RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2020, 08:17 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Travel Duration

How many miles do you travel on a daily basis?
We are thinking something in the 300-350 miles a day.
Not cool with running after dark unless were forced to.
Whats your plans look like?

Tlmr4784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2020, 08:20 PM   #2

Totally depends on if I have somewhere to be. 5-600 Usually. 800-1,000 if I need to get some where. These things have pretty good headlights, so traveling after dark isnít bad. And the traffic is generally lighter.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:34 PM   #3

We usually plan for 200/300 mile travel days with a couple of days extra on both ends to allow for weather/repair delays. I will monitor the weather 2-3 days out and make adjustments if needed.
I don't like towing at night, changing a tire by flashlight one time will cure that adventure idea.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:36 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
300 average. As long as I am parked by Happy Hour, I'm good.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:40 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
We drive about 62-65mph, and, with a stop for fuel and lunch, it works out to about 50mph average. Makes it easy to calculate. We typically stop for fuel at 1/2 a tank.

We usually end up leaving the CG around 9 or 10am, and we like to be at the new spot about an hour before sunset. We shoot for 300-350 mile days as a max. My record is just shy of 400, but it was tough.

The "hour before sunset" gives you a little wiggle room--it doesn't get really dark until maybe 45 min after sunset.

Driving at night is great. The problem is getting to an unfamiliar CG in the dark. That can be frustrating. Getting a pull-through space helps if you're arriving in the dark.

The Anthem is way easier to drive than my old rig (2006 Monaco Dip). Takes a lot of the effort out. Love that tag axle. And the quiet.

But still--these things are not like driving cars. More effort and more fatigue.
bsaldeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:51 PM   #6

If we're just traveling and not seeing sights, we'll usually run 600-750 miles a day. Two drivers running 2-3 hour shifts in the driver seat while the other person naps on the couch. We'll run that way from Delaware to Valdez, AK, about 7 to 8 days. Nine round trips so far.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:05 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Divingbiker Send a message via Yahoo to Divingbiker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwdr Extreme View Post
Totally depends on if I have somewhere to be. 5-600 Usually. 800-1,000 if I need to get some where. These things have pretty good headlights, so traveling after dark isnít bad. And the traffic is generally lighter.
This is exactly the time and distance we travel when we have to get somewhere. We are still several years from retirement so unfortunately our travel time is limited. I prefer to push and get to our intended destination and then kick back.

I don't see the long travel days as a hardship but rather enjoy the time behind the wheel. My wife refers to my time at the wheel as "the big sit"......
Old 01-11-2020, 10:29 PM   #8

400-500 miles is a typical good day. Never plan to drive until after dark unless it is someplace that I know very well, like my home or an overnight spot that I have used frequently before. Also. never enter an RV park after dark if at all possible. Otherwise, we are "in" wherever we are going to spend the night by dusk. That is a longer day in summer and shorter in winter.

Driving at night is not difficult when you know where you are going and what you are going to encounter.... if you don't, then dont arrive at night IMO

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:48 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
We do about 300 to 350 on average then pull into a Walmart when we are traveling. Never drive at night. We usually leave about 7 am and park by 2:30
Old 01-12-2020, 07:10 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Another factor to consider is whether you have help. As someone wrote, they have dual drivers, but even if both donít drive, the help can be in making lunch, navigating, keeping the driver awake, etc. Another factor is equipment. When I was driving a smaller RV it was much more tiring. I donít know how the OPs Vision compares but I expect it to be more work than a Cornerstone, for example. Another equipment issue is towing. When Iím not towing I can pass more frequently and have more parking options for quick stops. Also important is where you are driving. In heavy traffic areas or through mountains it will be slower going than the wide open flatlands out west.

As a solo driver I routinely go 450 and once made a mistake and stupidly went 710 from MT to NV. But as others have said, going into unfamiliar places, especially campgrounds, is no fun.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:29 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Solo driver here as well. I have driven over 600 on occasion, but much prefer 300-450 max. The best is when the itinerary calls for 200 or less. Never at night.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:14 AM   #12

We share the driving on a lot of the trips. Our question always is how much are we going to miss with the long drive. Driving at night is not a problem, but there does seem to be more road debris lately, and deer at odd hours. We like to run 600-650 as a relaxing drive. Sometimes the weather and traffic just does not cooperate, we stop rather than rush and just take a day off the back end.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlmr4784 View Post
How many miles do you travel on a daily basis?
We are thinking something in the 300-350 miles a day.
Not cool with running after dark unless were forced to.
What's your plans look like?
Sounds like a good Plan.

But who Plans

Think it all depends - I love to drive - I love to Be THERE - so usually it will depend on where There Is. -

Couple of personal Notes - DW like to do her thing in the AM - so - we seldom leave before she has done Her Thing - - I Never leave a CG early and disturb my Neighbors - - also I never Come in LATE and Disturb my Neighbors - - I have no issue staying in a Wal*Mart when traveling from A to B -

Last - as we usually, on the longer runs, are headed West to see the Granddaughters or East to see the Granddaughters - I can always feel that pulling thing you have when you are doing that sort of thing, so once again it all depends.

Summation - usually no more than 650 (LONG DAY) or less than 150 as we have and often will drive the toad out in all directions well over a 100 miles so we need to be in a new spot.

Just another way to look at it,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:01 AM   #14

Weíve been averaging 300-350 miles. Like earlier poster, we try to average around 63mph. I am comfortable with that speed with this coach. With rest stops, fueling, thrown in, we probably are closer to 50mph ave.
So, itís easy to calculate how far we can get in a day.
Avoiding night driving and late arrivals as much as possible but stuff happens. Dealing with issues is safer during daylight hours.

2017 Jeep JKU
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel