Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-20-2016, 06:50 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Flanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,095
Travel Route Question

We're picking up our Anthem next week and will be making our way home. Home is Massachusetts and we're looking to avoid taking the coach 95 north all the way home.

So, our plan is to go 95 north to Virginia and cut west on rte 64, then 81 north to 78 east and home.

Question - How is rte 64 west out of Richmond to rte 81 north? Will I be white knuckling the ride? This is our first time driving a diesel 45' rig so I don't want to scare the bride too much.....

Thanks,
__________________
Paul and Diane
2017 Entegra Anthem 44B
05 Toyota Tacoma- 19 Harley-Davidson Roadglide Ultra
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2016, 07:18 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
hawgguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: College Station, Texas
Posts: 2,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
We're picking up our Anthem next week and will be making our way home. Home is Massachusetts and we're looking to avoid taking the coach 95 north all the way home.

So, our plan is to go 95 north to Virginia and cut west on rte 64, then 81 north to 78 east and home.

Question - How is rte 64 west out of Richmond to rte 81 north? Will I be white knuckling the ride? This is our first time driving a diesel 45' rig so I don't want to scare the bride too much.....

Thanks,
I think you'll be fine. I took that route a few years ago. I think it is a good idea to leave I-95 before the northeast corridor. We unhitched the toad around the CT boarder and drove it to Boston and the Cape.
__________________
Bob in College Station, TX
2015 Entegra Cornerstone 45K
2012 Jeep Rubicon, 1994 FXLR
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:29 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Flanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,095
Thanks Bob -

I didn't think it would be a problem since it's a major route, but I wanted to confirm this incase there's something I needed to be aware of.

Thanks,
__________________
Paul and Diane
2017 Entegra Anthem 44B
05 Toyota Tacoma- 19 Harley-Davidson Roadglide Ultra
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:30 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Cousin Ed's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 1,618
We have been traveling from FL to MA forever! We always leave I/95 ASAP which is I/26 in SC which we take to I/77 to I/81 then to I/84 or to I/78 (if the weather is threatening).
__________________
Jeanie, Ed & Slade the GSD
Cape Cod, MA
2017 Entegra Aspire RBQ & Sierra Crew
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:06 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Gary.Jones's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 10,530
Blog Entries: 1
A side issue....... Do you need an EZ Pass for the coach? You can't use a car EZ Pass as you will be charged "semi truck" rates (if you are pulling a toad (5 axles)). Maybe you'll pay cash if you encounter tolls. If you need an EZ-Pass specifically for the coach, consider the Indiana I-Pass. We used it extensively last fall with an auto-refill capability. We liked it. Also, don't mount a transponder up at the top behind the sun shade at the top...... Place it down at bottom or 5 or 6" below the top.

And brace yourself for some of those tolls up North.... We southerners are not used to having to pay for roads and bridges beyond all the taxes I thought paid for such things already.

Have fun!

Gary
__________________
Gary and Dee, Zowie and Bowie (traveling cat sibs)
2019 Cornerstone 45B, X15-605hp, Imperial, Spartan K3,
2013 Honda CR-V toad, Demco Excali-Bar II,
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:38 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Flanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
We have been traveling from FL to MA forever! We always leave I/95 ASAP which is I/26 in SC which we take to I/77 to I/81 then to I/84 or to I/78 (if the weather is threatening).
Thanks, we've looked at this route and would love to take it, but we're looking for the most direct route because we need to get home. By most direct route, this does not include rte 95N.
__________________
Paul and Diane
2017 Entegra Anthem 44B
05 Toyota Tacoma- 19 Harley-Davidson Roadglide Ultra
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:43 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Flanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
A side issue....... Do you need an EZ Pass for the coach? You can't use a car EZ Pass as you will be charged "semi truck" rates (if you are pulling a toad (5 axles)). Maybe you'll pay cash if you encounter tolls. If you need an EZ-Pass specifically for the coach, consider the Indiana I-Pass. We used it extensively last fall with an auto-refill capability. We liked it. Also, don't mount a transponder up at the top behind the sun shade at the top...... Place it down at bottom or 5 or 6" below the top.

And brace yourself for some of those tolls up North.... We southerners are not used to having to pay for roads and bridges beyond all the taxes I thought paid for such things already.

Have fun!

Gary
Hi Gary,

No EZ Pass here. And yes, we know about the tolls and this is why we're going to beat feet out of the northeast at the end of August. We've paid a lot of tolls up here over the years and are tired of it. Our plans won't bring us back to the northeast for 2 to 3 years, unless something brings us back.
__________________
Paul and Diane
2017 Entegra Anthem 44B
05 Toyota Tacoma- 19 Harley-Davidson Roadglide Ultra
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:35 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Hayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Warren , Me
Posts: 1,407
Flanz,

This our preferred route after many years of Mass to Fl.

I95 N. exit in Fredericksburg, Va onto Rte 17 to I66 N to I81 N to Harrisburg. Pa

You now have a choice: continue on I81 to Scranton to I84 ( not our choice )

If you choose I78 CABELLA's on the hill is safe, secure & dump station.

Our preferred : at Harrisburg take I78 E to I 287 N to I 87 N to I84 ( Newburg-Beacon Bridge ) to I 90 in Sturbridge, Ma.

Hope this helps if any other questions PM me if you want.
__________________
Sue & Brian Ashworth & Rizzy( adopted Boxer)
2016 Anthem 44A, 2018 GMC Canyon Denali,
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Flanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
Flanz,

This our preferred route after many years of Mass to Fl.

I95 N. exit in Fredericksburg, Va onto Rte 17 to I66 N to I81 N to Harrisburg. Pa

You now have a choice: continue on I81 to Scranton to I84 ( not our choice )

If you choose I78 CABELLA's on the hill is safe, secure & dump station.

Our preferred : at Harrisburg take I78 E to I 287 N to I 87 N to I84 ( Newburg-Beacon Bridge ) to I 90 in Sturbridge, Ma.

Hope this helps if any other questions PM me if you want.
Definitely helps. I like the stop at Cabella's. How's rte 17 for a 45' coach? As for I90, figured it would cost us a fortune to travel the mass pike with the 45 footer and a vehicle in tow. That's why I was going to pay the toll for the tappen zee bridge and then 95N the rest of the way.
__________________
Paul and Diane
2017 Entegra Anthem 44B
05 Toyota Tacoma- 19 Harley-Davidson Roadglide Ultra
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:06 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
As for I90, figured it would cost us a fortune to travel the mass pike with the 45 footer and a vehicle in tow. That's why I was going to pay the toll for the tappen zee bridge and then 95N the rest of the way.
MassPike July 10, 2015 tag axle coach plus 2 axle tow car

Enter at plaza 1, exit at plaza 11A (495 to Maine) $13.20

I don't have the I87/NYS Thruway tolls, unfortunately, since we have a NY Thruway "Motorhome discount plan" EZ-Pass.
__________________
2017 LTV Unity U24CB
2003 Foretravel U320
1999 Lazy Daze 30IB
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:22 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Dieselgem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA & FL
Posts: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
Definitely helps. I like the stop at Cabella's. How's rte 17 for a 45' coach? As for I90, figured it would cost us a fortune to travel the mass pike with the 45 footer and a vehicle in tow. That's why I was going to pay the toll for the tappen zee bridge and then 95N the rest of the way.

Route 17 is somewhat hilly for a short time but a nice ride. I use the jake brake in the low setting and she just rolls along. Took it about three weeks ago. There was some construction going on a short distance when leaving 95. If it still is stay in the left lane through the construction. The paving on the right lane is raised a little. You will hit a flying J once on 81 if you need to stop and fuel up.
__________________
2015 Cornerstone (Classic) 45B Topaz
2017 JKU Rubicon
Dieselgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:50 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
ejm4's Avatar
 
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
Flanz,

This our preferred route after many years of Mass to Fl.

I95 N. exit in Fredericksburg, Va onto Rte 17 to I66 N to I81 N to Harrisburg. Pa

You now have a choice: continue on I81 to Scranton to I84 ( not our choice )

If you choose I78 CABELLA's on the hill is safe, secure & dump station.

Our preferred : at Harrisburg take I78 E to I 287 N to I 87 N to I84 ( Newburg-Beacon Bridge ) to I 90 in Sturbridge, Ma.

Hope this helps if any other questions PM me if you want.

X2 on this route. We use it all the time. As for RT 17, no issues. We came thru with the boat 4 weeks ago.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1461203407.071156.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	124765
__________________
Earl
2013 Berkshire 390BH 360
My Albums
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:00 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
RVThere's Avatar
 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida Keys
Posts: 2,681
X3 on the Rt. 17 route through VA. We drive back and forth from NJ to FL at least 6 times a year in a 40' coach with a toad and take this route.

We've been skipping I-66 and staying on Rt. 17 all the way to Rt. 50 in Paris, VA. Make a left and 50 takes you right to I-81 while cutting off some miles from the I-66 route.
__________________
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
'17 Winnebago View 24V, '02 R-Vision B+
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:27 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Hayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Warren , Me
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
Definitely helps. I like the stop at Cabella's. How's rte 17 for a 45' coach? As for I90, figured it would cost us a fortune to travel the mass pike with the 45 footer and a vehicle in tow. That's why I was going to pay the toll for the tappen zee bridge and then 95N the rest of the way.
Flanz,
Rte 17 is fine for a 45' a little congested 1st couple of miles off I 95 w/tractor trailer traffic cutting over also & hills are no problem. Several truck stops for fuel if needed & a roadside barbecue at 1 of them !

We find I95 thru Ct. to be in terrible condition and will rattle your teeth.

If you decide on the TP Bridge I would take 684 N to 84 E.

We also depending on day of week & traffic will stay on I 87 N to bypass to I90 ( south of Albany ) and take I 90 E all the way. Not that toll costly and MUCH LESS traffic then either Rte thru Ct.

Regarding EZPASS : yes we have a Mass. issued RV specific ( 5 axles ) in the coach & remove the one from toad while towing.

If you don't mind: where in Mass ? We'll be back visiting our families in Westborough in about a month.
__________________
Sue & Brian Ashworth & Rizzy( adopted Boxer)
2016 Anthem 44A, 2018 GMC Canyon Denali,
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
travel



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Route 26 from Asheville, NC to Route 81 in Kingsport, TN vettenuts Navigation, Routes & Roads 6 06-04-2015 12:39 AM
Ohio Route 7 v. Route 2 Oldrtrcr Navigation, Routes & Roads 1 11-01-2013 07:39 PM
Illinois route 1 vs Indiana Route 41/63 rvguy02 Navigation, Routes & Roads 3 11-28-2012 07:37 AM
Best Route from Norfolk Va. to Route 96 in North Carolina richh1 Navigation, Routes & Roads 4 01-21-2012 03:13 PM
Route 4 VT to Route 2 NH to 1A to Maine heyduke Navigation, Routes & Roads 1 08-16-2011 04:05 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.