Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2020, 05:04 PM   #1

Trav'ler w/hopper3 again

I've used a Trav'ler - hopper3 setup for a long time in 2 motorhomes.
First time I used a DPH (hybrid) LNB because that was the only way it worked. I had to unplug the hopper during search or the trav'ler would never find a satellite.

Then they came out with the DPH42 switch, so I put that in and switched back to the DPP LNB. The promise was that I'd no longer have to unplug my hopper during search.
Reality was it rarely finds all 3 sats if the hopper was left plugged in. Said it did, but the Hopper wouldn't see em.

Also, the DPH42 uses a ton of power. It's included power supply is 1 amp @ 110vac, that's 10 amps @ 12 volts. In my Aspire, that's half my battery between "quiet time" and morning. No wonder I run out of power at 4am!

I heard rumors that "Newer Trav'lers" were compatible with DPH.
As I'd had my Trav'ler Turret replaced due to water intrusion, I checked the firmware versions, and called Wingard, and sure enough, the "odu s/w 1.12.31 h/w rev 5 in my new turret is new enough.

So this week I'm switching back. The new LNB is a "hybrid slimline".
New I just need to figure out what to do with the cables. And probably back the RV out from under some trees.

My question is, Which cable does the Trav'ler itself get it's sat signal from?
And should that be connected to port 1 or port 2?
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2020, 06:27 AM   #2

Jim

I did this switch in December and it was complicated. However, Winegard and Entegra will send you "installer manuals" that will lead you through all of it fairly easily. Entegra can send you the wiring diagram for all the diesel pusher coaches, showing the color codes and wiring schematic from the turret, roof, and the splitter located down in the basement and removal of the splitter and then insertion of a new splitter to take its place.

Frankly, I got the main television in the B going with a little help from others, and I have not yet tackled trying to get the bedroom television working. We use the bedroom television about 2% of the time and that is usually in one way or another, to help me debug some television problem at another location in the coach.... we are just not "you watch the living room TV and I'll watch the bedroom television" sorts of people. Nor are we, "OK, I'm going to got to bed and watch watch program X, and I guess that you are going to stay up until 3:00 and binge watch all three years of show Y" . Good bad or indifferent, we watch the same TV and go to bed about the same time. So, we really only need one television.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:36 AM   #3

I found a Current Winegard document on installing a Hopper3, which is now fully supported.

It details installation with the Trav'ler's factory DPP LNB (DPH42 switch is required) with turrets older than 2018.

And it also details installation with the DPH (Dish Pro Hybrid) LNB (and no switch.)
The DPH only uses 1 cable down from the roof, the cable must run from Port 1 on the LNB to Port C into the Trav'ler, then Port C out of the Trav'ler to a Dish Hybrid Solo Hub.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:42 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
I found a Current Winegard document on installing a Hopper3, which is now fully supported.

It details installation with the Trav'ler's factory DPP LNB (DPH42 switch is required) with turrets older than 2018.

And it also details installation with the DPH (Dish Pro Hybrid) LNB (and no switch.)
The DPH only uses 1 cable down from the roof, the cable must run from Port 1 on the LNB to Port C into the Trav'ler, then Port C out of the Trav'ler to a Dish Hybrid Solo Hub.
Yep, that's it and how mine is setup, works great with the now compatible Trav'ler (production units starting 1/2019 are Hopper 3 compatible).

Let us know how it goes with mounting the slimline DPH LNB, specifically if the stow bracket with the little roller on it fits ok. I still have the non-slimline DPH LNB and all is good but would like to know in case it ever needs to be replaced.

FYI, in case you didn't already know, I believe you also need an adapter bracket to mount the slimline LNB. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VNHCBTF..._EhQTEbASKV34M
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:30 PM   #5

Rob,
I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow, silly me didn't take any.

Yes, I got both the slimline LNB and the new bracket. Both fit perfect, and the stow bracket went right back on.

To test, I had to back the bus into the road in front of my house, we have too many trees...lol.
Without the Hopper3, it went up and found all 3 WA sats ASAP.
Tomorrow I'll try it again if the weather cooperates, with the hopper this time.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:10 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
Rob,
I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow, silly me didn't take any.

Yes, I got both the slimline LNB and the new bracket. Both fit perfect, and the stow bracket went right back on.

To test, I had to back the bus into the road in front of my house, we have too many trees...lol.
Without the Hopper3, it went up and found all 3 WA sats ASAP.
Tomorrow I'll try it again if the weather cooperates, with the hopper this time.
Awesome! Thanks!
Old 05-25-2020, 05:49 AM   #7

It seems it's either raining or 90 degrees in East Tennessee this spring...

I did test operation with the Hopper 3 installed, but have not been on the roof to take pictures.

