Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-13-2021, 12:39 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 4
Two 12 volt batteries versus Four 6 volt, yes or no

After spending a couple days searching the forum all I have done is confuse myself, I'm researching replacement batteries for our 2014 Aspire. We don't dry camp so I don't think the extra money is worth the agm batteries but the problem is finding a good 6 volt deep cycle battery that is available. I had a conversation with a gentleman and he recommended using two 12 volt batteries instead of four 6 volts, said they would last longer and produce more power. Talked with Entegra and they do not recommend it but could not or would not say why. Looking for some clarification from all you smarter people than me. Thanks
__________________
Brian & Debbie
2014 Entegra Aspire 44b
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD
welcher13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2021, 01:04 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 18,911
Four 6V batteries will provide MORE amp hours then Two 12V batteries

6V are deep cycle batteries
12V are NOT true deep cycle batteries


Both set ups provide 12VDC....just better amp hour usage with 6V
__________________
Is it time for YOUR Medication or Mine?
Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:09 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
brobox's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SW FL
Posts: 26,473
The gentleman gave you incorrect information. There are more amps in a four deep cycle 6v batteries than there are in two 12v deep cycle batteries. Therefore longer life with the 6v. Amps are the important measurement in a MH, 12v is 12v, it's how long it last is the improvement part.

The are battery experts here that can give a better explanation, but that sums it up.
__________________
Chuck in SW FL
Digital 2021 Cornerstone "B"
A "Digital" 2019 Cornerstone "B" Traded
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:10 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,903
While there ARE deep cycle 12 VDC batteries, the huge volume of 6 VDC deep cycle batteries made for golf carts make them less expensive per amp-hr.
__________________
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38FDDS. Ex: 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240
wolfe10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 04:11 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
MRUSA14's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,364
There must be good reasons why virtually every rv manufacturer uses 6V batteries and nobody uses 12v batteries as house battries.
__________________
Marc and Jill, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 04:25 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 28,970
Entegra robably doesn't recommend it because you won't have the battery capacity to properly power your inverter.

A large, but not two man heavy, 12 volt battery is about 100 AH. 2 gives you 200 AH.

A 6 volt battery has 200+ AHs. 2 of them is still 200 AH but 12 volts.
4-6 volt batteries adds up to 400+AHs.

You can do that with 2- 160 lb 12 volt batteries but at twice the cost and who wants to lift them.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 04:32 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jim_HiTek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Full time RV'er
Posts: 3,929
Note that a TRUE 12 volt DEEP CYCLE battery would be nearly twice as large as a normal 12 volt starting battery. They do make them, they are heavy and huge. I made the mistake of helping a neighbor lift a set into his battery trays and ruined my knees. As others have stated, we use 6 volt deep cycle because they last longer when you are running on battery power vs 2X standard 12 volt.
__________________
'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:10 PM   #8
Senior Member


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
While there ARE deep cycle 12 VDC batteries, the huge volume of 6 VDC deep cycle batteries made for golf carts make them less expensive per amp-hr.
That only depends on what batteries you use and how many AH
6v duracell 230 AH batteries are $169.88. You need 4 of them to get 12v, wired in series/parallel to get 12v 460AH. That's $1.44 per AH

I just put 3 Duracell 120ah flooded deep cycle batteries in mine for $68.99 each at Sams Club. But I'll do the calculations on 4 batteries since that what are being use for the GC batteries. 4 12v 120 ah group 27 batteries give 480ah. That's $.57 per amp hour. I had room for 1 more, didn't figure I would need them.

As for weight, the GC I just quoted is 62# That's 248# The Group 27's that I bought weigh 48.6 pounds, or $194#.

You are correct, the huge volume of the GC make them heavier, AND you can draw them down further, and probably get more cycles out of them, at nearly 3 times the price per Ah.

The debate for 6v GC batteries Vs 12V deep Cycle vs LiOP4 will continue. It's all about what you use them for, how long, who often to replace them, and your budget.
__________________
2006 Winnebago Journey
39K
Cat C7
amosnandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:26 PM   #9
Senior Member


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Four 6V batteries will provide MORE amp hours then Two 12V batteries

6V are deep cycle batteries
12V are NOT true deep cycle batteries


Both set ups provide 12VDC....just better amp hour usage with 6V
The reason 4 GC batteries provide more AH than 2 12v Deep cycle is the weight of the lead in them. GC batteries are pretty much all the same. They weigh in at 68# and are about the size of a group 24 flooded lead acid battery. A group 24 Deep Cycle can weigh 43 to 57#.

