Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2021, 09:06 AM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojack View Post
The US Forest Service did a test on what the exhaust temps were during a regen in trucks (Not motorhomes) and the average of the ones they tested was 1089 degrees. This was temp before exhaust coolers

https://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/pdf/08511816.pdf
Interesting reading. Not only does it not cover motorhomes, it doesn't even cover large trucks. All tested were 500/5500 series heavy duty pickup types so they had the smaller Cummins/Navistar/Ford etc engines.

Still a lot of good info though.

Later...
Ray
RayandWendy is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2021, 02:30 PM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Flanz
Your help in Middlebury is exactly how I feel this forum operates. You were able to offer an idea that may of helped someone else. Perhaps someone else will see themselves in your description of sitting in hangers, drooling and never driving their MH. It may even inspire them to make a change and get out driving more often. It sounds like you were lucky to have a background that you have benefited from, in that you can figure out, make your own repairs or have the means to pay someone else to make repairs. Not everyone has been so fortunate. In the meantime, I will continue to wax mine, hopefully drive it more often, and search out this forum for solutions to issues that I am unable to facilitate myself. Thanks again for the suggestion in Middlebury.
Old 03-14-2021, 04:19 PM   #31

Completely agree!!!
kenj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:21 PM   #32

Hey guys just reading through the thread waiting for the DW to finish her shopping. I don’t have a MH but do drive a F350 with the PS. I’ve also been a Heavyduty Field Tech for the Cat dealer in northern Canada. Just completed my 25th year. Just wanted to point out a few things for clarification. The DEF and DPF are 2 separate systems. A DEF failure like the pump, manifold/header, sensors affects the diesel exhaust fluid system-no regen here unless it’s @ start up to warm up the catalyst. The DPF or diesel exhaust filter collects soot and ash, this filter requires a regen to burn out the soot regularly. The ash collects and cannot be burned out using the regen system. The DPF needs to be removed and cleaned in a special piece of equipment or replaced. Running a manual regen wouldn’t repair a DEF issue. The ash fault code that the OP had would likely need to be repaired by a dealer such as Cummins because of EPA regulations. @ least on Cat equipment most fault codes relating to the tier 4 emissions systems need a password to clear. This is provided and recorded by the manufacturer-dealer only. A code reader is a great idea, I don’t leave on a trip without it. It is unlikely though that most will allow you to run a manual regen. @ best you are able to clear a fault that causes the engine to derate. Just trying to help out with some extra info.
Big Dozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:44 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
After reading this thread I'm glad I have stuck with my old coach.

Tim
Old 03-15-2021, 06:26 AM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dozer View Post
Hey guys just reading through the thread waiting for the DW to finish her shopping. I don’t have a MH but do drive a F350 with the PS. I’ve also been a Heavyduty Field Tech for the Cat dealer in northern Canada. Just completed my 25th year. Just wanted to point out a few things for clarification. The DEF and DPF are 2 separate systems. A DEF failure like the pump, manifold/header, sensors affects the diesel exhaust fluid system-no regen here unless it’s @ start up to warm up the catalyst. The DPF or diesel exhaust filter collects soot and ash, this filter requires a regen to burn out the soot regularly. The ash collects and cannot be burned out using the regen system. The DPF needs to be removed and cleaned in a special piece of equipment or replaced. Running a manual regen wouldn’t repair a DEF issue. The ash fault code that the OP had would likely need to be repaired by a dealer such as Cummins because of EPA regulations. @ least on Cat equipment most fault codes relating to the tier 4 emissions systems need a password to clear. This is provided and recorded by the manufacturer-dealer only. A code reader is a great idea, I don’t leave on a trip without it. It is unlikely though that most will allow you to run a manual regen. @ best you are able to clear a fault that causes the engine to derate. Just trying to help out with some extra info.
Thanks for the great information! Do you ever see a need to do a manual regen? I was going to get the NexLink to do manual regens. There have been times when I am at cruising speed (55-65 mph) and the regen starts. I will be at my exit or may be entering an area with stop and go traffic at 35 mph which interrupts the regen. It is simply not that easy to continue to drive at 55-65 mph until the regen is complete. My Spartan chassis training said to keep driving. If slowing down or stopping would interrupt a regeneration, I would find an area that would cause no damage and do a manual regen while parked. Do you think this is a good idea?
19Aspire44B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:47 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Wow! sure didn't mean to ruin your weekend.

Yes, I said DEF plagued engines because I have lost two DEF heads on a 19 and a 21 coach both with less that 2,000 miles. I have researched hundreds of posts where RV'ers as well as truckers have been stranded. Sixteen DEF and NOX sensors that cause problems that the OP is having now. These have all come about since 2010 engines, then Yes! I will call that "DEF plagued".

I mentioned a code reader will probably clear the code and YES Cummins is a good place to have it done. The DEF ash is more than likely caused from the amount of soot Gary said he had when his Turbo clamp lost the nut, which was enough to set off the smoke detector inside of the coach. But that would take someone with some knowledge of mechanics and the current DEF system. Not saying I am a 100% correct, but I did pass on research of what I referred to. Take it or leave it.

As for my mechanic background, USAF trained, 7 level jet mechanic one and two engines. 25 years hobby for profit Classic Corvette restorer. I am not a parrot on any forums. I post personal experiences, most documented with photos, or quote my sources and research.

If sharing what I have leaned from hard knocks and have experienced with my own coaches excuse me. If we can't share positive ideas, why even have a forum?
: thumb:
jimc3165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:59 PM   #36

Stopped to address a problem and let engine idle about an hour. Next time I started I had regen needed indicator. When I ran highway speed it would clear but would come back on when I slowed. Shop performed a manual regen and clear since. I don’t leave it idle for long period any more. Shop cost for fix was about $350.

2009 DutchStar 400 Cummins
rvvolunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:08 AM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvvolunteer View Post
Stopped to address a problem and let engine idle about an hour. Next time I started I had regen needed indicator. When I ran highway speed it would clear but would come back on when I slowed. Shop performed a manual regen and clear since. I don’t leave it idle for long period any more. Shop cost for fix was about $350.

2009 DutchStar 400 Cummins
Thank you for sharing another real life experience. A 2009 was even before all of the "DEF plagued" sensors I learned from a similar experience, my dash AC being leaked check all day, and the OP's loose turbo clamp, it doesn't take much to set one of the new 16 "DEF plagued" sensors off. If just one of the sensors get out of sync, or is doing it's job, regeneration comes into play. In "most" cases, highway driving corrects the problem. Other times, if a code reader is not handy, it is a trip to the shop. $350. is a little high for a simple, no labor, procedure, but I guess they changed for the use of their equipment and expertise.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:54 AM   #38

BROBOX

Chuck...Ireally appreciate your input. Anything you post...I read. It may not pertain to my bus, but I still read it. I try to do most of my work and it has been very helpful. If some people feel differently, that's fine. They can go to whomever they want, lick their thumb, and PAY THE MONKEE. MOMCAT
momcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:58 AM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by momcat View Post
Chuck...Ireally appreciate your input. Anything you post...I read. It may not pertain to my bus, but I still read it. I try to do most of my work and it has been very helpful. If some people feel differently, that's fine. They can go to whomever they want, lick their thumb, and PAY THE MONKEE. MOMCAT
Thank you for the kind words. I try to be helpful with sharing personal experience when it pertains to the subject. I am just glad I can share and be happy and not try to find fault with everything in life. Except DEF sensors and the problems they cause.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, gas, gasket, repair, turbo