RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2020, 05:37 PM   #1
GKW

Trimming trees in Camp sites

We have noticed RV campsites pretty much filled to capacity this summer. Even after Labor Day when the traffic has normally slimed down considerably as before Covid 19, there hadnít been much change. We have had to take sites when one can be found that have been very marginal for a 45 ft RV. The biggest problem is finding a way through the untrimmed trees that seem to be common in many parks now without scuffing up the RV. I have decided to add a heavy duty pair of shears and a hand held battery powered chainsaw in the RV to do my own landscaping and clearing by pre-running the route to the site and whacking off obviously interfering brush I canít dodge that I can reach and clearing what could wreak havoc with a paint job. So far the few parks I have done this at have actually been quite appreciative and agreed to dispose of the brush cut and admit they have been hard pressed to keep up with the ground work. I get to save my paint and so far everyone is happy. Better than having to deal with expensive painting body work.,
GKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 05:47 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have trimmed trees in RV Parks in almost every State we have camped in. I had only one Park where they said something and then later told me it was OK. My tree trimming pole is 14' when fully extended.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:14 PM   #3

I also frequent parks that are overgrown with trees and bushes....I carry clippers and branch saw and trim as needed for slide deployment and/or satellite reception. I've gotten a few dirty looks, and a few thumbs up as well.
jmorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:12 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I carry loppers and a limb saw.

The way I see it is that if clear the site myself, I am doing them a favor, and saving time getting into my spot. They would have to cut the same branches out of the way for me or the next visitor.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKW View Post
We have noticed RV campsites pretty much filled to capacity this summer. Even after Labor Day when the traffic has normally slimed down considerably as before Covid 19, there hadnít been much change. We have had to take sites when one can be found that have been very marginal for a 45 ft RV. The biggest problem is finding a way through the untrimmed trees that seem to be common in many parks now without scuffing up the RV. I have decided to add a heavy duty pair of shears and a hand held battery powered chainsaw in the RV to do my own landscaping and clearing by pre-running the route to the site and whacking off obviously interfering brush I canít dodge that I can reach and clearing what could wreak havoc with a paint job. So far the few parks I have done this at have actually been quite appreciative and agreed to dispose of the brush cut and admit they have been hard pressed to keep up with the ground work. I get to save my paint and so far everyone is happy. Better than having to deal with expensive painting body work.,
Have you seen the battery powered Stihl chain saw trimmer? What a great invention. Worth the $150.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:21 PM   #6
GKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl II View Post
Have you seen the battery powered Stihl chain saw trimmer? What a great invention. Worth the $150.

I will have to take a look at that one. Thanks for the tip.
GKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:23 PM   #7

As a camp host, I would suggest you ask for permission first. Cutting branches or even picking up fallen dead wood is strictly forbidden in most state/public parks. In CA Redwood State parks, a person would be fined just for tying a clothes line or hammock rope around a tree.
Can you imagine what a park would look like after a couple of seasons of campers doing uncontrolled branch trimming? Not all campers use common sense!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:06 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
We've got the Ryobi 14" 40v chainsaw at home & love it. We have most all the Ryobi battery tools. DH used the chainsaw to help cut up 50ft tall, 12-14" diameter felled trees on his dad's farm. Lightweight, even with the battery attached, has an excellent safety lever, multi-speed switch & even I've used it a time or 2. You can get the 10" 18v one for much less which would probably do for small branches needing cleared at a campsite & where the lesser amp hours would not be a problem.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:24 PM   #9

Quote:
I have always carried a manual pole trimmer with saw on the end but just picked up the new Milwaukee Hatchet, I already have a slew of Milwaukee tools and batteries along with their chainsaw so Iím set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B820F9E2-64CB-4F3E-9FEE-FEEE935EB5A2.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	305965  
BMGM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:31 PM   #10

Headline
"Trees died....camper charged in their deaths"

YES overgrown tree limbs can be a real PITA but I would never open myself up to the 'liability' issue

Contact CG Staff FIRST....before embarking on self help
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:16 AM   #11

I dont patronize most state and federal parks for exactly that reason. Most have a hard time handling a 45' coach ln their roads, and their care of trees and bushes leaves a lot to be desired. I tried it for a year or so and then just gave up.... my coach costs way too much money to have to worry about limbs and brush. Its too bad, but that is the way it has to be.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:25 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
As a camp host, I would suggest you ask for permission first. Cutting branches or even picking up fallen dead wood is strictly forbidden in most state/public parks. In CA Redwood State parks, a person would be fined just for tying a clothes line or hammock rope around a tree.
Can you imagine what a park would look like after a couple of seasons of campers doing uncontrolled branch trimming? Not all campers use common sense!
That is the problem, most of us here are 45 foot and don't fit in those type of parks. The parks we do fit in are mostly private, but not maintain well enough that we still don't fit without doing cosmetic damage to our rig. In State Parks if they were properly maintaining the sites, there would be no problem. Some State Parks are awesome, others not so much.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
That is the problem, most of us here are 45 foot and don't fit in those type of parks. The parks we do fit in are mostly private, but not maintain well enough that we still don't fit without doing cosmetic damage to our rig. In State Parks if they were properly maintaining the sites, there would be no problem. Some State Parks are awesome, others not so much.

In State Parks, 45' MH are only a small percentage of their patrons. SP's are designed and maintained for the general public's use, like tents, popups and all sizes of rigs. Not every space is 45' MH accessible and it is not suppose to be that way. As camp host, we have more issues when trying to park MH's next to tent campers, they just don't mix well! Also, most SP's were built before the large MH trend.
Your version of a site not being maintained with low branches present is another person's idea of a private site.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:17 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
In State Parks, 45' MH are only a small percentage of their patrons. SP's are designed and maintained for the general public's use, like tents, popups and all sizes of rigs. Not every space is 45' MH accessible and it is not suppose to be that way. As camp host, we have more issues when trying to park MH's next to tent campers, they just don't mix well! Also, most SP's were built before the large MH trend.
Your version of a site not being maintained with low branches present is another person's idea of a private site.
I can't argue with that, which is why we generally go to private vs. public campgrounds. On the other hand, these public campgrounds are supported by taxpayers, and we who drive 45 footers pay as much if not more taxes than tenters do, so we deserve some consideration. Are we not part of the "general public"? Trimming trees so that RV's can have access without damage would be a good start.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote