Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2017, 05:22 PM   #1

Trav'ler Canadian option Shaw Canada set up

Hi,

I am looking for advice as to how this system should be connected. In my Coach2017 Anthem 44B) the cable comes in to the cabinet below the main TV through a wall on the left in to a 1 to 2 splitter and from this splitter one coax cable goes to Sat A and one to sat B on back of the PVR Receiver. This doesn't make sense to me as all the literature I see has co ax cables coming direct from the dish to the receiver. So in effect I have the same coax from the dish going to each of Sat A and Sat B. So I am seeking advice from a Canadian owner who has the Shaw Trav'ler sytem installed as to how it was done. I know a splitter is used in US Trav'ler installations and this is noted in the Winegard installation manual for US applications. No mention of a splitter in Canadian applications. When we bought the dealer switched out a US Trav'ler system for the Shaw Canadian Trav'ler option. I am having trouble and am just checking if all is done correctly. If there are Canadian owner viewing who has this option and would be able to take a look and see whether a splitter is used it would be really appreciated.

Any advice appreciated.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2017, 10:13 PM   #2

The Shaw receivers do not work with standard splitters. The PVR will require 2 coax lines from the dish.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:40 AM   #3

Thanks Weirba. Do you have the Trav'ler system installed as a factory option? I am trying to find a Canadian owner with Shaw Trav'ler installed so I can confirm how it is connected.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:55 AM   #4

I installed my own on a 2014 anthem and then swapped it over to our current 2016 anthem. The 2016 cane with a factory installed direct TV travlr, that we then put on our trade. I also recently installed a Shaw travlr on a buddy's 2014 anthem. It is pretty straight forward to get set-up, you just can't use standard splitters with Shaw direct like you can with Direct. As I understand it, Shaw receivers send a small current back up the coax to energize the LNB on the dish and by using standard splitters that current gets messed up.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:07 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Bill,

I have a 2014 44B so not sure if they wire things the same or not but here is what I have on a factory Shaw dish install.

My cable feed also comes in from the side wall and goes to the Winegard splitter. From the splitter one line goes to the main TV and the other goes to the BOMB (box of many buttons). The white panel in the back corner has the U shaped cable and the other cable connection goes to the Sat. receiver and the HDMI goes to the main TV.

I remember a few years ago that Entegra had a few cable connections in the basement ceiling wrong and I had to switch a few around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	156596  

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:26 PM   #6

Thanks guys. This is helpful. I think my system is done wrong. May have something to do with the fact that my coach was origionally done with a DirectTV US Trav'ler. The dealer switched it out to Shaw Canadian. Didn't work. Got to Indianna and Entegra replaced the dish or some other components. Worked a little while then failed. Thought it was Shaw issues but of course they wont service while you are located in US. Got back to Canada and they tell me after troubleshooting that it is a wiring issue. In the middle of all this the Trav'ler stopped locking on and displaying "AZMotor rejected" Winegard determined turret was faulty and sent me a new one. Installed that but still cant get the Trav'ler to lock onto satellites. Still getting same error. As regards the Trav'ler I have switched out the turret to a new one, changed the interface, changed the power supply, ran a new data cable from dish to new interface but still no lick. I believe even when Winegard resolves the Trav'ler issue I will likely still have the connection issues at the receiver due to the fact that the same cable splits into two then both go to the receiver. This doesn't sound like what either of you guys have and is not in conformance with what the installation manual reads so I suspect the install is wrong. Thanks so much for letting me know your setup.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:32 PM   #7

Weirba on the 2014 install you did did you use a pvr receiver and if so did you bring 2 cables from the dish one going to each of sat a and sat b terminals on back of receiver?
Old 03-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #8

757 it sounds like your cable from the roof is going right to the receiver. Do you have a pvr with two sat coax connections on back.? Wondering whether you have anything connected to the second sat coax connection on back of receiver.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2011 View Post
Weirba on the 2014 install you did did you use a pvr receiver and if so did you bring 2 cables from the dish one going to each of sat a and sat b terminals on back of receiver?
Yes, I do have a PVR at the main tv and a receiver at the bedroom. I have 2 separate coax from the travler to the PVR and one running to the receiver.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:09 PM   #10

Thanks for the update. That pretty well confirms what I was thinking and that mine is wired in wrong. This is probably why my Shaw service wont work. Hopefully Winegard will figure out the problem with the Trav'ler. Mine is a bit different because it is integrated with the Bose system but I think I know how to fix. Much appreciated.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:14 PM   #11

Bill, in respect to the coax, a least in my case, the factory installed Direct system had 1 coax connected at the travlr that ran to the basement, where a Direct TV splitter was used to connect all the TV locations in the Coach. If your dealer did not correct that for the shaw set-up then that will be one of your problems. Your coach will be pre-wired with 3 coax cables that will run from the roof down to the basement. Then in the basement you need to splice/connect those to other coax cables that will run to your appropriate Shaw receiver location(s). For the PVR in the main TV area you need a 2nd coax, there are a few ways to do that, in my case I utilized the coax that was pre-wired for the in motion system. It is the same idea, pre-wired during manufacturing with coax running from the roof to the basement then coax running from the basement to each TV area. I identified the one running from the basement to the main TV area and connected that to 1 of the 3 coming down from the travlr. They are all Color coded with a band of colored electrical tape, so you can figure it out. Let me know if you need more help and we can get on the phone that would be easier than typing,
Old 03-31-2017, 03:26 AM   #12

Thanks Weirba. I will have a good review of all cables over the weekend and see if I can see a solution similar to yours. Will update later. One thing I am wondering is where the cables running to and from the loop on the white box ("antenna input to sat receiver" and "output to main tv") are coming from and going to.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2011 View Post
Thanks Weirba. I will have a good review of all cables over the weekend and see if I can see a solution similar to yours. Will update later. One thing I am wondering is where the cables running to and from the loop on the white box ("antenna input to sat receiver" and "output to main tv") are coming from and going to.
In my case that little loop has nothing to do with the satellite connections. It is for the OTA/cable TV connections.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:19 PM   #14

Weirba I have determined that this is the case with mine as well. I bought one of these testers and figured out which cable was going where. The cable that should be running to the in motion outlet which I would use same as you to go to the second satellite connection on the pvr actually terminates in the basement on the passenger side towards rear where all the satellite cables except for this one are connected and continue on to their designated locations. There is a cable exiting the in motion outlet but the end of it I cannot locate in the basement. So I am wondering how to get from passenger side rear into entertainment system with a cable. I have called cs to get suggestions but am still waiting. When I get that done I think all will be good. Thanks guys for help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170331_173835.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	156730  

Tags
ada, canada