Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2021, 06:45 PM   #1

Uh Oh!

After spending the past 10 days on the road without a single issue with my 2012 Aspire I am rolling along I-10 westbound at about 65mph out of Jacksonville and “bling” I get this check engine light!….dammit! I stop at the nearest rest stop and retrieve the code. It is DEF emissions related and everything I can find is all over the place from “the coach just needs to regen” all the way to “it is going to derate to 25% and leave you stranded along the highway.” I am about 150 miles from home and the coach is running fine. I leave the rest stop in the middle of nowhere with intent to stop in Tallahassee and drop the coach off for diagnosis at the nearest Cummins shop. At about five miles outside of Tallahassee my CEL goes out on its own so I make the decision to press on. I finish the last 150 miles to the house without issue and no more CEL. Looking for opinions on what I should or should not do now given that the coach ran fine throughout the trip, the CEL seemed to have resolved itself and I drove nearly 150 miles after the light went out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CDD102CB-F30D-4BAB-A6D6-08180648D4F3.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	337242  
Motorhead-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2021, 06:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead-54 View Post
After spending the past 10 days on the road without a single issue with my 2012 Aspire I am rolling along I-10 westbound at about 65mph out of Jacksonville and “bling” I get this check engine light!….dammit! I stop at the nearest rest stop and retrieve the code. It is DEF emissions related and everything I can find is all over the place from “the coach just needs to regen” all the way to “it is going to derate to 25% and leave you stranded along the highway.” I am about 150 miles from home and the coach is running fine. I leave the rest stop in the middle of nowhere with intent to stop in Tallahassee and drop the coach off for diagnosis at the nearest Cummins shop. At about five miles outside of Tallahassee my CEL goes out on its own so I make the decision to press on. I finish the last 150 miles to the house without issue and no more CEL. Looking for opinions on what I should or should not do now given that the coach ran fine throughout the trip, the CEL seemed to have resolved itself and I drove nearly 150 miles after the light went out.
Maybe it did the regen and no longer sees a problem!
Old 07-25-2021, 07:03 PM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Gunter View Post
I have had that happen in 18 wheelers... By continuing to drive, it did an "enroute regen"..
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:05 PM   #4

If the code was a regen code, it has nothing to do with the DEF. It’s a DPF issue. You probably completed the regen while driving home and all is good. That’s how the DPF system is supposed to work.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Gunter View Post
That would be my “hope” also. Not excited about paying a Cummins guy $$$ to tell me nothing is wrong.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:14 PM   #6

CEL description…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DDD2A7C7-9B51-40B0-87BD-32D664ECCAA4.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	337243  
Old 07-25-2021, 07:18 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
That code is related to the Selective Catalytic Recovery system which IS the DEF system. It means that the exhaust NOx sensors are seeing more NOx than it expects it should. It could be caused by a bad DEF dosing controller, a dirty or clogged up DEF injector nozzle or the DEF pump.
It isnt related to the DPF so a regen isnt really called for but, who knows, it might help.
The good news is I dont believe that your code leads to the dreaded derate. It may have just been a slightly dirty injector that cleared itself up.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:31 PM   #8

I had the same code. Ended up replacing the oxygen sensor.
Deere Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:13 AM   #9

One thing I failed to mention was that before I departed my campground in Mayport I did have the coach idling for an extended period of time...possibly as much as 25-30 minutes. This is something I don't typically do but one of my campground neighbors came over to chat and interrupted everything I was doing while I was within minutes of pulling chocks...maybe a contributing factor?

I checked this morning and that code is no longer showing nor is it retrievable via the dash menu. Guess it is time to read up on the entire emissions system with some intent of performing some cleaning/maintenance of the sensors etc. before we travel again. I am a guy who is not totally adverse to throwing a few parts at an issue as preventative maintenance....much easier to solve in my driveway than on the highway!
Old 07-26-2021, 09:19 AM   #10

Quote:
One thing I failed to mention was that before I departed my campground in Mayport I did have the coach idling for an extended period of time...possibly as much as 25-30 minutes. This is something I don't typically do but one of my campground neighbors came over to chat and interrupted everything I was doing while I was within minutes of pulling chocks...maybe a contributing factor?

I checked this morning and that code is no longer showing nor is it retrievable via the dash menu. Guess it is time to read up on the entire emissions system with some intent of performing some cleaning/maintenance of the sensors etc. before we travel again. I am a guy who is not totally adverse to throwing a few parts at an issue as preventative maintenance....much easier to solve in my driveway than on the highway!
LOL, nothing personal but sometimes the, "Oh by the way I forgot to mention...", is a critical piece of information.

Your extensive idling probably caused excessive soot build up in the DPF. Once under way, that build up restricted the exhaust flow through the SCR and the NOx sensor detected the increase in NOx, triggering the code. At the same time, the DPF system automatically began a regen which you likely completed during your drive home. Once the DPF was "cleaned", the flow of exhaust through the system was normalized and the light went out.

If I am correct, you had no failures of the emissions systems and both DPF and DEF are interrelated but function separately.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
LOL, nothing personal but sometimes the, "Oh by the way I forgot to mention...", is a critical piece of information.

Your extensive idling probably caused excessive soot build up in the DPF. Once under way, that build up restricted the exhaust flow through the SCR and the NOx sensor detected the increase in NOx, triggering the code. At the same time, the DPF system automatically began a regen which you likely completed during your drive home. Once the DPF was "cleaned", the flow of exhaust through the system was normalized and the light went out.

If I am correct, you had no failures of the emissions systems and both DPF and DEF are interrelated but function separately.
Not to rain on your theory (which I like) but this coach has historically been known to go into REGEN while idling when it "felt the need". You can hear the idle speed raise and a change in the tone of the exhaust when it does.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Not to rain on your theory (which I like) but this coach has historically been known to go into REGEN while idling when it "felt the need". You can hear the idle speed raise and a change in the tone of the exhaust when it does.
Hey, we can use the rain out here!
Old 07-26-2021, 11:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Hey, we can use the rain out here!
I guess my “rain” reply was to simply trigger a question of why my coach did not go into regen while at idle (which I have heard it do occasionally since I have owned it) if the extended idle period is what triggered my barreling down the highway CEL? Not sure we can answer that.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:06 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Any DPF lights on your dash when this occurs?