Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2016, 11:02 PM   #1

Trailer Brakes

It dawned on me the other day while driving back from Road Atlanta with the coach and trailer...does the Entegra coaches come with built in electric trailer brake controllers? If not, what is everyone using?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2016, 11:05 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Nope, but I use THIS and love it. Once set you don't even need the car controller (hand controller) which now makes it easy to go from car to car.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:32 PM   #3

If you do decide to go with a wired controller, there is a wire under the dash of the coach that is pre wired to the seven pin rv plug around the back of the coach. Call CS and they will take you through it.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE_ View Post
Nope, but I use THIS and love it. Once set you don't even need the car controller (hand controller) which now makes it easy to go from car to car.
That thing looks pretty sweet and really just a plug and play sort of deal.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:25 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Yep. I have three tow vehicles and love it
Old 12-12-2016, 07:52 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a 15 ft enclosed Motorcycle trailer and installed a "Tekonsha P3" at the dash. Our coaches are pre-wired at the dash for such devices. Here's the response I was given from Spartan, when I asked about the wiring under the dash.

============
Yes there is a connector that is wired with a circuit going back to the tow plug. I have attached a diagram showing what the plug looks like and it should be under the dash near the steering column.

The Blue wire SP709 goes back to the tow plug in the rear.
The Red wire is your stop light signal that shows the brakes are applied.
Pink is from a 30 amp fuse in the front fuse panel marked break control
black is ground.

Thank You

Charlie Fisher
Retail Customer& Product Support Lead, Specialty Vehicles
OFFICE 800-543-4277 - Option 1
EMAIL charlie.fisher@spartanmotors.com
WEB www.spartanchassis.com

Hope this helps.
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:54 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
wiring diagram, sorry it's upside down. That's how Charlie sent it to me.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3715-gg5 tow plug under dash.pdf (85.0 KB, 130 views)
Old 12-12-2016, 09:50 AM   #8

Had a RF unit in my GL350 pulling an Airstream and it worked great but if you go that direction make sure the handheld and coach will pair with the unit bolted to your trailer since it may have a range limitation. Also make sure it won't operate the trailer brakes based solely on a brake light signal. That would be bad on long downhills with your engine brake on. I went with a regular controller wired as discussed and adjust the gain based on weight I'm pulling.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleySG View Post
wiring diagram, sorry it's upside down. That's how Charlie sent it to me.
Thanks for the diagram, that's going to make it too easy for me not to do this myself.

On a coach with air brakes, does the controller just sense the brake light signal from the coach and then adjust the gain sent to the trailer from the controller itself?
Old 12-13-2016, 11:02 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yea, the diagram seems confusing (especially if you look at it upside down) , but only pay attention to the colored wires and what they mean. That's really what you need to know, in order to hook up a brake controller at the dash. I think my brake controller had the same colored wires, so it was easy to match them up.

This setup knows when you put your foot on the brake via an electrical connection (doesn't care if the brakes are "air" or not). The Electric Brake Controller that you purchase and install at the dash (with it's own power feed), tells your trailer (that has electric brakes at it's axle) to apply the brakes at the trailer. You can adjust the electrical signal Plus or Minus, to the trailer, depending on your braking needs.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleySG View Post
Yea, the diagram seems confusing (especially if you look at it upside down) , but only pay attention to the colored wires and what they mean. That's really what you need to know, in order to hook up a brake controller at the dash. I think my brake controller had the same colored wires, so it was easy to match them up.

This setup knows when you put your foot on the brake via an electrical connection (doesn't care if the brakes are "air" or not). The Electric Brake Controller that you purchase and install at the dash (with it's own power feed), tells your trailer (that has electric brakes at it's axle) to apply the brakes at the trailer. You can adjust the electrical signal Plus or Minus, to the trailer, depending on your braking needs.

Hope this helps.
I was told by a knowledgeable technician that the 'brake light' wire is energized by your engine brake activating as well as depressing the brake. Hence my warning about your trailer brakes overheating on long downhills when using engine brake in lieu of air brakes. If that's not the case then please advise.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:31 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi Jim,

That's a great question and something Spartan didn't bring up to me, during our discussions. I would ask this of Spartan to be sure.

In my case, my trailer has never experienced overheating, but that may also depend upon the size and weight of your trailer. I would guess the same holds true for what ever your towing.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:27 AM   #13

Your trailer brakes won't overheat unless you have them cranked up to the max setting and going down a long hill.

Install the trailer brake controller and enjoy.

"Finally"

Sent from somewhere in the USA
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:57 AM   #14

Used the Spartan supplied wiring with a Tekonsha controller for three years towing g a jeep and RZR on a 10k trailer. Doesn't overheat the trailer brakes and doesn't apply them when only the jake is on. Only applies when the service brake is in use.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes