Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2021, 01:27 PM   #1

Traveling and my Samsung residential refrigerator

We are about to leave for a 5 hour trip to our next stay. What should I do with my residential refrigerator that is full of food? Right now I'm plugged in to 50 amp and have fully charged batteries and generator is on manual. Will my batteries run my fridge while I'm driving of do I need to set up my generator?
Brand new to this rv lifestyle so I could use your help!
Thank you in advance!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2021, 01:39 PM   #2

Your coach is an Aspire so you probably have half the battery bank of an Anthem or Cornerstone, but you should have no trouble while traveling. You should have a 125 to 200 amp alternator in your coach that is more than able to supply any of the 12 volts that you need for the coach while traveling. Some of that amperage is going into the Magnum inverters which is supplying 120 VAC to your refrigerators and the motor alternator alone will easily supply all the voltage your inverters need to power all the basic appliances in your coach while traveling.

The only time that you need to have the generator running while traveling is probably if you were in any of the southern states during the hot summer months and your dash AC cannot keep up with the heat and you want to run the roof AC units while traveling.... The Cummins engine alternator is not able to handle the loads of three AC units, and if you want all three of them running or even two, you would want to consider running your genny to deal with their high need for amperage/power.

If you are traveling 80% of the day moving down the road, you should not even need to worry about running the microwave plus the refrigerator and any other odd 120 volt appliance for short periods of time (maybe a half hour or less of microwave use) even with the engine is not running and if you leave the Cummins running, it is supplying lots of amps while you eat lunch. After a long day of travel, you should be able to run the genny a few hours before you go to bed at night if you might be boondocking in a WalMart type place, let the refer run all night, and should be OK. Of course, set your AGS (automatic Generator Start) to start at 12.1 volts and let it run for 2 hours (its normal run time on AGS) and you should easily make it through the night. I then run my genny in the morning for ~ 2 hours to recharge the battery power consumed over night (and that is even while running down the road).

Your BIM switch will always take care of your house battery bank recharging first before it worries about your engine start batteries. If your chassis (engine start) batteries are above 12.6, then the BIM will default to recharging your house batteries.... Every hour or two it will go back to check on the chassis batteries and if they are still in good shape, then the BIM will go back to charging house batteries. But if boondocking over night has heavily discharged my batteries, I will run the generator for an hour or so while traveling as the generator will put a much higher current to the Magnums to recharge the house bank more quickly.

We do this all the time. Now, we probably have twice the batteries in our coach that you do in the Aspire, but you should still have no trouble if you set the AGS to >= 12.1 volts before going to bed (while boondocking).

Gary
-
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:25 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Turn the inverter on, batteries will charge while driving, refrigerator will continue to run. The inverter changes 12v battery power to 110v residential power.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:52 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
What brobox said. The only time you will need your generator on the road would be if you wanted to run A/C or heat pumps while driving. If you stop at a Walmart or rest area for an overnight, use your AGS if you donít want the generator to run constantly. Unless you added extra batteries to your Aspire, you could - thatís could, not will - draw your batteries down too far on an overnight. We have extra batteries and still make sure the AGS is on when overnighting without power.
hdgoldie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:18 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
These guys nailed it. You will have the hang of RVing before you know it.

I made my first run of the year today. About 8 hours.
One of the last things I did at home was unplug my AC power from the coach.

Your coach will generate AC power without the generator running via your inverters when you have the engine running.

About the only thing I run the generator for on a trip is air conditioning.

One of the first things I did when I parked at the campground today was plug up power.

You can check that your fridge has power when driving by seeing if the light is on.

Enjoy the RV.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:33 PM   #6

Ent16Aspire

Be sure and come back on here and tell us how you did and what you learned in your maiden voyage.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, residential refrigerator, travel