Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-09-2022, 04:14 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Mission, TX
Posts: 80
TPMS Sensors - Internal or External

The last straw for the add-on Valor TPMS on my coach arrived recently in the form of battery depletion on all six of my internal sensors. So now the inevitable questions:

Do I replace all six and expect that will cure all of this system's ills? No

If not Valor, then who? Tireminder or TST

Internal or external sensors? Pluses and minuses for each ...

I like the cost and serviceability of external sensors, but I would consider flow-through a must and I'm leary of long valve stem add-ons hanging off the front wheels ...

Does anyone care to weigh in?
Gordon1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2022, 04:39 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Mwoodofd's Avatar


 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Las Colinas, Texas
Posts: 1,833
I have had the TST for a while on mine (8 years) - I use the flow thru style sensor for the coach with color monitor, and I put the standard on the jeep (flow thru would work fine if you don't off-road) - makes it easy to adjust air pressure. I also bought the extender and put it in the rear closet to aid picking up the toad sensors.

I have only replaced batteries from time to time, and have had a sensor or two that I needed to replace due to signal loss. Not sure why the built in system seems to be having so many issues.

I had the tire minder product, and I am not bashing them, they were very "can do", but the system never worked for me.
__________________
Mark & Debra Wood, Las Colinas, TX.
2013 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 05:37 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
RVStitchy's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Fl
Posts: 703
We used Tire Minder for our 2020 Kountry Star and Toad. Worked very well.

Our 2022 Dutch Star has the new Valor Gen III system which is working perfectly. However, I have not heard of an upgrade path from Gen I systems - which I assume you have. From everything I have read the Gen I is not worth the time and money to pull all the coach tires and replace the sensors.
__________________
2022 Dutch Star 4369 FL Towing 2022 GMC Sierra 1500
Chris & Lee, Finnegan & Kirby (Double Doodled)
2020 Kountry Star 3709 towing Equinox.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 07:35 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Mission, TX
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwoodofd View Post
I have had the TST for a while on mine (8 years) - I use the flow thru style sensor for the coach with color monitor, and I put the standard on the jeep (flow thru would work fine if you don't off-road) - makes it easy to adjust air pressure. I also bought the extender and put it in the rear closet to aid picking up the toad sensors.

I have only replaced batteries from time to time, and have had a sensor or two that I needed to replace due to signal loss. Not sure why the built in system seems to be having so many issues.

I had the tire minder product, and I am not bashing them, they were very "can do", but the system never worked for me.
Thanks Mwoodofd! I take it that the extra length of the flow thru on the front wheels has not posed an issue for you ...
Gordon1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 07:40 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Mission, TX
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVStitchy View Post
We used Tire Minder for our 2020 Kountry Star and Toad. Worked very well.

Our 2022 Dutch Star has the new Valor Gen III system which is working perfectly. However, I have not heard of an upgrade path from Gen I systems - which I assume you have. From everything I have read the Gen I is not worth the time and money to pull all the coach tires and replace the sensors.
Thanks RVStitchy! In hindsight I probably should have walked away from the Gen I stuff a while ago. I haven't heard much about Gen III, but that's probably because there's no aftermarket fitment ...
Gordon1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 01:45 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Mwoodofd's Avatar


 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Las Colinas, Texas
Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon1152 View Post
Thanks Mwoodofd! I take it that the extra length of the flow thru on the front wheels has not posed an issue for you ...
No issues for me on the steer - hope that does not jinx me
__________________
Mark & Debra Wood, Las Colinas, TX.
2013 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 08:00 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
bevandtomH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,137
If you do go with an external TPMS, get one that allows you to set a High Temp limit. I like my EEZE Tire but when road surfaces get warm, I am regularly reaching down to quiet the alarm. Mine is 4 years old, maybe the newer ones allow it.
__________________
___________
Tom & Bev, Riley 6yo Lab
2014 Entegra Aspire 44b, 2017 Jeep JKU
bevandtomH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 08:29 AM   #8
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,377
You should not consider flow-thru a “must”. I don’t install the “ant-theft” ring on the outside of my sensors for a couple of reasons, and never recommend than anyone do.

Without that useless extra plastic cap on the sensors, they are much lighter and smaller….so small you don’t even visually notice them (really!). They just look like valve stem “caps”

They just easily unscrew with your fingers, just like a valve stem cap would, and screw back on just as easily, no special tool required.

I find I only need to add air to the tires 2 or 3 times per year, so no trouble at all to unscrew a sensor, add the air, then put sensor back on.

In almost 3 years of full time travels, never an issue with theft or vandalism. Honestly, they are so small, nobody would notice, and theft would do them no good anyway, as they wouldn’t have the receiver which makes them work anyway.

I have the Eez-tire which are some of the smallest sensors in the industry. Replacing the batteries is a 2 minute job, easy-peasy, and I have had sensors last over 2 years on the same battery.
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 08:40 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 711
I have the TST 507 system.

