Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2016, 06:50 AM   #1

Travel Route Question

We're picking up our Anthem next week and will be making our way home. Home is Massachusetts and we're looking to avoid taking the coach 95 north all the way home.

So, our plan is to go 95 north to Virginia and cut west on rte 64, then 81 north to 78 east and home.

Question - How is rte 64 west out of Richmond to rte 81 north? Will I be white knuckling the ride? This is our first time driving a diesel 45' rig so I don't want to scare the bride too much.....

Thanks,
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2016, 07:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
We're picking up our Anthem next week and will be making our way home. Home is Massachusetts and we're looking to avoid taking the coach 95 north all the way home.

So, our plan is to go 95 north to Virginia and cut west on rte 64, then 81 north to 78 east and home.

Question - How is rte 64 west out of Richmond to rte 81 north? Will I be white knuckling the ride? This is our first time driving a diesel 45' rig so I don't want to scare the bride too much.....

Thanks,
I think you'll be fine. I took that route a few years ago. I think it is a good idea to leave I-95 before the northeast corridor. We unhitched the toad around the CT boarder and drove it to Boston and the Cape.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:29 AM   #3

Thanks Bob -

I didn't think it would be a problem since it's a major route, but I wanted to confirm this incase there's something I needed to be aware of.

Thanks,
Old 04-20-2016, 08:30 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
We have been traveling from FL to MA forever! We always leave I/95 ASAP which is I/26 in SC which we take to I/77 to I/81 then to I/84 or to I/78 (if the weather is threatening).
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:06 AM   #5

A side issue....... Do you need an EZ Pass for the coach? You can't use a car EZ Pass as you will be charged "semi truck" rates (if you are pulling a toad (5 axles)). Maybe you'll pay cash if you encounter tolls. If you need an EZ-Pass specifically for the coach, consider the Indiana I-Pass. We used it extensively last fall with an auto-refill capability. We liked it. Also, don't mount a transponder up at the top behind the sun shade at the top...... Place it down at bottom or 5 or 6" below the top.

And brace yourself for some of those tolls up North.... We southerners are not used to having to pay for roads and bridges beyond all the taxes I thought paid for such things already.

Have fun!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
We have been traveling from FL to MA forever! We always leave I/95 ASAP which is I/26 in SC which we take to I/77 to I/81 then to I/84 or to I/78 (if the weather is threatening).
Thanks, we've looked at this route and would love to take it, but we're looking for the most direct route because we need to get home. By most direct route, this does not include rte 95N.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
A side issue....... Do you need an EZ Pass for the coach? You can't use a car EZ Pass as you will be charged "semi truck" rates (if you are pulling a toad (5 axles)). Maybe you'll pay cash if you encounter tolls. If you need an EZ-Pass specifically for the coach, consider the Indiana I-Pass. We used it extensively last fall with an auto-refill capability. We liked it. Also, don't mount a transponder up at the top behind the sun shade at the top...... Place it down at bottom or 5 or 6" below the top.

And brace yourself for some of those tolls up North.... We southerners are not used to having to pay for roads and bridges beyond all the taxes I thought paid for such things already.

Have fun!

Gary
Hi Gary,

No EZ Pass here. And yes, we know about the tolls and this is why we're going to beat feet out of the northeast at the end of August. We've paid a lot of tolls up here over the years and are tired of it. Our plans won't bring us back to the northeast for 2 to 3 years, unless something brings us back.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:35 PM   #8

Flanz,

This our preferred route after many years of Mass to Fl.

I95 N. exit in Fredericksburg, Va onto Rte 17 to I66 N to I81 N to Harrisburg. Pa

You now have a choice: continue on I81 to Scranton to I84 ( not our choice )

If you choose I78 CABELLA's on the hill is safe, secure & dump station.

Our preferred : at Harrisburg take I78 E to I 287 N to I 87 N to I84 ( Newburg-Beacon Bridge ) to I 90 in Sturbridge, Ma.

Hope this helps if any other questions PM me if you want.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
Flanz,

I95 N. exit in Fredericksburg, Va onto Rte 17 to I66 N to I81 N to Harrisburg. Pa

Our preferred : at Harrisburg take I78 E to I 287 N to I 87 N to I84 ( Newburg-Beacon Bridge ) to I 90 in Sturbridge, Ma.

Definitely helps. I like the stop at Cabella's. How's rte 17 for a 45' coach? As for I90, figured it would cost us a fortune to travel the mass pike with the 45 footer and a vehicle in tow. That's why I was going to pay the toll for the tappen zee bridge and then 95N the rest of the way.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:06 PM   #10

Quote:
As for I90, figured it would cost us a fortune to travel the mass pike with the 45 footer and a vehicle in tow. That's why I was going to pay the toll for the tappen zee bridge and then 95N the rest of the way.
MassPike July 10, 2015 tag axle coach plus 2 axle tow car

Enter at plaza 1, exit at plaza 11A (495 to Maine) $13.20

I don't have the I87/NYS Thruway tolls, unfortunately, since we have a NY Thruway "Motorhome discount plan" EZ-Pass.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Definitely helps. I like the stop at Cabella's. How's rte 17 for a 45' coach? As for I90, figured it would cost us a fortune to travel the mass pike with the 45 footer and a vehicle in tow. That's why I was going to pay the toll for the tappen zee bridge and then 95N the rest of the way.

Route 17 is somewhat hilly for a short time but a nice ride. I use the jake brake in the low setting and she just rolls along. Took it about three weeks ago. There was some construction going on a short distance when leaving 95. If it still is stay in the left lane through the construction. The paving on the right lane is raised a little. You will hit a flying J once on 81 if you need to stop and fuel up.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:50 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
Flanz,

X2 on this route. We use it all the time. As for RT 17, no issues. We came thru with the boat 4 weeks ago.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1461203407.071156.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	124765
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:00 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
X3 on the Rt. 17 route through VA. We drive back and forth from NJ to FL at least 6 times a year in a 40' coach with a toad and take this route.

We've been skipping I-66 and staying on Rt. 17 all the way to Rt. 50 in Paris, VA. Make a left and 50 takes you right to I-81 while cutting off some miles from the I-66 route.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Flanz,
Rte 17 is fine for a 45' a little congested 1st couple of miles off I 95 w/tractor trailer traffic cutting over also & hills are no problem. Several truck stops for fuel if needed & a roadside barbecue at 1 of them !

We find I95 thru Ct. to be in terrible condition and will rattle your teeth.

If you decide on the TP Bridge I would take 684 N to 84 E.

We also depending on day of week & traffic will stay on I 87 N to bypass to I90 ( south of Albany ) and take I 90 E all the way. Not that toll costly and MUCH LESS traffic then either Rte thru Ct.

Regarding EZPASS : yes we have a Mass. issued RV specific ( 5 axles ) in the coach & remove the one from toad while towing.

If you don't mind: where in Mass ? We'll be back visiting our families in Westborough in about a month.

Tags
travel