Then it goes on, most 6V GC batteries are rated at 230 Ah, so 4 wired series/parallel give you 460 Ah at 272#

The top shelf 57# 12v are 120 Ah and 4 of them gives you 480Ah at 228#

It's about an even trade. I've had both and correctly sized and wired see really no difference. the GC may handle the startup surge a little better but that's about it. Time running the TV or fridge is about even.

The debate will go on. 6V GC vs 12V Deep Cycle vs Lithium is still there.
__________________
2006 Winnebago Journey
39K
Cat C7
amosnandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:31 PM   #10
Senior Member


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
The gentleman gave you incorrect information. There are more amps in a four deep cycle 6v batteries than there are in two 12v deep cycle batteries. Therefore longer life with the 6v. Amps are the important measurement in a MH, 12v is 12v, it's how long it last is the improvement part.

The are battery experts here that can give a better explanation, but that sums it up.
You are correct. There are more amp hours in 4 GC batteries than two 12v batteries. But when you go to 4 group 27 vs 4 GC the are virtually the same, weigh a little less and cost way less.
__________________
2006 Winnebago Journey
39K
Cat C7
amosnandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:34 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 28,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
That only depends on what batteries you use and how many AH

6v duracell 230 AH batteries are $169.88. You need 4 of them to get 12v, wired in series/parallel to get 12v 460AH. That's $1.44 per AH



I just put 3 Duracell 120ah flooded deep cycle batteries in mine for $68.99 each at Sams Club. But I'll do the calculations on 4 batteries since that what are being use for the GC batteries. 4 12v 120 ah group 27 batteries give 480ah. That's $.57 per amp hour. I had room for 1 more, didn't figure I would need them.



As for weight, the GC I just quoted is 62# That's 248# The Group 27's that I bought weigh 48.6 pounds, or $194#.



You are correct, the huge volume of the GC make them heavier, AND you can draw them down further, and probably get more cycles out of them, at nearly 3 times the price per Ah.



The debate for 6v GC batteries Vs 12V deep Cycle vs LiOP4 will continue. It's all about what you use them for, how long, who often to replace them, and your budget.
I can only find 90 AH Duracell GP27 batteries.
That 360AH total with 4 batteries.

You are also seriously overstating the price of a GC 2, 6 volt battery's. Around $100 a piece for 4 will get you 400 AH.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:35 PM   #12
Senior Member


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by welcher13 View Post
After spending a couple days searching the forum all I have done is confuse myself, I'm researching replacement batteries for our 2014 Aspire. We don't dry camp so I don't think the extra money is worth the agm batteries but the problem is finding a good 6 volt deep cycle battery that is available. I had a conversation with a gentleman and he recommended using two 12 volt batteries instead of four 6 volts, said they would last longer and produce more power. Talked with Entegra and they do not recommend it but could not or would not say why. Looking for some clarification from all you smarter people than me. Thanks
Since you don't boondock, you could get by just fine with 2 12v batteries. Or 3 for that matter. You are correct, finding GC batteries is more difficult. And expensive.

I have had both and prefer to use 3 series 27 Flooded deep cycle. Weighs less, and has all the power I ever need. Lot's cheaper too.
__________________
2006 Winnebago Journey
39K
Cat C7
amosnandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:48 PM   #13
Senior Member


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I can only find 90 AH Duracell GP27 batteries.
That 360AH total with 4 batteries.

You are also seriously overstating the price of a GC 2, 6 volt battery's. Around $100 a piece for 4 will get you 400 AH.
Your $100 GC batteries are only 45Ah, Here are the big ones at 230 AH.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...BoCG1sQAvD_BwE

I bought these on sale this spring for $68.99 and they are 120Ah.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/duracell-...=plp_product_1

And while I don't expect to get a full 360 Ah out of them, they are more than enough to run the fridge, furnace and TV overnight. The last set I had lasted 5 years, so cost effective to me, plus I can get them anywhere.
__________________
2006 Winnebago Journey
39K
Cat C7
amosnandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:03 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
bevandtomH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,381
We donít boon dock much either other than Harvest Hosts. But we replaced the original four house batteries with Lifeline AGMís. Could not be happier.
2014 Aspire.
__________________
___________
Tom & Bev, Riley(3yo Lab)
2014 Entegra Aspire 44b
2017 Jeep JKU
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
12 volt, batteries



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Two or four 6 volt batteries? Nodrama43 Outdoors RV Owner's Forum 57 12-12-2018 11:00 AM
To two 6 volt or not to two 6 volt. That is the question Ricker991 iRV2.com General Discussion 9 10-17-2018 09:23 AM
What are the advantages to having a diesel vs gas/ or vise versa? Grandpadave Cummins Engines 45 11-05-2011 09:05 AM
Hitch-Vise is great! SeeTheUSA Gear and Product Discussions 0 06-30-2009 04:42 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.