Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2021, 08:22 AM   #29

Boy, talk about old technology here!
Our 32 year old Foretravel coach has a "wall" switch mounted on the foot end of the bed platform, near the floor, that lights up (red) when the block heater is turned on.
The switch is labeled and there is a breaker panel near it that does have a breaker (labeled) for the block heater.
There is an electrical outlet in the engine compartment that the block heater plugs into and that is controlled by the switch and breaker.

Can't get much simpler!!
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2021, 10:42 AM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Boy, talk about old technology here!
Our 32 year old Foretravel coach has a "wall" switch mounted on the foot end of the bed platform, near the floor, that lights up (red) when the block heater is turned on.
The switch is labeled and there is a breaker panel near it that does have a breaker (labeled) for the block heater.
There is an electrical outlet in the engine compartment that the block heater plugs into and that is controlled by the switch and breaker.

Can't get much simpler!!
32 years ago was way before manufactures started cutting corners. Do the current high dollar Foretravels still have that switch?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:40 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Our 2004 Allegro Bus had that same setup. We did have a problem with it though. Our German Shepherd would lay there and lean against the rocker switch, turning it on all the time during our summer travels.

On our '07 Bus Tiffin had utilized a solenoid that controlled the block heater's outlet in the engine bay. The low voltage switch was in the cockpit area where he couldn't reach it.

Plus you could see if it was left on by the red pilot light when starting the engine.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 01:33 PM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Our 2004 Allegro Bus had that same setup. We did have a problem with it though. Our German Shepherd would lay there and lean against the rocker switch, turning it on all the time during our summer travels.

On our '07 Bus Tiffin had utilized a solenoid that controlled the block heater's outlet in the engine bay. The low voltage switch was in the cockpit area where he couldn't reach it.

Plus you could see if it was left on by the red pilot light when starting the engine.
Entegra must have copied Travel Supreme on the engine heat connection. My 02 Travel Supreme was also manual plug in same as the 21 Cornerstone.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 03:20 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Bob,

Is the 85 F a typo? I understood that an expected starting temperature of 32 F (perhaps 35 F) or below was the appropriate temperature to use the Engine Pre-Heat.
Spartan and Cummins still "officially" say 0F and above don't need preheat for the ISL9. I say officially, because, I doubt anyone would argue with preheat anytime when the temperature is below 40F.

Like Mark said, most wear is done at startup, so it makes sense to make startup easier.

That said, with my hate relationship with the rear electric hatch, I usually only preheat when it gets down in the teens or lower. I turn off my common sense voice in my head, and repeat to myself, "Cummins says..."

Steve
Old 11-19-2021, 09:13 AM   #34

Get a wifi enabled plug and plug that inline with your block heater an use the app to turn the plug off/on from anywhere in the world. (or the comfort of you recliner 40 feet in front of it)
If the plug is in the engine bay (mine is not) you may need to track the depth of those two inline to keep them inside the weather proof box.
That setup works very well for me.
jeff.herren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 06:47 AM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Hello all

How about some background education for those of us that are still new to the RV world?

- At what temperature do you turn on the heater?
- When do you plug in (or turn on) the heater?
- How long does it have to be on before the engine is "ready"?
- If you have access to shore power, would it be better to use a 12 gauge extension cord?

Be safe

Dr. Mike
Dr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 06:59 AM   #36

Cruzer, do what I do during the times I know I will NOT be using the block heater. I trip the breaker to the "OFF" position.
Do that and your furry companion can lean on the switch all he wants.
Last summer I inadvertently tripped my switch. This was before I started the practice of tripping the breaker. The DW asks me one day why so much heat was coming off the radiator.
You should have seen the increase in our electric bill!!! I don't know how long the heater was on, but the electric company must have been happy.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:03 AM   #37

Responses in SOLID LETTER CAPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mike View Post
Hello all

How about some background education for those of us that are still new to the RV world?

NO "ABSOLUTE" ANSWER. CERTAINLY IF BELOW FREEZING. BUT THAT IS WHEN YOU REALLY NEED IT. SURE, BELOW 45 DEGREES OR SO, IT IS EASIER ON THE ENGINE TO BE PARTIALLY WARMED UP. MORE "BEST PRACTICES" VS "WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO".

DEPENDS ON THE AMBIENT TEMPERATURE, WATTAGE OF YOUR HEATER AND SIZE OF ENGINE. UNLESS BELOW FREEZING, AN HOUR OR TWO IS GENERALLY ENOUGH. BELOW FREEZING TWO TO THREE HOURS.

- If you have access to shore power, would it be better to use a 12 gauge extension cord? IF ON 15 AMP SHORE POWER, ABSOLUTELY. IF ON 30 AMP-- IF USING OTHER HIGH-AMP APPLIANCES, IF ADDING THE BLOCK HEATER WOULD TAKE YOUR POWER CONSUMPTION CLOSE TO 30 AMPS, YES. IF ON 50 AMP, NO REASON.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:20 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mike View Post
Hello all

- When do you plug in (or turn on) the heater?
- If you have access to shore power, would it be better to use a 12 gauge extension cord?

Be safe

Dr. Mike
Entegra Coaches are equipped with 50 amp service and the block heater is wired into the system so there is nothing you have to do. If all you have is a 20 amp receptacle an adaptor would still let you use your 50 amp cord reel cord, which is a #6 AWG.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, heat, heater