Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2022, 08:00 AM   #1

Transfer switch issue

Hello all, I seem to have a transfer switch issue with our 2018 Entegra Anthem. On a recent trip, I plugged into shore power, and got a transfer switch fault. I moved the coach to another power box, and the issue went away. I stored the coach, however neglected to turn off the inverters, and drained the house batteries. I ran the generator to recharge the batteries per Entegra support, but now I'm getting a transfer switch fault on the Vegatouch. I checked the circuit breaker on the generator, and it's not tripped. The generator seems to power the coach (runs the roof AC's, etc), but the transfer switch fault (red light FAULT) message still appears. I reset the 12V system, and the fault disappears. Upon plugging the coach into a 50A post, the fault reappears, and nothing in the coach (110V) works. The panel says Transfer Delay first, and the goes to FAULT. Any ideas? I would think if the line voltage from the generator was out of spec, it would trigger the transfer switch fault, but I'm thinking it would be highly improbable that both the generator , and the shore power are out of spec. I can only surmise that the transfer switch has failed. Any ideas? Thoughts? Helpful hints? Lastly, if the transfer switch needs replaced, is this a DIY job, or better left to a professional? Thanks, David Price
Gowenfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2022, 04:38 PM   #2

How competent are you when it comes to the electro-mechanical aspects of an electrical system?

I would be disconnecting all power to the coach first.

Then open up the transfer switch and look for signs of overheating of wires/connections, and then tighten every connection inside the box.
If nothing found, the close it up and move to the main breaker box/panel. Do the same as above.

Then, closely inspect the shore power plug for discoloration and overheating of the blades.

Take good pictures of what you see and post here if nothing stands out as being at fault.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:13 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have not worked on a transfer switch on an Entegra. I had the transfer switch fail on my old Monaco coach. I could see where it was burned. It was not that bad of a job on that coach to remove and replace. As stated I did it will all power off and disconnected.

Every since then I try to not switch when under load. At least when I can control it. If I have my generator running when I park i shut down all air conditioners or any load I can before I kill the generator. And then I connect to shore power and gradually bring on loads. Same process when I unhook shore power. I know you do not have to but the less load on the transfer switch when it is switching the better. And the less power removal from a running device the better.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:10 AM   #4

helpful hints

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
How competent are you when it comes to the electro-mechanical aspects of an electrical system?

I would be disconnecting all power to the coach first.

Then open up the transfer switch and look for signs of overheating of wires/connections, and then tighten every connection inside the box.
If nothing found, the close it up and move to the main breaker box/panel. Do the same as above.

Then, closely inspect the shore power plug for discoloration and overheating of the blades.

Take good pictures of what you see and post here if nothing stands out as being at fault.
Thanks, I will take pictures and post them. by the main breakers, are you referring to the 2 100A switches in the last right rear panel?
Old 08-17-2022, 12:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowenfast View Post
Thanks, I will take pictures and post them. by the main breakers, are you referring to the 2 100A switches in the last right rear panel?
Transfer switches usually will have 3 heavy cables connected - shore line tether, generator “tether” (usually in conduit but could be tether like permanently connected), and the output of the transfer switch that feeds the coach’s breaker panel - usually looks very similar to a household breaker panel. There should be a number of breakers in that panel.
You want to remove the cover from that panel, as well as the transfer switch panel (after you’ve removed power from the coach) and inspect.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:37 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Jinxed!!!

All this talk about transfer switches and, wouldn't you know it...mine gave me a fault when I connected power at a new location just a few minutes ago.

Plugged into a 50amp service and the fault occurred.

Started the generator and power transferred to the generator. No fault.

Ran the generator for a few minutes and then shut it down. I still had the shore power connected and the transfer fault re-occurred.

Turned off the pedestal breaker and then turned it back on. Transfer fault re-occurred.

Thru this whole process, the shore power from the pedestal showed as good (volts/freqs).

I disconnected the 50amp cord and plugged in the 30amp adapter and plugged into the 30amp outlet. All good. The expected 'heavy' clunk as the transfer switch connected. No transfer fault. Ran two air conditioners to cool the coach for about 10 minutes.

