Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2017, 08:20 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
Trans Canada highway is fine. If you do come - stay at Tunnel Mountain in Banff. It’s a national park and reservations are highly recommended. There are a few options.

Brian
If you want a site at Tunnel Mountain you need to reserve very early (like now), as they book up fully. It is an excellent campground. Same goes for the full hookup CG’s at Lake Louise and Jasper National Parks. All of these should not be missed. The scenery and the ambiance in these areas is unsurpassed by any place in North America and should be on every RVers bucket list.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2017, 08:29 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
I'm posting this here because most of us have big rigs and one of my concerns is how easy or hard it is to transverse Canada on the TC.

So my question is have any of you ever done the Trans Canada. I would probably pick it up north of Toronto and then head west but I wasn't sure if there would be issues with rigs our size and how available campgrounds may be.
Once you get out of Ontario most of it is 4 lane until you get to the mountains. Then there are sections of two lane. It is a major route but has anything from two lane to controlled access highway. Winnipeg and Calgary have bypasses. Regina was working on one so there are alternatives. You have to go through Medicine Hat.

Myth Buster - you will not see any igloos. Sorry if you are disappointed.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:36 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Saskatchewan has NO rest areas for any rig. Most of the way is
100KMH (60MPH), a couple of Provinces are 90KMH (55MPH).
All the traffic signs in Quebec are only in French.
Travel centres east of Saskatchewan are Canadian Tire.
These are your fuel and rest area stops.

We drove the TCH from BC to Nova Scotia last September. Lots of
construction Ont. Man. and Quebec.

As mentioned......fuel is mucho dollars.

OH.......WELCOME
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:05 PM   #18

Trans Canadian

My wife and I drove around Canada and Alaska last year for 3 months. Beautiful country there and we will do it again. My experience was, in Canada, everything from the Canadian Rockies to the west was camper friendly. Lots of RV parks and plenty of road side pullouts for dry camping. During our travels we never made a reservation in advance and never had a problem finding a place to camp. We hopped on the TCH on our way back to the Great Lakes starting in Calgary. From there to Thunder Bay was a challenge to camp. Very few pull outs and rest areas along this stretch of highway. I was both amazed and frustrated with this. East of the Rockies was like night and day when comparing it to the west. Campgrounds were far and between and limited with sites. The roads were great....just like in the states if not better. Just like DSL417 said...check out Hyder area. Same things that you would drive all the way to Alaska to see, you can see them in Hyder...... Have Fun !!!

ps......... while on our way back to the states we stopped to dry camp in the Walmart parking lot in White Horse. There were 52 campers there partying in the lot. What a great time !!!
DonGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:52 AM   #19

We have travelled from Newfoundland through Canada as far west as Calgary, Alberta a few times. We had no issues or trouble finding campgrounds. The fuel though is more expensive and some of the highways are not quite as good as most in the US.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:54 AM   #20

Would just add that if you go to the Banff/Jasper areas it is essential that you do the Icefields Parkway....most spectacular route in North America.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:02 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Once you get out of Ontario most of it is 4 lane until you get to the mountains. Then there are sections of two lane. It is a major route but has anything from two lane to controlled access highway. Winnipeg and Calgary have bypasses. Regina was working on one so there are alternatives. You have to go through Medicine Hat.

Having been stationed in Fairbanks for a year and a half I quickly learned that our perceptions of both Northern Canada and Alaska were pretty far off base. I drove the Alcan when it was still a dirt road almost the entire length of the Canadian section. Drove up in June with the dust and rocks and drove back in December doing my pickup truck version of Ice Road Truckers. Fun trip in both directions.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
"I think the comment about using US funds at restaurants and gas stations in Canada was a bit unfair."

Just an observation and a recommendation. As the difference can be up to 30%, it is worth making the exchange and just easier...either way. We experienced both sides of the coin; it didn't change the perception of the two different Summer trips into Canada. Both were wonderful, and the sights must be seen.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:59 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post

Honk and wave as you go through town.

I'll be the one on the dog sled.........
Old 12-19-2017, 10:08 AM   #24

If your going to go ... consider (headed west) Medicine Hat Alberta (on Hwy 1 / Trans Canada) take Hwy 3 towards Lethbridge this takes you along the CDN - USA border sometimes a mile away - then Cranbrook BC via Crowsnest Pass - Castlegar BC - Grand Forks BC - then Osoyoos BC (Canada's desert with rattle snakes and scorpion's).

Yiks I like adventure trips but this was tense ... wife and kids never looked RIGHT [we were headed EAST] - (over the shoulder of the road - read - drop off) for the entire day. I was wondering why my palms were sweaty - I usually don't sweat - YUP moderate / near horror / fear.

pic #3 is one of the few spots were they put barriers - as otherwise OVER YOU GO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2017-12-19 10.53.34.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	186171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2017-12-19 10.53.21.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	186172  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2017-12-19 11.03.15.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	186179  
CF-104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:32 AM   #25

That's mountains for ya. Lots of those in this part of the country.

Try Vancouver Island from Port Alberni to Tofino.
Mandatory Mountain Travel Kit for Prairie Dwellers, Blind folds and a box of Valium.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF-104 View Post
If your going to go ... consider (headed west) Medicine Hat Alberta (on Hwy 1 / Trans Canada) take Hwy 3 towards Lethbridge this takes you along the CDN - USA border sometimes a mile away - then Cranbrook BC via Crowsnest Pass - Castlegar BC - Grand Forks BC - then Osoyoos BC (Canada's desert with rattle snakes and scorpion's).

Yiks I like adventure trips but this was tense ... wife and kids never looked RIGHT [we were headed EAST] - (over the shoulder of the road - read - drop off) for the entire day. I was wondering why my palms were sweaty - I usually don't sweat - YUP moderate / near horror / fear.

pic #3 is one of the few spots were they put barriers - as otherwise OVER YOU GO.
That's overlooking Osoyoos. They never used to have the barriers in the middle. Also the pullout right on the corner never had any barriers. My wife closes her eyes on that one still to this day.....

We are headed that way tomorrow for a week. Might have to delay it a day or two. They are expecting 15" of snow in the passes tonight/tomorrow. Might give the snowplows a days head start.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:41 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
That's mountains for ya. Lots of those in this part of the country.

Try Vancouver Island from Port Alberni to Tofino.
Mandatory Mountain Travel Kit for Prairie Dwellers, Blind folds and a box of Valium.

I'm gonna have to remember that one.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:53 PM   #28

I second the currency exchange concern and it's best to get your $$ exchanged. Living near Port Huron, Mi I have seen retailers on both sides of the border take advantage of exchange rates. Yes, even some US border cities/stores don't accept CA $$, unfair but that's life.
Also check your debit card account, some banks give full exchange rate and don't charge a foreign transaction fee.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada