Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2016, 11:51 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Traveling in the western half - any areas/campgrounds we should not miss?

I'm starting to plan a western trip for us next year and I know there are several experts in this forum. Are there campgrounds/parks/roads we should not miss? Any that we should avoid? I've been out west several times, but never in a coach. This will be Rick's first trip through many of these areas. Any tips you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I know it's important to get a route planned early so that we can get reservations made. We were planning on spending about two months on the trip, so feel free to offer any and all areas you think need to see. We plan on hitting the major parks - Yellowstone, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons (obviously not in that order). We heard about a place called Snow Canyon from another camper - anyone been there? Because of our size, we are thinking that we will need to aim primarily towards private campgrounds. Is that a reasonable assumption?
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2016, 12:29 PM   #2

You may also consider going to Custer State Park and see Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse which are both nearby.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:49 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3055.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	558.3 KB
ID:	134521
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgoldie View Post
I'm starting to plan a western trip for us next year and I know there are several experts in this forum. Are there campgrounds/parks/roads we should not miss? Any that we should avoid? I've been out west several times, but never in a coach. This will be Rick's first trip through many of these areas. Any tips you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I know it's important to get a route planned early so that we can get reservations made. We were planning on spending about two months on the trip, so feel free to offer any and all areas you think need to see. We plan on hitting the major parks - Yellowstone, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons (obviously not in that order). We heard about a place called Snow Canyon from another camper - anyone been there? Because of our size, we are thinking that we will need to aim primarily towards private campgrounds. Is that a reasonable assumption?
We prefer State and NP's. We have fit our 45' in Watchman Campground in Zion. There are a few sites that can accomodate large rigs with reservations of course. One of our all time favorites is near Bryce Canyon, Kodachrome Basin State Park. They have a dozen or so with 50A FHU.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3092.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	681.4 KB
ID:	134522  
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:19 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Grand Teton NP is awesome, and the place to stay there is Colter Bay Village RV Park. This is a National Park campground that sells out many months ahead of time, so make your reservation early (now would be a good time.) From this campground you can visit the Grand Teton National Park, Jackson Hole, and parts of Yellowstone National Park.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Western United States has many states. Name a couple you'd like to see.

About how long will your trip be and approximately what dates?

There are problems in certain states on certain dates...Oregon and California coastal RV parks are usually full. Any place in Los Angeles or San Diego is usually booked by then.

Last week in SLC is booked due to Pioneer Days, 4th of July anywhere is booked.

I live in Central California. Triple digit temperatures in July and August. Do you like heat? 115 in Las Vegas and Phoenix is normal everyday during the summer.

So perhaps you could prioritize what states you'd like to see.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Places we've been to and are on our A list are Custer State Park (Black Hills), Little Bighorn Battlefield (Seventh Ranch Campground - Garyowen), Red Lodge (MT - Beartooth Mountains day trips), Yellowstone (Grizzly RV - West Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain RV - Gardiner), Grand Teton (Colter Bay RV or Teton Valley RV in Victor, ID), Moab for the Jeeping (Portal RV), Ouray (Ouray RV Park - Colorado Jeeping), Glacier National Park (St Mary KOA and West Glacier) - and Buffalo, WY (Indian Campground - the base of the Bighorns and Hole in the Wall area. Others are Mesa Verde, CO and Estes Park, CO and Idaho Springs, CO (Mount Evans - stay at Central City KOA).

That's the mountain area but if you want to see the Pacific Northwest there's a whole new crop of places from the redwoods around Eureka, CA up through Anacortes, WA for Orca whale watching.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:37 PM   #7

Mark how hard a drive is it into Ouray RV park? This is on our bucket list.
wracinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:48 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I'm not Mark, but Ouray is easy to get to from the north but very hard to do from the south on US 550. I have driven that route (from Silverton) in the car and I would not do it in a large RV, although some do. If you want to get to Ouray from the south, the route from Cortez via route 145 and route 62 is easy and scenic, and allows for a short stop at Telluride which is very interesting. I say a short stop as sadly, there is no place to overnight a large RV in Telluride.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:27 PM   #9

I would also suggest Watchman in Zion and take the toad to Bryce then take in Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonland national parks from the Moab area. Monument valley is interesting but Mesa in NM is better. If you have not see the north side of Grand Canyon do that from Zion as well. None of these parks are similar but I would suggest a jet boat through Canyonland NP if the weather is OK.
I would stop in Valley of Fire SP in NV about 45 minutes from Vegas. It's stunning and about half of the sites have hookups. Admiral Baker RV is on the beach and is open to the public but you need reservation way in advance. State parks in CA are generally dry camping and designed for small rigs. CRYSTAL COVE SP MORO CAMPGROUND, CA is an exception with hookups. They list 38 feet but my 40 footer fits easy. The Oregon State parks are awesome. Check out Collier SP and drive the toad to Crater Lake NP. Both are awesome. Do the Oregon Coast from North to South and any of the SP are really nice. Of course Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Yosemite, Kings Canyon, oh this list doesn't end... Good luck and have fun.

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:43 PM   #10

Can not say enough good things about the 2 parks we stayed in this summer.

Rafter J Bar jn Hill City, SD is great and convenient to everything. Very clean and beautiful.

Yellowstone's Edge south of Livingston, MT is right on the Yellowstone River. 30 miles from the NW entrance it is awesome.

We will be going back to both of these places in the future. Enjoy your trip.
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:45 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I've done the route a number of times in a 40', 42' and now the 45' coach. Never had any problems but I enjoy mountain drives and don't have any problem handling them or staying in my lane on hairpins. If you get freaked out by steep drop-offs then I wouldn't suggest it. In that case, if you want to come in from the south with the RV and tour the Million Dollar Highway in the toad you can take the San Juan Skyway(CO 145), which runs from Cortex to just north of Ouray. Then head south a bit to Ouray.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:48 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks to all! Hadn't planned on going as far as the coast. I should have been more specific. Sorry. We live in southwest Florida so we're not bothered overmuch by heat. Our plans now call for leaving from a visit in WI early July - after the 4th - and heading west. I was thinking of doing the Black Hills area before August (and getting through Strugis before bike week since we won't have the bikes along) and then heading over to Yellowstone before heading south. I had forgotten about Glacier - which just goes to show how smart asking y'all was - so I think I need to add that to our list. I love Ouray...that is going to be on the list. Rick hasn't seen the area but he's a good driver and very cautious, it's good to know that the approach from the north isn't too bad. I did Highway 550 from the south, on a motorcycle. By the time I got to Ouray I was beyond awestruck. And ticked at all the coaches that were south bound and over the line! I'll leave it to Rick if he wants to try the drive in the coach. I think we'll be fine but he'll get veto power. The coach is his baby...I have to nag to get any time behind the wheel! High Cliff would be a good "finishing" point to the south. We could stay in the four corners area and take the toad. I'll have to look to see where I stayed on the bike trip but it was an easy ride to both High Cliff and the Four Corners marker. I'll read back through to see if there's a campground recommendation there. Am I trying to squeeze too much into two months? Should we make this two trips - one for the northern area and one for the south? We could plan New Mexico, etc. for another year...and maybe work it around the hot air balloon festival. We've still got over a month on the road this year and I'm already getting excited about next year!

Linda & Rick
Lola, Dixie, Sammy & Ellis (barking furbabies)
2013 Entegra Aspire/2014 Jeep GC
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:34 PM   #13

I agree on Ouray but be sure to rent a Jeep and spend at least one day on the old mining roads. Take Imogene pass to Telluride then back over Ophir Pass or Last Dollar Road that crosses the double R Ranch (Ralpf Loren's huge ranch). I have driven 550 from Durango to Silverton to Ouray in six different RV's since 1987 over 50 times. Last two years in the Aspire pulling a long bed F150. It's really not that bad unless you don't care for that sort of thing. Lots of other great places in CO. We also like Rocky Mountain National Park but Ouray is our fav.

Doug
AspireDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:50 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you stay in Durango I'd suggest going to see the Mesa Verde National Park. Some very neat things there.

https://www.nps.gov/MEVE/planyourvisit/index.htm
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, travel