Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2016, 05:13 PM   #1

Transfer Switch Issue

Not an Entegra but hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Lost shore power. Checked 50amp outlet, 123/124 each leg. Started generator and heard the "clunk" as it switched over to coach. Verified power inside by microwave blinking and inverter panel reading 13.5 volts. Plugged power cord in and turned on breaker and I get nothing.

Can a portion of the switch fail?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #2

Yes, a 50 amp transfer switch has 2 contactors in it.

Google the brand switch you have and download the troubleshooting guide.

When you open it, you may find some burned connections.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:37 PM   #3

I did look inside and didn't see any obvious burnt wires or connections. It's dark, cold and windy now and may snow tonight. I'll check it again in the day light and see I can find something.

Of course this head cold I have is fogging my thinking a bit too, doesn't help.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:41 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyOutlaw View Post
I did look inside and didn't see any obvious burnt wires or connections. It's dark, cold and windy now and may snow tonight. I'll check it again in the day light and see I can find something.

Of course this head cold I have is fogging my thinking a bit too, doesn't help.
The coil in the shore power contactor just could of failed..... You are going to have to use a meter and locate the "Coil" 120v signal wire to the coil and make sure there is 120v from shore power on it, and if there is, the coil failed.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:52 PM   #5

Thanks, I'll look into that tomorrow.

Worse case, if I have to replace can you recommend a good unit. I have a surge protector, a hand me down from my parents and I believe it's suspect.......how about a transfer switch and surge protector all in one unit?
Old 12-02-2016, 05:57 PM   #6

And it gets better. With generator running power to RV stopped. So, I guess the transfer switch is toast. Great. Warranty is expired too, figures.......
Old 12-02-2016, 06:06 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyOutlaw View Post
Thanks, I'll look into that tomorrow.

Worse case, if I have to replace can you recommend a good unit. I have a surge protector, a hand me down from my parents and I believe it's suspect.......how about a transfer switch and surge protector all in one unit?
Take a meter and check the output side of your surge protector to make sure the problem is not it.......might just as well check in in put side also while you are at it......
Old 12-02-2016, 06:16 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Check the circuit breaker on the generator. Maybe to much demand tripped the breaker.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:32 PM   #9

If you're on the road, and comfortable making wiring changes, you could just jump past the transfer switch.

However if you do that, throw the breaker on the front of the generator, and preferably disconnect generator wiring from transfer switch to make sure both sources can't interact.

Yes they do make surge protectors built into transfer switches, but I don't think they provide all protections and checks that you get from a dedicated surge protector.

Just be safe and careful if you do any wiring changes, especially if the cold is taking away from you concentration!

Steve
Old 12-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #10

Thanks for all the input. I will take a better look tomorrow in the day light. Have extension cord to pedestal to run electric heater so we should be warm enough. I guess I'll find out how the fridge can run on battery power. LOL
Old 12-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Check the circuit breaker on the generator. Maybe to much demand tripped the breaker.
Thanks for the simple suggestion Got the gennie back up so we will be nice and toasty tonight after all. Guess I learned the capacity of a 5500watt gennie.

Still leaves me with a half-bad transfer switch.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:01 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
If you have a 30 amp dog try switching to the 30 amp service. That would tell you if the L1 line is passing power through the transfer switch.

I was staying at park last Saturday and my 50 amp service was acting up. Checked with multi meter read 121 & 122 but my surge protector would shut it down with a load was put on it. All ok on generator, switch to 30 amp plug and made due for the evening
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by royals1212 View Post
If you have a 30 amp dog try switching to the 30 amp service. That would tell you if the L1 line is passing power through the transfer switch.

I was staying at park last Saturday and my 50 amp service was acting up. Checked with multi meter read 121 & 122 but my surge protector would shut it down with a load was put on it. All ok on generator, switch to 30 amp plug and made due for the evening
No 30amp plug in box. Just 50amp and 20
Old 12-03-2016, 10:31 AM   #14

Update on the issue.

Checked for loose connections and found several but it didn't fix the issue. I swapped the shore power side to the generator side and we now have shore power again. At least this buys me time to get a replacement ordered.

Thanks for the help trouble shooting this issue. Much appreciated.

Tags
switch, transfer switch