One of the four sensors will not seal on my trailer tires, so whichever tire it is on will quickly leak down. I sent it to TST for replacement, and TST said it looks OK to them and are sending it back to me. Not very helpful.

Many people use the TST system successfully, but when this sensor gets back to me the whole system is going back to the Amazon vendor.
__________________
2018 F350 Limited, 2021 Arctic Fox 27-5L
300 Ah Battleborn LiFePo4, 3kw Victron Multiplus, 600W Solar, SeeLevel
JHinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 11:39 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Balladeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 217
Tpms solutions

Go to this web site rvibrake.com
See all they have to offer.
I use their tmps system, Toad brake system, and toad charger system
The external tire sensors can be easily removed and therefor not using battery power when not needed.
The braking system is removable and therefor adaptable to a new toad or as in my case either toad.
All systems are monitored in the coach on the tablet.

I have been very satisfied with the performance as well as the customer service from them. They are in Colorado.

Safe travels...
__________________
Gregg & Sandy, Penngrove, California
2016 Anthem 44B Victory Blue
2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 2020 Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Balladeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 12:30 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
RVFunlovers's Avatar


 
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
You should not consider flow-thru a “must”. I don’t install the “ant-theft” ring on the outside of my sensors for a couple of reasons, and never recommend than anyone do.

Without that useless extra plastic cap on the sensors, they are much lighter and smaller….so small you don’t even visually notice them (really!). They just look like valve stem “caps”

They just easily unscrew with your fingers, just like a valve stem cap would, and screw back on just as easily, no special tool required.

I find I only need to add air to the tires 2 or 3 times per year, so no trouble at all to unscrew a sensor, add the air, then put sensor back on.

In almost 3 years of full time travels, never an issue with theft or vandalism. Honestly, they are so small, nobody would notice, and theft would do them no good anyway, as they wouldn’t have the receiver which makes them work anyway.

I have the Eez-tire which are some of the smallest sensors in the industry. Replacing the batteries is a 2 minute job, easy-peasy, and I have had sensors last over 2 years on the same battery.

This is exactly what I do as well. No issues and much smaller. I do not use flow through or the large cap. If someone wants to get the device off the can even with the anti theft ring.
__________________
Hal and Pam Navarre
2022 Entegra Cornerstone W
2020 Ford Edge ST
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:25 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
MRUSA14's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
You should not consider flow-thru a “must”. I don’t install the “ant-theft” ring on the outside of my sensors for a couple of reasons, and never recommend than anyone do.

Without that useless extra plastic cap on the sensors, they are much lighter and smaller….so small you don’t even visually notice them (really!). They just look like valve stem “caps”

They just easily unscrew with your fingers, just like a valve stem cap would, and screw back on just as easily, no special tool required.

I find I only need to add air to the tires 2 or 3 times per year, so no trouble at all to unscrew a sensor, add the air, then put sensor back on.

In almost 3 years of full time travels, never an issue with theft or vandalism. Honestly, they are so small, nobody would notice, and theft would do them no good anyway, as they wouldn’t have the receiver which makes them work anyway.

I have the Eez-tire which are some of the smallest sensors in the industry. Replacing the batteries is a 2 minute job, easy-peasy, and I have had sensors last over 2 years on the same battery.
X3 on the all of the above. Also, the batteries are inexpensive and are quick and easy to change when needed.
__________________
Marc and Jill, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:44 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: on the road
Posts: 178
Thumbs up

Have the tire minder system on coach ( 6 ) ,receiver and toad ( 4 ) . Had them for 5 years with on problems, other that a change of batteries a few times , lost of signal and at the start of a long trip. Take them off car when using it around town and to site see . Leave them on coach all the time . Will remove them to air tires ,as you can check pressure thru monitor and only do that tire . If I have a problem ,battery change seems to correct it . Would buy again as it is something you do need .
__________________
Jim 2016 Forza 34 T 2014 Honda CRV
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:51 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Mission, TX
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevandtomH View Post
If you do go with an external TPMS, get one that allows you to set a High Temp limit. I like my EEZE Tire but when road surfaces get warm, I am regularly reaching down to quiet the alarm. Mine is 4 years old, maybe the newer ones allow it.
Copy that ... Thanks!
Gordon1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tpms



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TPMS Sensors, internal or external? augerdogger iRV2.com General Discussion 37 05-23-2019 11:28 AM
Using External TPMS sensors on TOAD with OEM TPMS 37driver Gear and Product Discussions 6 03-30-2017 07:10 PM
TST 507 TPMS INT, internal sensors CampDaven RV Systems & Appliances 7 03-06-2014 10:04 AM
Internal TPMS sensors adonh Class A Motorhome Discussions 5 01-28-2014 07:04 PM
TST Internal TPMS Sensors bdickson Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 9 11-14-2013 06:14 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.