The unit works perfectly. It again found all three sats in record time.
The Hopper 3 test function completed in record time and showed all 3 sats with great signal strength.

I'd say this change is a winner.
No wiring changes.
Reduced power draw by 10 amps @ 12 volts, as compared to the DHP42 switch.
Hopper 3 can remain plugged in while the Trav'ler is seeking satellites.

This change required 3 parts:
Slimline 1000.2 Hybrid LNB https://amzn.to/3d4hHsK
LNBF Bracket for hybrid Slimline LNB https://amzn.to/3d2RvhR
Dish Pro Hybrid Solo Hub https://amzn.to/3etbJC3

Total cost is around $50.

I highly recommend this.

And I promise to get on the roof today with a camera.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:45 AM   #8

Jim

Im not surprised at all..... The install is easy when/if you know what you need to have and what needs to be connected to what. Thanks for the information.... that is the same install that I did back in December, and I am SOooooooo happy not to be a DirecTV customer any more.

Now, the only thing that still has me confused is that all the CS people tell me that I should be able to change local channels in the MyDish app or some other app that I have downloaded but dont remember its name, but I have never been able to do that task myself.... However, I have found that texting one of the DISH CS people via chat works very well.... takes about 5 minutes total and usually in the middle of chatting to them where I am now at a new location, the new channels have already popped up on the TV.

This may change but for now, I am completely happy with Dish after 3+ months on the road traveking all over southern California, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico and Texas. Yahoo !!!

Gary
Old 05-25-2020, 07:58 AM   #9

Gary,
To use the "MyDish" app to change your locals, your account has to be designated with Dish as an "RV account", otherwise known as a "pay as you go" account. Such an account can't have a "leased hopper", it has to be owned. Getting it setup that way is said to be difficult. I don't know anyone with a Hopper3 who is able to change their own locals in the app.

My account IS my house account. When we travel, I take the house's hopper3 and joey with in the RV.

Dish's tech support chat on the website is quick and easy and works well for me.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:10 AM   #10

Jim

Your situation and mine are the same, I believe. I have had Dish at the Sticks and bricks for maybe 20 years almost and have always been impressed with them. However, the coach came from the factory with (at the time), the only option Trav'ler on the roof.... the Direct TV Trav'ler (this was my previous 2015 Anthem). So I tried to transfer the old unit to the Cornerstone, but then got into a complete mess trying to get a new DVR sent to me while on the road... thus the change. Anyhow, my account, and my house are now officially called an RV account and pay as I go, and I am using the same Hopper 3 in the coach and in the house (unless you own the unit outright), they wont knowingly let you have a second one to keep in the coach, so I now have a mobile account for the house and move the Hopper 3 back and forth (2 wires .... HDMI and rf) and it is ready to go.

If you haven't done it already, be sure to install a power strip that can be turned off anytime you hit the road as the Hopper hard drive stays running virtually all of the time, and does not survive long if bounced down the road with the hard drive spinning. The last part of my ritual of retracting the Winegard Trav'ler is now to kill the power to the power strip for the sat antenna controller AND the Hopper 3. Having it start from fresh at the new location takes ~ 5 minutes but you protect your hard drive.

And, yes, the chat works well.... I guess the MyDish way of doing it just does not work for my situation, even though every DISH CS person will tell me that I can do it easily that way without the chat or phone call.

Gary
Old 05-25-2020, 11:19 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just did the switch this past week from the DTV to the Hopper 3 Setup. I like the fact that there is now not a power supply inline sucking away at our power. It took me about 30-45 minutes to switch all the gear over. New arm, hybrid lnb, reflector, and solo node. I think it took me longer to figure out how to get the hopper to find the western arc as the S&B has an eastern arc lnb. This setup also makes it so you don't need to get the extra cables out of the vent cap and can use the same one from the DTV line. Attached are a couple pics of the cables connected up on Turret.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8327.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	376.9 KB
ID:	286929   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8328.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	286930  

2019 Club Car Onward
Hurleys RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurleys RV View Post
I just did the switch this past week from the DTV to the Hopper 3 Setup. I like the fact that there is now not a power supply inline sucking away at our power. It took me about 30-45 minutes to switch all the gear over. New arm, hybrid lnb, reflector, and solo node. I think it took me longer to figure out how to get the hopper to find the western arc as the S&B has an eastern arc lnb. This setup also makes it so you don't need to get the extra cables out of the vent cap and can use the same one from the DTV line. Attached are a couple pics of the cables connected up on Turret.

I am interested in your conversion to Dish. The coach we have came with a Winegard Traveler on the roof set up for Direct tv and no other equipment. Nor do we have satellite at our home. What will I need to purchase to be able to have satellite reception in the coach. I understand I will need to get a Dish subscription. We have never used satellite before but will be taking the grand kids out west this summer so need to get this set up. Thanks.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:06 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
I am interested in your conversion to Dish. The coach we have came with a Winegard Traveler on the roof set up for Direct tv and no other equipment. Nor do we have satellite at our home. What will I need to purchase to be able to have satellite reception in the coach. I understand I will need to get a Dish subscription. We have never used satellite before but will be taking the grand kids out west this summer so need to get this set up. Thanks.
In my case I was able to install this way because my Winegard Travler was produced after 1/2018 and has the hardware update needed to run this way from the manufacturer. You can find the date code on the bottom of your control box. You will also need to know the model # of the travler turret. Once you have the date code and model# of turret I would CALL Winegard for the parts you would need. I sent them an email and received the wrong information. I fortunately kept researching and found out they told me wrong before the original parts shipped from Winegard. I believe on the older units you would need to install a DPH42 but not sure on that.

Attached is what I ordered for my unit from Winegard. On a 1/2018 or later Travler. Also needed is the Hybrid Solo Hub 203952 ordered from amazon for $10

Entegra Specific for My 2019 Coach
Remove:
Coax Leads from Turret to LNB
ARM
LNB
Reflector
Unplug Power from DTV SWM inverter

Install:
1. New arm
2. Hybrid LNB
3. New Reflector
4. New COAX lead Red goes to Line 1 Black to line 2 on LNB
On Turret Coax Leads Black goes to A and Red goes to C
5. Cable Line down to basement remains in C (in my unit it is the cable with Yellow electrical tape on it)
6. In the Basement remove Coax(yellow elctrical tape on this end also) from SWM inverter that comes from roof and Install onto the ODU side of the Hybrid Solo Hub 203952.
7. Remove the cables from the DTV splitter.
8. The cable marked Main TV goes to the Host port on solo hub
9. Master Bedroom and outside TVs go to the two Client ports.
10. Install Hopper in Cabinet with electronics inside. (You will need a short piece of coax to plug the Hopper in from sat cable outlet in cabinet. I install HDMI from Hopper to the Matrix In post so we can watch The front TV also. You would also do this if you are planning on only having the Hopper and no joeys or just one Joey so you can watch on any tv through the matrix system. In my case i have a Hopper 3 and 2 Joeys. I really am not a fan of the Matrix since the control box is in the basement on my coach and the remote is worthless in my opinion. Maybe I just need to go buy a new 2021 just so I can have the matrix in the electronics cabinet where it should've been in the first place.
11. Install Joeys if you choose to go that direction.
12. Remember to unplug Hopper from power before traveling as it will damage the unit and Dish will not pay for a new one. $$$

I left all DTV equipment in place in the basement in case down the road when we sell... its there if someone wants to switch back. The turret parts are stored in my garage and will go with the coach if we ever sell it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8328.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	287028   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8327.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	376.9 KB
ID:	287032  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wineguard Invoice Dish Setup.pdf (17.0 KB, 31 views)
2019 Club Car Onward
Hurleys RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:22 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Jim

Im not surprised at all..... The install is easy when/if you know what you need to have and what needs to be connected to what. Thanks for the information.... that is the same install that I did back in December, and I am SOooooooo happy not to be a DirecTV customer any more.

Now, the only thing that still has me confused is that all the CS people tell me that I should be able to change local channels in the MyDish app or some other app that I have downloaded but dont remember its name, but I have never been able to do that task myself.... However, I have found that texting one of the DISH CS people via chat works very well.... takes about 5 minutes total and usually in the middle of chatting to them where I am now at a new location, the new channels have already popped up on the TV.

This may change but for now, I am completely happy with Dish after 3+ months on the road traveking all over southern California, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico and Texas. Yahoo !!!

Gary
Gary the image shows where in the MyDish app you would be able to change the service address if your account supports it. My account is shown and does NOT support changing my service address as I have a leased receiver.

However I've been using the chat method for over 6 years now and as others have reported it is quick and easy. In fact it has improved considerably in the last couple years. I log into my account, paste in my boilerplate text with new service address and usually within 5 minutes it's done. The record is under one minute.

The chat method actually has a slight advantage over the app in that in some cases you can chose what market you want to be in if there are more than one within your spot beam. For example in mid/north FL if you are in the Jacksonville market there are no HD locals on the Western arc (only the eastern arc), whereas Orlando has HD locals on both arcs. Both markets are within the same spot beam so you could give an address in your chat that is within the Orlando market to be sure you received HD locals with your Western arc LNB. Of course you will receive local news and weather from Orlando in this example.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20200526-080240_MyDISH.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	287033