Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2020, 10:12 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Transfer Switch Chattered

On my 2014 Anthem while hooked up to shore power the transfer switch starts to chatter. This is very random but seems to be happening more frequently. I am in a brand new park and my Progressive Surge Protector is not showing any errors. It is showing that the incoming voltage is 125 to 127 on both legs. I have tried moving the power reel (while power is off) this did not stop the chatter. This does not happen while on generator power. Turned generator on while the transfer switch was chattering and it stopped. I did notice that during the chatter my A/C stayed on, but tripped the #1 A/C breaker. I shut the #1 breaker off but it still occured. I have a video of the chatter, just can't or do not know how to upload from moblie device.
Oldguy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2020, 06:34 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
My 14 did the same thing. It was the sacrificial circuit board in the Progressive. Call progressive with the cover off of your transfer switch and the EMS. You will also need a volt meter They will walk you through the test. If the board is bad and you are the original owner, they will mail out a new board.
Also try turning the bypass switch on and see if the chattering stops. The switch is on the front of the digital monitor. If it's a portable unit, unplug it and see if the chattering stops. Also check that the lugs are tight in the transfer switch. They do come loose from going down the road.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:49 AM   #3

The contacts could be carboned up or in my case I had stink bugs get into the switch and got in between the contacts.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:38 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Update on Transfer Switch. I have disconnected the generator from the transfer switch and rewired the shore power to the other contact and all has been well. No issues and no chatter. Which leads me to believe that the coil is bad in my transfer switch. Will do more research once we get home from camping. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:45 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy2013 View Post
Update on Transfer Switch. I have disconnected the generator from the transfer switch and rewired the shore power to the other contact and all has been well. No issues and no chatter. Which leads me to believe that the coil is bad in my transfer switch. Will do more research once we get home from camping. Thanks for everyone's input.
Depending on how your progressive is wired...by switching the wires in the transfer switch did you bypass the Progressive?
Old 11-07-2020, 04:20 PM   #6

Our 2014 transfer switch chattered as what you described in your post. I contacted TRC Surge guard (727) 812-0530, a lady named Kerri and they shipped me a new transfer switch, I installed and it solved the problem. I followed the installation instructions paying particular attention to the torque requirements and was an easy job.
EVsCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:09 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
No sir I did not, I disconnected the generator all together and hard wired the wire coming from my surge Protector into the contact that the generator was wired to. I have had the surge Protector in my coach for three years and I keep it plugged in to a 50 amp service at the house. Once I did this everything worked fine and the transfer switch did not chatter anymore. Home now and will call the maker of the transfer switch and see if they can help me troubleshoot the problem. Will also take your advice and call Progressive Industries and see what help they can provide. Once fixed will do a follow up as to what the problem was and the final solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Depending on how your progressive is wired...by switching the wires in the transfer switch did you bypass the Progressive?
Old 11-08-2020, 12:10 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you will call on Monday morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVsCoach View Post
Our 2014 transfer switch chattered as what you described in your post. I contacted TRC Surge guard (727) 812-0530, a lady named Kerri and they shipped me a new transfer switch, I installed and it solved the problem. I followed the installation instructions paying particular attention to the torque requirements and was an easy job.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:54 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Look forward to the update, I am sure it will help others.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:22 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Update on my chattering transfer switch, I contacted Southwire and Steve in Technical Support sent me the following email:

"The model 41260 will chatter for a couple of reasons. The most common is when there is low voltage say down in the 100’s. Sometimes that is just not enough to keep the 41260 engages so it chatters. I believe you mentioned that the voltages are not low. So the second reason for chatter is the switch is starting to get weak and chattering. You do not mention how old the switch is but they start to chatter due to age around 5 years+/-. It might be time for a new switch.
If you want to get by without your generator until it is a good opportunity to change out switch, you can swap around your leads and put shore power into the generator relay. That is just fine and safe but you will not have use of your generator. "

By the way Jack and Evelyn, I left two voice mails for Kerri at TRC Surge Guard and have not gotten a reply back after two days.

I will order the Surge Guard TRC 40350-RVC1 50 Amp Hardwire Automatic Transfer Switch, this appears to be the upgraded switch.

Again Thanks to all that replied!
Old 11-11-2020, 02:30 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Kevin, good update. When the circuit board went out on my Progressive EMS, that is what Progressive said, it lowered the power going into the coach causing the transfer switch the chatter. Glad the problem was located and thanks for posting the fix.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy2013 View Post
Thank you will call on Monday morning.
The problem is with the contacts within the transfer switch. not the relay. Depending on how the switch is built you could replace to contacts but the easiest way is to just replace the TS. Problem solved in short order.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:16 AM   #13

We had the same problem with the same model transfer switch. The chattering would wake us up at nighty. I replaced the transfer switch and now everything works well.

Good luck

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:26 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Another Update:

I spoke with Steve this morning at Southwind which owns TRC and he recommended that I stay with the 41260 switch. This is the email he sent me:
The older Model 41260 is much different from the new one concerning the circuit board and the software. The new one is much more reliable. The Relays are basically the same. The are both Chint relays which are very good. The 40350RVC has full surge and voltage protection. The 41260 also has surge protection but no high or low voltage protection. You need hi/lo voltage protection since that happens frequently at RV parks and can do lots of damage to your RV.

The big differences are the 40350RVC has the ability to communicate with other non Southwire displays and accessories. That is what the RVC means (C=Communication). Since you have a 41260 with no communication that feature with the 40350RVC probably will be of no value to you. The 40350RVC will communicate with our Remote Display Panel which I believe has value. The display shows volts, amps and faults and stores 50 faults for your review. So if you go to lunch and when you return you notice there was an interruption of power, the display will tell when and why.

Price difference is also quite a bit. The 41260 is about $325 and the 40350RVC is about $900. You can use the extra money to buy a separate Surge Guard device for voltage protection. Such as a 34951 to sue in front of the 41260. Then you would be fully protected.

We still make the 41260 and I recommend you stay with it.

Does anyone have any information if the 4035RVC is worth the extra money, as I have a Progressive Industries LMS-LCHW50 Surge Protector hardwired into the coach. By the way I have found a price for the 41260 for 217.24 and the 40350RVC for 567.34, both with free shipping. I don't mind spending the extra money if there is reason to! But I can by two 41260s for less money then the 40350.

Tags
switch, transfer switch