RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2020, 06:59 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Transfer switch chatter

We own an Anthem that is all electric. Over the past couple of extended trips we have encountered campground power problems with 50 amp service. In some campgrounds we have to manage the use of electrical components to avoid sending our transfer switch into uncontrolled chatter. Yet in other campgrounds power is not a problem. Recently we spent a month in an RV park in the mountains of NC and the transfer switch chatter was a problem. We had the park electrician check the post. He installed a new plug and told us all was well with the two 120V legs. We still had chatter problems with our transfer switch and began to think the transfer switch was the problem. We left the RV park, drove to a nearby Cummins Engine repair facility and spent the night for a 7:30am appointment next day. The Cummins shop allowed us to plug into a 50amp post for the night. We had no problems with the transfer switch chatter no matter how many electrical components we turned on at one time. At the campground the chatter would start at times with just a 15amp load and most always on a 30 plus amp load.

Question: What would be the difference in the 50 amp services that would cause transfer switch problems in some RV parks and not so in others. As I think back on the few parks we have had the problem a common thread seems to be they were older parks.

Thanks in advance for your input.
wingrider07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2020, 12:15 AM   #2

I had transfer switch chatter but it turned out to be a bad power cord reel. I discovered this by moving my power cord while plugged in and the cord was extended all the way out. I had already replaced the transfer switch once thinking it was the problem because if the cord was not in a certain position all was well. Might give it a try as the power cord reels do seem to go out.
ronlin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:56 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Do you have a Progressive EMS that checks for ground faults or other issues?
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:58 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
When I had the transfer switch chatter, it was the surge protection board in my Progressive Electrical Management system. It happened while in storage, so no other electrical sources were checked. If you have a Progressive unit, they will troubleshoot over the phone if it is a cord, their unit or the transfer switch. You will need a volt meter and the cover off of the transfer switch and the Progressive, if hardwired. The problem will probably be a disruption of power to the transfer switch as J.H. had in his power cord.

In my situation it was caused by bad power at my storage location, a shared aircraft hanger where the Progressive worked overtime and finally knocked the replaceable board out. The hanger has since had all new incoming power lines and the circuit panel replaced. Nice to have clean power again.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:42 AM   #5

It is possible that you were having low voltage when you were using items and the relay contactor was having a hard time trying to keep the contacts closed.
Turbojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:31 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Transfer switch chatter

First, thank you to those who have responded so far. On our way home an overnight stop revealed more problems with the transfer switch. On previous occasions when the chatter would start I would switch from 50 amp hookup to a 30 amp. On this occasion the 30 amp hookup lasted from 8pm to 1:30am and the 30amp began to chatter requiring a complete disconnect and power from only inverters. IS THERE A WAY TO DETERMINE WHEN IT IS TRANSFER SWITCH AND WHEN LOW VOLTAGE IS THE CULPRIT?
Thanks again.
wingrider07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:37 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingrider07 View Post
IS THERE A WAY TO DETERMINE WHEN IT IS TRANSFER SWITCH AND WHEN LOW VOLTAGE IS THE CULPRIT?
Thanks again.
Do you have an EMS.. It has been asked, it is a need to know before problems can be diagnosed.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:02 AM   #8

The most likely cause of transfer switch chatter is going to be electrical flow being interrupted somewhere on you input. This could be a bad power cord, plug, power reel, power source, etc. You will have to track it down. Just wiggle all of your input sources and see it your transfer chatters. It has to be somewhere prior to the transfer switch or the switch itself. I would bet on power flow.
ronlin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:39 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I had this kind of chatter on my rig once when I went to park it in my storage facility and left the A\C's in the on position by mistake. Once I plugged in to 110 shore power just to keep the batteries charged, my transfer switch went to chattering like you described. Definitely not enough power.

Sounds like it works in some locations and campgrounds, and then after travel and moving, it may happen again. Seems like a connection problem, but not sure how to diagnose other than follow from the post to the reel checking for interruptions. Have seen on here where some have had defective cords as well. Hope you can find the problem.
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch, transfer switch