Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2021, 05:59 PM   #1

TPMS and Tire Pressure question

So Iíve been having TPMS problems pretty much since Iíve owned my 2019 Anthem. The drive axle seems to always work fine, I have the most problems with the steer axle. Right now both steer tire TPMS sensors are not working as well as one on the tag. Does anyone have any ideas to make sure these work properly or do I just need to take it in somewhere and have the sensors replaced.

Second question or issue. I was driving in 111 degree heat yesterday and had about half an hour to go until arriving at our location for the night when I got warnings for one of the drive axle tires and the one functioning tag axle tire. So there happened to be a truck stop almost right away so I pulled in and got some diesel and then decided to take about 10psi out of each tire. My question for all you tire experts: is this OK to do or a no no?

TIA.
Hygge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2021, 06:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hygge View Post
So Iíve been having TPMS problems pretty much since Iíve owned my 2019 Anthem. The drive axle seems to always work fine, I have the most problems with the steer axle. Right now both steer tire TPMS sensors are not working as well as one on the tag. Does anyone have any ideas to make sure these work properly or do I just need to take it in somewhere and have the sensors replaced.

Second question or issue. I was driving in 111 degree heat yesterday and had about half an hour to go until arriving at our location for the night when I got warnings for one of the drive axle tires and the one functioning tag axle tire. So there happened to be a truck stop almost right away so I pulled in and got some diesel and then decided to take about 10psi out of each tire. My question for all you tire experts: is this OK to do or a no no?

TIA.
Chuck, were the warnings for tire pressure or tire temperature?
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 06:39 PM   #3

Quote:
So I’ve been having TPMS problems pretty much since I’ve owned my 2019 Anthem. The drive axle seems to always work fine, I have the most problems with the steer axle. Right now both steer tire TPMS sensors are not working as well as one on the tag. Does anyone have any ideas to make sure these work properly or do I just need to take it in somewhere and have the sensors replaced.

TIA.
NO! Under inflated tires will heat up and fail. What was your warning? The PSI in a tire will increase with air temperature. If you're tires are over heating stop and let them cool. If any thing add air. I suggest that you get your coach weight on all for corners and calculate your air pressure based upon you tire make, model, and size, and the highest weight per each axel.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 09:36 PM   #4

I have published several long threads about the problems that I have had with my Valor TPMS. In short, my Cornerstone was one of the early coaches down the assembly line and at my two year PDI/AIR, I went to Spartan after Middlebury and discovered that all of my tire sensors batteries were bad. Spartan's and my guesses were both that early 19 coaches that came down the line had sensors installed that they had been using to develop the system and test it and the sensors were already several years old when installed in my Cornerstone. Spartan replaced all 8 of my sensors. Toad sensors which were bought in June (I picked up my coach end of May) have worked just fine the whole time. The guess is that they were brand new batteries.

Im going to come back and edit this post with a link to my thread that was up here. If you will start in the first post and read each post in the thread you will learn all about what your problem is and what the fix probably is. You will also discover that Brobox doesnt like the system and I do....

Note how you can read the battery voltages and the presumed optimum points where the sensors fail.

EDIT: Here is the link. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/val...ng-519052.html

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Chuck, were the warnings for tire pressure or tire temperature?
Warnings were for tire pressure. Temperature was of course fairly high also with outside temps being 111 but not to warning level.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I have published several long threads about the problems that I have had with my Valor TPMS. In short, my Cornerstone was one of the early coaches down the assembly line and at my two year PDI/AIR, I went to Spartan after Middlebury and discovered that all of my tire sensors batteries were bad. Spartan's and my guesses were both that early 19 coaches that came down the line had sensors installed that they had been using to develop the system and test it and the sensors were already several years old when installed in my Cornerstone. Spartan replaced all 8 of my sensors. Toad sensors which were bought in June (I picked up my coach end of May) have worked just fine the whole time. The guess is that they were brand new batteries.

Im going to come back and edit this post with a link to my thread that was up here. If you will start in the first post and read each post in the thread you will learn all about what your problem is and what the fix probably is. You will also discover that Brobox doesnt like the system and I do....

Note how you can read the battery voltages and the presumed optimum points where the sensors fail.

EDIT: Here is the link. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/val...ng-519052.html

Gary
Holy smokes! I have an early 2019. Bought at the Perry show in March of 18. Iíll be willing to bet I have the same bad battery issue. Too bad Iím now past three years and will have to get them all replaced on my dime.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:23 AM   #7

Chuck

I'd be willing to bet on it.

One of the uses of the remote programmer is that they will read the battery voltages of the sensors if you hold the unit right near the air stem. As I noted in my write up, I was told that battery voltages below ~ 2.7 volts are associated with failure of the sensor to be recorded by the dash.

Another variable is the placement of antennas. There is another thread up here that talks about all of that. I now have a third antenna which is installed right at the back of the coach.

Although I really like all those green lights lit up on the dash, the alternative is to spend about $800 and get an external TPMS system installed. I had already decided if I could not get my system working while on Spartan warranty that I would go toward an external system. Each wheel will be 50 - 60 dollars plus the cost of breaking down and rebalancing each tire.

Valor says the batteries should last 5 to 7 years.

Gary
Old 07-12-2021, 02:09 PM   #8

Quote:

TIA.
I routinely get amber alerts on 6-7 tires when driving in hot weather. It takes quite a bit of driving and pressures are usually just a lb. or two above the amber alert value and well below the pressures Iíve seen when using the external sensors on a different Mh.
I would never let air out of a hot tire to please the TPMS.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:50 AM   #9

Jerry

Whoever programmed your "baselines" just chose a lower baseline value. It can easily be sent 5# higher and you wont get those amber lights. Now, your point that the ambers show but the actual pressures shown are just a few pounds over the pressures that typically show from the same tires during fall and spring. So it would be just fine to raise the baselines by 5#. How the baselines are programmed is the key to the whole thing.

Gary
Old 07-13-2021, 08:00 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Has anyone received a Valor TPMS that has worked perfect at delivery and has continued to work?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Jerry

Whoever programmed your "baselines" just chose a lower baseline value. It can easily be sent 5# higher and you wont get those amber lights. Now, your point that the ambers show but the actual pressures shown are just a few pounds over the pressures that typically show from the same tires during fall and spring. So it would be just fine to raise the baselines by 5#. How the baselines are programmed is the key to the whole thing.

Gary
Thanks Gary, but I havenít been in a place long enough to get the box for setting them. Last year we were in the UP of Michigan and I didnít see any alerts.
This year in Az, Ut, Id, and Mt is a different story.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:25 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No, only adjust the air at cold inflation. I dont know about you TPMS. But I can change my alarm Psi set points. maybe adjust the set points.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:41 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Gunter View Post
Thanks Gary, but I havenít been in a place long enough to get the box for setting them. Last year we were in the UP of Michigan and I didnít see any alerts.
This year in Az, Ut, Id, and Mt is a different story.
Same problem I am experiencing. The Valor are only programed to run in the norther part of the county. Once it is over 85* nothing but heat related error codes.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:08 AM   #14

How many more times do I have to repeat this.....

The percentage change points for amber and red alarms is set by the Valor company. The pressures run in the tires is a decision made by the owner.

The baselines are decided upon by the dealer before sale, without any knowledge of how much weight the tires will actually be carrying, or where the tires will be used most often. The baselines are an arbitrary decided upon criterion made by an owner or a dealer. If the baselines are arbitrarily set at too low a point, then fairly minor differences such as whether the coach is used up north in the fall and spring, or in Arizona, NM, and TX in July and August. If the baselines are too low, then you will get warnings. If way too high, you will miss important temp and pressure rises. If set right, then you probably get nothing under normal conditions such as geographical changes or calendar changes, but you still get what really matters, and that is warning of problems.

Its really simple. If you get warnings of pressures being too high under normal conditions, the baselines are simply set too low.

Gary

Tags
tire, tire pressure, tpms