Shut down all electric loads and disconnected from the 30amp outlet.

Plugged into the 50amp outlet, reset the pedestal breaker and the transfer switch connected. 'Heavy' clunk and no faults. All good.

So, a relatively simple process that might work to free a sticking transfer relay.

It worked for me. Still, I think I'll start shopping for a replacement transfer relay...just in case.

Take care,
Stu
Old 08-17-2022, 03:49 PM   #7

Many of the newer coaches use a combined surge protector and transfer switch, eg, SurgeGuard units. Curious, are you getting an actual "transfer switch" fault? Do the faults differentiate between surge protector [voltage, current, polarity, etc] and transfer switch faults?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 04:06 PM   #8

I think it’s important to know for either the OP’s or 777_Drivers situations - are the transfer switches in your coaches the combined transfer/EMS/surge protection, or, is there an EMS separate from the transfer switch, and does the transfer switch have surge protection.

And then if there are lights - are the lights relevant to the transfer switch or the EMS or the surge protection (if surge protection, those are more like fuses and are “one-shot” devices, so if they have a fail light, they must be replaced to get the light to go out).
Old 08-17-2022, 10:44 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Transfer switches are electro mechanical devices that can fail during changeover. Not fail completely but just fail to lock in. I had it happen on my old coach several times. The new coach it happened once. When it failed to fully switch over, the transfer switch was actually buzzing loudly.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Many of the newer coaches use a combined surge protector and transfer switch, eg, SurgeGuard units. Curious, are you getting an actual "transfer switch" fault? Do the faults differentiate between surge protector [voltage, current, polarity, etc] and transfer switch faults?
The Vega touch says "transfer switch" fault. You touch that. and the explanation says "surge protection". I get a red FAULT on the top right side of the VT when trying to transfer from generator to shore, etc. Thoughts?
Old 08-18-2022, 10:29 AM   #11

Quote:
The Vega touch says "transfer switch" fault. You touch that. and the explanation says "surge protection". I get a red FAULT on the top right side of the VT when trying to transfer from generator to shore, etc. Thoughts?
Post make and model of the transfer switch/surge protector for better advice.

I see good advice posted above, but there are lots of possible issues.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 11:44 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I've installed a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C (https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw50c) in line between the power cord reel and the transfer switch. It checks volts/freqs before passing power to the transfer switch. The pedestal power was good (volts/freqs) before it reached the transfer switch. I did not pursue any VegaTouch troubleshooting beyond observing the transfer switch fault.

Have you tried using a 30 amp adapter to try to connect to the 30 amp outlet on the pedestal? On mine, by doing that, the transfer switch now seems to be working fine (multiple power on/off cycles) on the 50 amp connection. It appears that mine was just a sticking mechanical portion of the relay. At $920 for a replacement, I'm not currently inclined to order a replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Post make and model of the transfer switch/surge protector for better advice.
The OP stated an '18 Entegra Anthem. On my '18 Entegra Anthem, the OEM installed transfer switch is a Surge Guard Model: 40350RVC (www.SurgeGuard.com marketed by Southwire Company, Clearwater, FL). It's a transfer switch with added surge/volts/freqs protection that connects to the coach control system (VegaTouch) via a RV-C data connection.

Take care,
Stu
Old 08-19-2022, 04:03 AM   #13

Quote:
My 2017 has that fault per conversation with southwire the unit needs replaced. I have not done that yet due to cost I run a pedestal surge protector, still need to open up the unit and inspect it but pretty sure it needs replaced.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 05:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
My 2017 has that fault per conversation with southwire the unit needs replaced. I have not done that yet due to cost I run a pedestal surge protector, still need to open up the unit and inspect it but pretty sure it needs replaced.
Did power come into your coach when the transfer switch failed, or just show Fault? Am I to assume that the external surge protector you are now using basically takes the place of the transfer switch, by regulating the power? What about when you are using the generator? Do you still get a Fault? Thanks, David

Tags
switch, transfer switch