the eye bolt in the second photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img 008.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	201676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img 009.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	201677  

LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 01:31 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
I had the same concern. Included below is a photo of where I mounted the air line connector on our coach. Look below the lower right-hand corner of the license plate. (Yeah, I know the coach is dirty - our detail guy is coming Monday morning.)

I also added a small stainless steel eye bolt just above the socket for the light cable, which I use to connect the breakaway cable. Better view of the eye bolt in the second photo.
Yep that mudflap will take it off if anything pushes it up. Your placement is much safer.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:49 PM   #39

Hmmmmmmmmm. Gonna have to think about these suggestions some more. Seems like maybe a good idea. However, the placement on both the Anthem and the Dynasty were on the bottom edge of the fiberglass end cap. Had no problem with that placement but will think through the higher, more protected location.

I ruined my first AFO Air cable the same way. Was not careful with the coachside connector and drug the brass fittingh down many miles of highway before I discovered it. Brass end fitting largely gone from friction with road. From then on, I was very careful to insert carefully into female and then pull back firmly to ensure that it was firmly held. No further problems in ~ 60,000 miles. And didn’t realize that e-trailer had spare plastic covers which I will now order. Thanks all for the ideas.

Also, never had a spare “key” for the AFO. Never needed and no joker ever pulled it, but now that I read about that, I will buy a spare to keep in the Honda too. They have those at etrailer too. Bingo!

Gary
Old 05-05-2018, 06:22 PM   #40
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I use the Ready Brute Elite with the built in brake, great quality, lifetime warranty, easy to install. Do yourself a favor and search this forum for reviews also check Youtube.
2x This is what I plan on installing on our 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited. Simple design and will install it and the base plate myself (currently Demco base plate). Lots of good support by users. IMHO M&G is a good choice but not compatible with the 2018 GC. Check out Youtube if you plan on installing yourself.
Currently a Dutch Star 4369 or Anthem 44A are our choices when we buy in late summer early fall 2019.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:13 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I hope I don't hit anything that would cause my mud flap up that high but I'm also not very lucky. I've just looked and the replacement mount is $25.00. First time I lose this attachment, I'm going to move it up higher.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:47 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingsixty View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I hope I don't hit anything that would cause my mud flap up that high but I'm also not very lucky. I've just looked and the replacement mount is $25.00. First time I lose this attachment, I'm going to move it up higher.
You'll be surprised, for whatever reason, how many times that mud flap gets pushed up. Good luck, I was just making you aware.

Tags
anthem, ems, tow